BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #41
DrDave

Model: 7130e
Talking I bought NextAction

Please Login to Remove!

I recently bought NextAction. I'm not connected with the vendor in any way.

It's cheaper throught their site than handango
"next-action.com" (Note forum won't let me post URL's as a newbie)

Basically, it does what is promised. Saves time and keystrokes which is valuable to me on a handheld device with a reduced keyboard (I have 7130e).

I like the ability to hide categories that are not relevant to GTD tasks. The synching with Outlook task list works fine. The only shortcoming I see is that NextAction can't see the notes field in an outlook task while the Blackberry task list can. This is not a big deal fro me as I use the Outlook task list for next actions more than projects (both used in the GTD sense).

The developer has emailed me asking for suggeestions so he doesn't seem to be a phantom. Don't have experience yet to know how responsive he is as there have been no problems.

Bottom Line: a good product if you are looking to streamline next action handling on your blackberry and need Outlook or Notes synchronization. Doesn't add a lot of functionallity over the RIM task list. Only you can decide if it is worth the price to you. I'm happy but then again, my employer paid for it.

I looked at ToDoMatrix before buying NextAction! definitely more powerful but perhaps overkill for what I want to do on my handheld. Also, I want synchronization with Outlook. I travel to places where my CDMA Blackberry won't work so synch through the web is not a good option for me.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder33cat
funkym,

So you have the software? Can you provide some screenshots (I know there's some at handango, but I'd like to see some "personalized" so we can get past this "vaporware" thing... Are you in some way connected to the vendor?

I'm particularly confiused by the fact that there are several "more established" (see: rex and pocketday) software companies that are saying Outlook sync is not readily possible without a lot of work - and yet, an unheard-of "company" with no other real software in their arsenal shows up saying their software synchronizes with Outlook.

Sounds like a scam to me. They can engineer Outlook synchronization, but can't set up trial software. Yeah, riiiiight.

Don't get me wrong, if someone (other than funkym) can chime in here (someone with a post count above the single digits) and give us the thumbs up on this software, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. I'm just very wary (and beating a dead horse, too probably...)
Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #42
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

@thunder33cat: sorry didn't find time to make some photos yet but they will be done, i promise. concerning your contact thing: i also contacted them asking whether they offer a money back or not. ok, the answer took a day but it was still in the normal market-reply-time.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #43
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Great find guys.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #44
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

sorry for the cross post, but i've been tracking this thread and the other review of the todoMatrix s/w and i thought you might be interested in the email i sent to the rexguys about what the web*desktop functionality is going to look like...

http://blackberryforums.com/showpost...4&postcount=27
Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #45
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

~DrDave... thanks for the info. Still skeptical, though. I'm glad you joined the board to share your singular opinion however. Welcome.
~funkym... ?

I find it odd, that a program that would occupy a much needed niche in the BB software world, particularly with OL syncing (with the number of people who desire this), hasn't pushed and shouted this capability from the rooftops. And why would they not have a vendor presence on this board... It seems to me that they could do very well. My opinion (obviously) hasn't changed a bit. I'll stop now.

OTOH, ToDo Matrix seems to be evolving nicely and responsively to customers' needs and interest. Keep up the good work! With TDM/IDM and PDLists, the task and list capabilities for the BB are expanding well.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #46
Taikun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Tmo

wow very great discussion...

its possible to integrate todomatrix / nextaction /etc with a calendar?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #47
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default Beyond contexts, what other features are needed for better GTD to-do / task support?

REXwireless will offer a version of todoMatrix in the future that is specifically tuned for GTD users. In addition to supporting the concepts of contexts which is already in the mix (while preserving delegation), what are other features that would make GTD capabilities more complete?

Thanks,

---the REXguys
Old 08-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #48
cruss
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: US Cellular

I am new to both the Blackberry (1 week) and GTD (3 months). I am very interested in Next-Action! and am glad to see the review above. I still have some other questions. How many other people reading this have bought NA? Those with it, how "deep" into GTD are you? How flexible is it? Does it take it's contexts from the tasks categories?

I don't understand why the "Outlook sync" seems so magical to everyone. It says that it uses the standard tasks data and just presents it in a GTD friendly way. I plan on syncing with something other than outlook so this makes me feel good about it working, as opposed to a outlook specific add-on to mess around with extra data.

And if anyone knows of any good bb-gtd sites, post them please.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #49
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Interesting discussion. Funny that someone with <30 posts is so skeptical of a couple advocates because their post counts are low.

