BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
steveyos

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Emails still showing up in messages, multiple security wipes, though no email icons

Please Login to Remove!

Curve 9300

I'm trying to wipe this blackberry completely clean as I've finally managed to get back on android. This phone wasn't intended for me but I was the only one bored enough to use it (couldn't afford my droid at the time) so I setup my emails and all that. Now that I've got my own phone I tried doing the standard security wipe on the curve, but noticed when I got an email it still showed up on the phone even though none of my info was supposed to be on the phone. There's no email app icons, it just shows up under the messages app. I also can't select the email accounts option from the setup app but the other choices work.

I've tried the standard security wipe, the blackberry desktop software, and setting a password and purposefully getting it incorrect to trigger a wipe.

Any other suggestions, please? Unfortunately I can't just throw it in the ocean as it's not mine and I'm not paying for it.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Emails still showing up in messages, multiple security wipes, though no email ico

Go to the carriers BIS website with a PC and remove those email accounts.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Emails still showing up in messages, multiple security wipes, though no email ico

As devnul says, you need to log into your BIS account and remove each email account. And then you need to call your carrier to cancel the BIS account so the IMEI and PIN are released and the next owner can set up their email.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
steveyos

I had to cut out the important links that I can't post because "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more." Ugh. It's all from webapps dot blackberry dot com

"Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone"

"If the BlackBerry smartphone has an integrated BlackBerry.net email address, this address may be associated with a BlackBerry Messenger remote backup and restore database. If this email address will not be used in the future (this applies to any integrated email address that will not be used on another BlackBerry smartphone), the association should be removed. For more information, see KB23432."

I got to the back up files remotely but it's saying to configure at least one email address on this device.

Is there any chance I can just go into a t-mobile store and have them do it? I had no idea blackberries were such nightmares. I'm not paying for it and like I said it wasn't originally intended for me, and now that I have my evo I just want to get this blackberry out of my life asap. I tried t-mobile.com but I can't get anywhere finding blackberry-related stuff.

However, if I can do this easily online and it doesn't involve canceling the contract or anything and will just get all my stuff off it, please help me find the link. Curve 9300 on t-mobile. Seriously, please, help.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Do as we advise. That should fix it. You can find a link to the T-mobile BIS site in oour FAQ.

-->>Twitter

Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
steveyos

The tmobile one just takes me to a tmobile login page that doesn't seem to mention anything about blackberries, and I don't have a tmobile login. All the other carriers link to blackberry dot com and ask for the PIN and something else which would make things a lot easier since I have those. Any suggestions? By any chance is the faq's tmobile link incorrect? Or is tmobile just gonna make this more complicated than it already is?

EDIT: it let me register an account, I didn't think it would since the phone's not in my name. I'm trying to find something about this on t-mobile but so far I've got nothing. Still looking.

Last edited by steveyos; 08-05-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Call T-Mobile and have them remove the BIS association with the device.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
steveyos

I'm going to just go to the store on monday and burn the building down if they can't help me. I have no idea how people can use these things. I wish I woulda known it was going to be this complicated just to get rid of it so I woulda never used it in the first place.

I do appreciate the help though but I had to research what BIS and IMEI and all that is and I just don't understand how RIM is still in business. I'm going to go hug my white evo 4g now. I do apologize for the flaming of the device this forum is designed for but it just boggles my mind how outdated blackberries are.

If I manage to bring it into the store, have all my stuff cleared, and it still be linked to the contract it's supposed to be linked to just without my personal info, I'll update the thread in hopes of helping other people looking to do the same.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

For the pete's sake - the store cannot help you. Most are clueless. Do what has been suggested above.

It appears that the BB was not the device for you. Many of us seem to think they are very good. Governments and industry also seems to think that way.

Have a nice day

-->>Twitter

Last edited by Dubdub; 08-05-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It is not complicated. You could have deleted the email addresses from BIS from the BlackBerry, and still probably can if BIS is still associated with that handset. Just use the email setup app. Otherwise, the primary on the service account can call T-Mobile customer service number and have it taken care of. It really couldn't be more simple.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
steveyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
It is not complicated. You could have deleted the email addresses from BIS from the BlackBerry, and still probably can if BIS is still associated with that handset. Just use the email setup app. Otherwise, the primary on the service account can call T-Mobile customer service number and have it taken care of. It really couldn't be more simple.

It could be more simple and I have proof- it's called android

No seriously though, I already stated the general "setup" app won't let me set up any emails. It literally does nothing when I click on that selection, but things like bluetooth and such work. If I remember correctly there was an icon specifically just for emails, but that's no longer there. In fact every time I've tried to do different security wipes I end up with different icons showing or missing, or looking different.

As far as taking care of the problem though, does it have to be the primary contract owner? And I definitely just can't take it to the store? It has to be over the phone? The contract's in my uncle's name and he's not going to understand this isn't a big issue and I'll probably have to argue with him for several hours until he understands nothing is wrong with the phone. He's not very tech-savvy (hence buying blackberries) and I'd rather take care of the situation myself and then pass the phone on to whoever wants it.

I still couldn't find anything at t-mobile.com either, even after registering an account. It showed my exact phone and number and all that, it just didn't show anything about BIS IMEI PDQ ASAP whatever. If someone knows how to get to it on t-mobile's site and it's possible to do that rather than phones/in person I'd prefer that method, but t-mobile's of course the only one in that FAQ that doesn't load the correct page right at the start. And going to the site was of course the first suggestion in this thread anyway, from two people, so I'd imagine it has to be there somewhere.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

If you don't seem to want to go through the correct procedures noted above, try deleting the Service Book entries for the email addresses on the device.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Maybe it's not the OP's device as he stated. There are a few ways to get a BB. One is to steal it and try to reconfigure it. I'm suspicious the email's the OP is getting are the owners and not his otherwise he would have followed the directions given multiple times.
something does not add up.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
downsindro

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

it could be a lot more simple. this is why they moved to using the blackberry id.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsindro View Post
it could be a lot more simple. this is why they moved to using the blackberry id.
Huh? According to whom?

-->>Twitter

Closed Thread