Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default the response from device is OPERATION_FAILURE

Please Login to Remove!

We're running BES 4.0sp3hf4 and Lotus Notes 6.5.2.

A user had their 7100 stolen -- a lot of that going on recently, it seems -- and we got a brand-new 7100 from Nextel. When I Enterprise Activated the user, the activation ended with an error on the device:

Quote:
Some databases failed to synchronize: Address Book
Checking the SYNC log, I can see a bunch of these:

Quote:
[26029] (03/20 09:21:38):{0xDD8} [SYNC-SSession] Drop ADD command because the response from device is OPERATION_FAILURE. [LastName, FirstName:84, DS=Notes, DB=Address Book]
I found the OPERATION_FAILURE message in several other threads, but no hints or things we haven't tried yet.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...RATION_FAILURE
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...RATION_FAILURE

We've been going back and forth with RIM support.... I have now completely rebuilt the device 4 times, re-activated it 6 or more times, done a fixup on the user's Address Book on Notes, enabled extended logging to get more info, deleted and undeleted the Desktop [SYNC] service book, etc, etc.

The kicker of it all is that the device seems to work just fine, despite the error-spew during EA. RIM did mention a couple of tidbits, but I'm not sure they give me comfort that all is well...

Quote:
We have seen an issue with handhelds running certain versions of 4.1 handheld code where certain flags within the operating system are non-empty. This is solved by Security Wiping before activating.
The reason why this command is failing may have to do with the wrapper data, which is not displayed to the user, being corrupt or incomplete.
Has anyone else had this much fun getting a new device up and running?

Last edited by pej; 03-20-2006 at 01:59 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

I have always found that when that error is encountered because wireless synchronization is enabled it does resync everything after the ea... I have not bothered to see what causes it in the first place, only that it does appear to be self-correcting.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I had some issues with new devices that were being assigned to users as a replacement for their existing devices. Lots of execs wanted the new 8700s and they did a switch which resulted in a partially working device.
What I did to correct the problem ( we also have Domino/BES system) was to remove the user from the BES. Ensure the state database is also deleted. You'll find it in the /BES/State directory on the Domino server. Also check the Profiles.nsf database to ensure the account is deleted/purged.
Then do a security wipe of the device. I know you did it already....but do it again.
Before re-adding the user at this stage...have you done the basics as far as the "stolen" device is concerned? That is, sent the kill command, lock the device, push an IT policy to disable the phone, and informed the provider that the device (PIN#) should be deactivated. If you have done this already, then check the logs to see if the device as acknowledged receipt of the instructions sent.
Now...re-add the user. Proceed with EA for this user. Should be ok after this.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

as with dev, we got this when some users started moving to the 8700. one of our first users with the handheld has since had the issue. i emailed her about the functionality of her phone, but it didn't seem as if she used it all that much (hinted that it was potentially a carrier issue with her description of the problems she was having).
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Corrupted database was the cause

Thanks for replies everyone.

dev, we did take all the precautions with the stolen device and also verified the kill got to the device. This was the first time (knock-wood) that we've had a device stolen, so the threads here were quite timely.

RIM pointed us in the direction of issues with the names.nsf file, suggesting we do a wired-sync to the device using Desktop Manager/Intellisync. This prompted us to take a closer look at the Notes database, and we found several hundred very strangely corrupted documents that didn't show up in the normal view(s). Clearing out those bad records corrected the problem, and the user's device is now syncing happily.

The other thing that (in retrospect) should have tipped us off to corruption was that the User Activity for the user's database showed the BES reading a LOT of documents -- well more than the number of contacts in the database. The BES was also re-reading the database on a very frequent basis, instead of the usual once or twice a day we see for our other roaming users.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #6
--G--
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g

I have the EXACT same issue, however, we are running Exchange SP1, with 7100g devices. The BES is Version: 4.0.5.6, and the handheld is v4.1.0.256 on BT (UK)

Now I have ran into the problem with one specific user, and his address book. He has 551 contacts, but everytime I nuke, rebuild, re-assing (after remvoing him from the BES, and then adding him again fresh) his device, I get the "Some databases failed to synchronize: Address Book " error, and it only loads up 391 contacts...always the same amount.

I have looked through what contacts are there, and which are not, but there is no patteren. I have tried all the suggestions on the site, and am at a total loss. The only way I can get it to add any more from his contact list, is to go into his contacts on outlook, open it, save it, and then it syncs!! why???

Any help would save me pullin out the last of my hair!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #7
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Have you all tried a Security wipe of the Handheld? the 8700 with 4.1 code has some weird issues if you don't wipe it first.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
--G--
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g

yea, Ive tried that also.

It is happening with all the users now. If I edit a contact (not change any details, just add whitespace at the end of the name, then delete it and save) the contact will come thru, I am searching on here for the answer, if I find it I will post back.
Closed Thread