Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Ominx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW
Default Opera Mini Installed

Please Login to Remove!

I was finally able to get Opera Mini installed this afternoon on my 7250. With the recent requests for the reqwireless browser, I thought I would share my success.

As you might know, Opera Mini was suppossed to be carrier only software intended for mobile users in Norway. Well, you know how the story goes. It has been leaked and now available from a number of places. It took me a while to get it properly installed, it seems the jad file a lot of people are hosting is incorrectly setup for BB. Nevertheless, I found a link to the low-memory version that works. http://atix.pp.ru/j2me/opera-mini/operalow.jad

There's also a high-memory version, but I couldn't get that one to download. Here's that link. http://atix.pp.ru/j2me/opera-mini/opera.jad

The biggest advantage to Opera Mini is Opera's small screen rendering technology and fast page loading. http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

The bad news is it's a little resource hungry, so the UI isn't quite that snappy. So give it a shot and post back your results.

Edit:
Now keep in mind Opera Mini is not designed or approved for any BlackBerry device. In my opinion, it really isn't ready for everyday use in this release. App load times can exceed 60 sec. and page loads are a little slow. I simply wanted to demonstrate the ability to get the browser running on BBs. Maybe future versions will be officially supported and we'll have a new browser alternative.

Oh and Opera Mini runs default in Norwegian, but you can change that to English in the "verktøy" menu under "instillinger" - change "språk" to English.

Ominx.

Last edited by Ominx; 08-20-2005 at 01:27 PM..
Old 08-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
hulsmsc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250

I tried it and it works, but really slow like you said. It also seems to take up alot of memory for the install.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Ominx

It is slow, and I'm not really sure why. Users that have gotten it to work on other devices tout it's amazing speed. It's too bad it doesn't work quite that well in this release because I really like the small screen rendering engine.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Sorry to be dense but how do I install this? I downloaded the jar file, then what?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

access this link from your blackberry browser:
http://atix.pp.ru/j2me/opera-mini/operalow.jad
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 AM   #6
xombi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I tried it by converting it first (following the info on here) so that I could install it via desktop software since I currently dont have even a wap browser (don't ask!, but yes I do have a data plan) anyway it just hangs permanently not sure if thats to do with the conversion or the software, can you upload the original file using the javaloader?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #7
Ominx

xombi, the problem you are having is with the conversion of the jar to cod. I too tried that and experienced the same thing both with the BB application loader and javaloader. It seems the only way to install it is OTA. I'm still experimenting with some things, so if I get anywhere I'll post my results.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
buddapaw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

T-mobile said they are releasing EDGE at the end of Septmeber maybe it may be quite useful then.
Closed Thread