BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Blackberry Software / Java Midlets - Wireless OTA Downloads!

Please Login to Remove!

I know there are plenty of post in regards to non-specific apps and software but most of those do not work on my 7510. I just thought it may be helpful to start one for specific models. I get a lot of questions in regards to BB software and I point the to this forum and the more info we can provide on this site the better.

Here are some that I came across, mostly from this forum ( I know they work on Nextel 7510):

www.magmic.com
www.terratial.com
www.verichat.com
www.reqwireless.com
www.softwinc.com/bin/browserboss
http://www.freepoc.org/viewapp.php?id=58
http://www.crossriversystems.com/PocketDayBB.htm
www.dynoplex.com
http://www.metamessage.com/
www.midlet.org
www.microforuminternational.com/blackberry

I know there's more but that's all I have in front of me right now.

If anyone knows anymore please post.

Last edited by BBFreak; 04-19-2005 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Updated URL list.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Default Java Midlet Games

You have to copy these from here by Right-clicking the name of the game, copy shortcut then email them to yourself for best results, click on link in your email and open them from your wap browser. That should open up the Download screen.

Astrogame
Swarm
Space Travel
Pang
M Type
Spruce Driver

There are lots more, I just want to test them before posting them.

All downloads may not work for all blackberries. I tested them on on the Nextel 7510 and 7520. It's all trial and error.

If you know of any java apps that HAVE BEEN TEST, please post them so everyone can benefit from them.

! All credit goes to www.midlet.org and Mark R. for posting the site name. All I did was test them to see which ones worked for my BB.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org

Last edited by BBFreak; 03-22-2005 at 02:03 PM..
Old 03-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Do you have screenshots for these games? i.e. homepages for these games? Might want to post the websites for each. I'd like to try, but I want to see screenshots first...

Example:

Screenshot Link: _______________
OTA Download: Astrogame

Screenshot Link: _______________
OTA Download: Space Travel

I'm pretty curious to see what the screenshots look like!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation Screenshots

All games listed so far are from www.midlet.org I want to make sure they get all credit, I am just putting the info out there for people who may not know about them. Please remember these are java midlets NOT games that were originally designed for the Blackberry, so buttons will be crazy and you will have to figure that part out. some games may also look kind of stupid on the screen, but are still playable.

AstroGame 1.0
You must save your planet from aliens. I haven't figured the buttons out for this one yet.

SpaceTravel 1.0.0
This midlet is based on the classic Asteriods. Although it has a nice twist, you do not shoot, but dodge incoming asteroids and collect items. A colour device is preferred to run this game.

Pang 0.9.2
A faithful adaptation of the classic very addictive video game. Shoot the balls, they become smaller, shoot the smaller ones, they disappear.

M-Type 1.0.0
Much like Street Fighter, M-Type is a first attempt at porting a popular game from the PC / Console world into the MIDP realm. A limited clone of R-Type, M-Type shows the concept of many a MIDP game to come

Kind of stupid to me but someone may like it.

Swarm 1.0.0
Those pesky aliens are attacking again. Dispose of them with hot laser destruction as they dive relentlessly at your ship. Features high score table.

Spruce Driver 1.0.0
Spruce Driver is a simple but very enjoyable driving game, where you have to keep out of the way of cars and obstacles, while collecting enough fuel to keep going.

I am still testing over 100 other java apps, I will keep you posted. I won't post them till I know they work without any problems.

Last edited by BBFreak; 03-25-2005 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Question

Can someone who uses Telnet check this application out for me. Seems interesting, but we don't use Telnet anymore and I am not sure if it is working properly. I have it downloaded to my BB and there were no bugs found, so it's safe.

MuTelnet 2.0.1

Description:

MuTelnet is the second release of the fully functional MIDP Telnet client. It now incorporates bookmark management, command history and control characters support. A very handy tool for systems administrators and IT enthusiasts.

Download MuTelnet 2.0 Here!

Follow the instructions from post #1 to get it downloaded to your BB.

Thanks

Last edited by BBFreak; 03-25-2005 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

You are much better off going with midpssh, a free, open source ssh/telnet application under active development.

http://www.xk72.com
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

I've been using the midlet available at www.turnplay.com to play chess. Works very well - (although you have to have a membership to use this midlet.) The screen is small for the blackberry and could be expanded. using a 7290.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Headtailgrep,

I couldn't get this program to download probably because of size (over 100k) I only saw jad or jar links, no alx files.