Anyway, I'm a GTD 'club member' and have recently been looking to enhance GTD functionality on my 8700. I've read reviews about NextAction! and am considering it.

I have no doubt that this is a real company, with a real developer, behind the product. Other sources suggest this. There are various threads on Yahoo and Google GTD groups, as well as some discussions about NextAction at David Allen's forums here:
Gear, Gadgets, Software, and Toys - The David Allen Company

I guess this could be just one or two buddies pimping the software at all these places, but I'm just not that paranoid. ;)

For me, the issue is ROI. I can currently enter Next Actions (via tasks) and use my categories on the blackberry. It's just a little slow/cumbersome, and I "tend to" use pen/paper and then enter them into Outlook when I next fire up my laptop. I would LIKE to see if, with easier inputting process via NextAction, I would actually input them directly into the BB when I first think of them. But I don't know if I want to spend $40 to try that out. I do wish they had a free-trial. They potentially lost a customer here because I can't try it out first. I'm still deciding... I do also like the ability to filter to see only my Next Action contexts (categories) and not all the other notes or contact categories.

My $0.02.
-FP
Old 11-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #50
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

BTW - here's a source for NextAction! for $40.....$10 cheaper than Handango.

MobileSoftMarket
Old 11-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #51
pengrus

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof
Interesting discussion. Funny that someone with <30 posts is so skeptical of a couple advocates because their post counts are low.

Anyway, I'm a GTD 'club member' and have recently been looking to enhance GTD functionality on my 8700. I've read reviews about NextAction! and am considering it.

I have no doubt that this is a real company, with a real developer, behind the product. Other sources suggest this. There are various threads on Yahoo and Google GTD groups, as well as some discussions about NextAction at David Allen's forums here:
Gear, Gadgets, Software, and Toys - The David Allen Company

I guess this could be just one or two buddies pimping the software at all these places, but I'm just not that paranoid. ;)

For me, the issue is ROI. I can currently enter Next Actions (via tasks) and use my categories on the blackberry. It's just a little slow/cumbersome, and I "tend to" use pen/paper and then enter them into Outlook when I next fire up my laptop. I would LIKE to see if, with easier inputting process via NextAction, I would actually input them directly into the BB when I first think of them. But I don't know if I want to spend $40 to try that out. I do wish they had a free-trial. They potentially lost a customer here because I can't try it out first. I'm still deciding... I do also like the ability to filter to see only my Next Action contexts (categories) and not all the other notes or contact categories.

My $0.02.
-FP
If you thought they are a real company with developer and support, why not go ahead and buy it to try and let us know how it works?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #52
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
If you thought they are a real company with developer and support, why not go ahead and buy it to try and let us know how it works?
LOL - I told you: "For me, the issue is ROI."

Assuming it was a serious post and you weren't trolling...I'll explain a bit more.

If it were 20 bucks, I'd do it. But $40 seems a little steep for a couple additional features in a basic task manager.

Back when I was a palm user, I spent $40 on Dtbk5 because it totally reworked calendaring and had tons of features. As BB user, I've purchased several aftermarket software. I'm prepared to pay for things that add a lot (like Cryptmagic with desktop application and synchronization), etc. But $40 for a couple additional features....Ehh...

I'd be more inclined to pay the amount for TodoMatrix as it has many more features. Unfortunately, they are mostly features I won't use, so that's not for me. I just think the pricepoint is high for what it offers, and so the value add might not be there for me. Plus, I find this at a time when my discretionary funds are low. ;)
Old 11-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #53
AL904

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Yesterday, I downloaded a trial version of ideaMatrix. After playing with that trial for a few minutes, I was very impressed. I was pretty sure that I would use both ideaMatrix and todoMatrix.

Then, I looked for the desktop program for data entry and synching only to discover that REXWireless hasn't released it yet. I just can't see myself entering a lot of my existing data via my Blackberry to get my databases set up.

Does anyone know when the desktop/web application will be available? The website says a beta version will be out in November.

(I sent an email to REXwireless, yesterday, but haven't heard back from them yet.)

Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #54
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

They are beta testing the desktop now, not sure what the target date for release is. If you buy both, they have a silver package and give you a discount. I use both idea and todo matrix.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #55
pengrus

I do NOT recommend Nextaction!

Their online shop MobileSoftMarket never responded to any of my emails. The 30-day money back guarantee is not honored so far.

Compared to todomatrix, the NextAction is serious lacking features and basically not usable. You have to GO THROUGH each category/context to see what you have to do. That is big waste of time, and money for purchase such a unworthy product.
Closed Thread