I may have just missed it but let me know how we can download it to our BB's, preferably OTA.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
I've been using the midlet available at www.turnplay.com to play chess. Works very well - (although you have to have a membership to use this midlet.) The screen is small for the blackberry and could be expanded. using a 7290.
Maybe because of my request? they've updated the program and the screen has now expanded for the blackberry. They have a very neat set up on their site, for different ways of playing chess, and the program works very well. Note that the s and d key control the replay of the game (took me a while to figure that out.)
You have to join to use the Blackberry client, but it's well worth it for chess fans.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

You have to upload MIDPSSH directly. They do provide .ALX files though, look again..

no OTA download due to size..
Old 03-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

I found it! I guess I'm just going blind, it was right there in my face. Here is the direct link for downloading:

http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/download.html

Thanks headtailgrep

I will try it out.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

The size of the COD file isn't the issue for MidpSSH and OTA delivery. OTA transfers are limited to 128KB - its 105KB. Not to mention that there is supposedly no OTA limit on COD files. I believe the issue lies with two things - 1) no MIME types setup for COD files and 2) the midpssh.cod file is a container file for a second midpssh.cod and its associated midpssh-1.cod files.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Thumbs down

Sheet is very simple spreadsheet application. It looks pretty good on the blackberry.

Note: It works pretty good with formulas. There are no import/export functionality and you can save workbooks. For a FREE alternative to a real spreadsheet you can use this, but you will have to type everything in yourself. It does not compare to Dynoplex or some of the other's that may be out there.

I give it a 1 out of 5.

Download Here!

UPDATE: I emailed the developer to try to get a larger version available for us to test.

Last edited by BBFreak; 03-30-2005 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: After further testing I noticed it is a very small app, only 9 rows and 9 columns, I can't really use it after further testing.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #14
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Default Nice Screensaver.

Here is a nice screensaver. This one is not free, it's $5 USD. It is pretty cool because it is animated.
Here is the link:

Click Here to read more...

Screenshots

This means there is hope for more advanced animated screensavers out there.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb

Microforum BlackBerry Games

Karpov X3D Chessis indeed one of the most popular games in the world, so there is not much to explain. Microforum's chess features 3D vision during the game and allows player to select from to select different sets of men. 4 levels of difficulty are available, so as to suit player fro the beginner's to the advanced levels. Possibility of playing human versus human, or watch interesting matches between two computer players.

Players: 1-2

Price US $ 9.95

for Blackberry Series 77XX
for Blackberry Series 72XX-75XX

for Blackberry Series 7100

Bubble GUN is a puzzle game where you must pair up 3 or more balls of the same colour in order to win and be a crackshot. It is possible to play in 2 modes: PUZZLE MODE: You must complete the levels before you run out of time allotted, When all the balls have exploded, you can move on to the next level. NORMAL MODE: You must try to get maximum score by exploding the greatest possible number of balls. The more points you score, the more the colours of the balls will increase.

Players: 1

Price US $ 9.95

Megablaster combines the playability of classic shoot'em all to a spectacular graphics set-up. 4 difficulty levels, 20 battles with remote future environments, monsters, and ever more potent and aggressive aliens. During battles you can collect up to 10 bonuses to increment your attacking potential.

Price US $ 9.95

MicroPool is a simulation of the 15-ball pool game. Nothing is left to chance, in this game, but the player has to get really skilled to win a game, by learning how to adjust the strikes. Easy to play, for even more fun. Player can choose from four different tables, thus increasing the game''''s beauty and Interest.

Price US $ 9.95

Out Road lets you enter the world of Runny Sobinsky, Baltimore''s hippest playboy. Today, you can slip into his shoes for a fantastic race along the 80''s Freeways, darting your car among trucks, pick-ups and saloons, attacking bends like there was no tomorrow and laughing at danger while enjoying extraordinary views, living life to the fullest. What are you waiting for,

Price US $ 9.95

Tactics Soccer is a classic strategic game, to be played in turns, that reminds us of the classic games for the console. Each team has unique players, with specific look and physical features. Very detailed colour graphics, in manga style. Lead your team in all its tactical aspects, with the aim of defeating you opponent and be victorious.

Price US $ 9.95

for Blackberry Series 72XX

Shadow is a platform game with multidirectional parallax scrolling. Guiding the two ninjas Kaede and Musashi, you must stop the evil Veril and his plan to summon the demon Murasaki. Each ninja has unique weapons and appearances, with various colored outfits. Discover each level's secrets!

Price US $ 9.95

MicroGP A Formula 1 game inspired to the classical simulators on PC, finally on your cellular phones! 16 championship circular tracks with different settings and atmospheric conditions: dry, wet and rain. Driving your racing-car, you have to win the championship or take part in a single race, trying to save your available fuel and controlling the state of your tyres, too.

Price US $ 9.95

Micro Puzzle Poker combined some elements of world famous Tetris with the rules of Poker, creating a puzzle game which can be easily understood (almost everyone knows the possible card combinations in poker), but which requires a good deal of concentration to be mastered

Price US $ 9.95

Click Here to go to Microforums website!

also
Check out Magmic if you haven't already!

Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #16
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

I know, I know this one has been posted before! I really like this program.

Here are some of the features:

METAmessage Services
Spell Check — This feature lets you spell check outgoing messages on your handheld as easily as you spell check on your desktop. You can scroll directly to questionable words, replace misspelled words from a suggestion list, edit replacement text, and add words to a personal dictionary.

Print — This feature lets you print all popular file formats (not just MS Office documents) or messages and print Web pages with their original format and graphics intact. Just enter a fax machine number! After the free trial period, there is a 10-cent fee per printed page.

Message Alerts — Custom alerts let users set notification rules in order to differentiate messages from different senders or with different subjects. For example, a user can set alerts so that any message from a manager or family member or any message with “Urgent” in the Subject: line appears as a popup window with an audible tune.

Listen — This feature lets you listen to Nextel NextMail™ and other voicemail attachments (.mp3, .wav, .lvp). When you receive an email message with a voicemail attachment, you click METAmessage Listen and enter a callback phone number — for your BlackBerry phone, your cell phone, a public phone, or any phone! METAmessage will call that phone and playback the message. After the free trial period, there is a 15-cent bandwidth fee per minute.

Use Concierge Services to answer virtually any question you may have. For example, you may enter a question, "When did Chicago last win the World Series?" and Concierge Services will quickly get the data and email it to you. You can get answers about travel, trivia, and transactional analysis — virtually anything.

Read — This feature lets you read attachments, converting all popular file formats — including documents, spreadsheets, images (.bmp, .gif, .jpg), and slides. Office files retain their original, rich text format (RTF) intact — you can navigate through a long Word document via the table of contents — and, you can read Excel spreadsheets intelligently — access multiple sheets, freeze panes, adjust cell size, copy cell content, and navigate with both Find and Go to Cell commands as well as with scrollbars sized relative to the length of the spreadsheet.

Get Quick Info — This feature lets you quickly access driving directions, flight information, stock quotes, and much more with just a few clicks.

Downside: There is a $6.95 per month fee (1st month free)

Let me know what you think of this program. I have had it for 2 weeks and love it. I can print emails that were sent to my BB, I have asked lots of questions to the Concierge Services and they get back to me right away with the info, even if it's a stupid question I asked just to test the program out.

The web address is listed up top with the rest of the URL's.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #17
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Large OTA Downloads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
The size of the COD file isn't the issue for MidpSSH and OTA delivery. OTA transfers are limited to 128KB - its 105KB.
Not necessarily true for all BlackBerries.

I downloaded VeriChat 330 kilobytes OTA. I also downloaded a 150+ kilobyte videogame OTA as well. I also downloaded a 220 kilobyte file as well.

I think it is very dependant on the OS you are using, and model of BlackBerry, as well as whether you are using BES. To maximize the chances of successful big-file downloads, I recommend BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.185 and later using BES 4.0 or later.

330 kilobyte wireless download: http://www.pdaapps.com/ota/VeriChat.jad
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-04-2005 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #18
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Smile

I didn't know they had OTA available, that's cool. I'm guessing you probably need to be on BES to download a file that big, right?

Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #19
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Lightbulb My Favorite Instant Messenger!

My favorite IM. A lot of people have complaints about this program, but I have no problems with it at all. I have tried all of the IM's out there and this is by far the best one to me, though Webmessenger was pretty cool too.

VeriChat™ for BlackBerry

VeriChat For BlackBerry is an always-on, unified instant messaging (IM) application for RIM BlackBerry devices. VeriChat keeps you connected to Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN & AOL chat networks, when you are on the go. Your buddies always see you as online (even when your device is in standby mode) and you can exchange IM messages with them from anytime, anywhere. Some of the key features of VeriChat are:
  • Customizable alerts.
  • Have multiple conversations with your buddies at the same time.
  • Sophisticated, easy to use UI.
  • Phone numbers, email addresses and Web URLs in conversations are automatically hyperlinked, and you can easily call, email or surf to these links.
  • Pre-defined messages to make everyday messaging easier.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #20
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Large OTA Downloads
Not necessarily true for all BlackBerries.

I downloaded VeriChat 330 kilobytes OTA. I also downloaded a 150+ kilobyte videogame OTA as well. I also downloaded a 220 kilobyte file as well.

I think it is very dependant on the OS you are using, and model of BlackBerry, as well as whether you are using BES. To maximize the chances of successful big-file downloads, I recommend BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.185 and later using BES 4.0 or later.

330 kilobyte wireless download: http://www.pdaapps.com/ota/VeriChat.jad
That is awsome. I never thought I would be able to download a file OTA that was this big. I tried it yesterday and it worked flawlessly. If you don't have the latest version of Verichat, you need to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
I didn't know they had OTA available, that's cool. I'm guessing you probably need to be on BES to download a file that big, right?
I stand corrected, you do not need BES to download large files. I'm only using BWC and it worked great, I think it may depend on the program.

Closed Thread