BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What do we think about Get It Back?
Awesome, tried it, bought it, love it 3 30.00%
Tried it, enjoying it 4 40.00%
It's OK 2 20.00%
Not a big fan 0 0%
Total waste of time and money 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
JoeAdams

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Get It Back is pretty legit

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, I know this was just reviewed on BlackBerry news but I figured i would bring it over to the forum. There is this new program called Get It Back that you can download and it will help you track down your lost/stolen blackberry. Its pretty cool, I downloaded the trial thinking I would just be playing with some funky new toy for a few hours but decided it was cool enough to buy the full version. Just figured everyone on the forum would be interested in checking it out if they didnt see the review.

BlackBerryNews.com Review: GetItBack | BlackBerryNews.com

Convenience Software
Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Yep, it's a nifty little app!

Thanks for sharing this
Old 06-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
tschweitzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

The controlling your blackberry option sounds pretty cool. How shocked is someone going to be when they steal a BlackBerry and then someone knocks on their door and asks for it back.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
ma077146
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: 3019F3E6
Carrier: Sprint

Is there anyone that posts here, or does the company have any confirmed instances where this helped to recover a device?

Like Coupons and Free Shipping?
http://thediscountdude.com
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
JoeAdams

I think the software was just released yesterday no? It would be impressive if someone already lost their Blackberry and recovered it. I was messing with the software all night, the "this phone is stolen" command is hilarious. I can imagine a thief walking around with a blackberry and then pulling it out when it starts yelling at him and being completely locked. Serves them right.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
Is there anyone that posts here, or does the company have any confirmed instances where this helped to recover a device?
I have never lost my device but it is a very nice app.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Even if you are unable to get your phone back, the harassment aspects of this app would bring me a great deal of comfort. Like say, Britney Spears music in a loop. Or Text to Speech obsenities, or constantly calling yourself.

I would like to see a feature that lets you disconnect calls remotely.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
JoeAdams

Yea, even if I couldnt get my phone back (which I hope/think I could) I could at least annoy the hell out of whoever took it and make it essentially useless to them. I also like that you can track the sim if they switch the card, so you could go to a mobile carrier, tell them the sim being used and I assume get the information on the person who took it. Track that P.O.S. down.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
JoeAdams

Thumbs up Cool New App: Get It Back

Hey, I know this was just reviewed on BlackBerry news but I figured i would bring it over to the forum. There is this new program called Get It Back that you can download and it will help you track down your lost/stolen blackberry. Its pretty cool, I downloaded the trial thinking I would just be playing with some funky new toy for a few hours but decided it was cool enough to buy the full version. Just figured everyone on the forum would be interested in checking it out if they didnt see the review.

Convenience Software
Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
!3unn!3
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 31A318E2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAdams View Post

Convenience Software
Great stuff! Too big of an investment to let it go to waste; right? ;-D
Name- Mike
Loves BBF!!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

In addition to the BlackBerryNews.com post, there's already at least three threads on this.
One of which, you started.

Please don't post multiple threads.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
JoeAdams

Sorry, didnt know I wasnt supposed to post on more than one thread... I just know that sometimes I only look at one forum if I am looking for something specific and could miss it on the general forum... my fault, I'm kinda new on this site.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Two threads merged... in Aftermarket Software section, where it belongs.

It's a nice application.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
JoeAdams

Thank you sanders
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
!3unn!3
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 31A318E2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Two threads merged... in Aftermarket Software section, where it belongs.

It's a nice application.
Leave it to Sanders! =p
Name- Mike
Loves BBF!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
JohnBarrett

Model: Curve
Carrier: Verizon

I bought this app yesterday after seeing a review on another BB site. Good to see it getting some pub. I definitely think its worth the $10 to potentially get my $300 phone back if I lose it or its stolen. The feature to make your phone call any number the next time it is active is definitely the best (although I dont have GPS so I cannot speak to how cool that would be). There is also a way to hide the app apparently so a thief wouldn't even know it is installed, I have an email into their tech people asking about how to do it. Highly recommended, best app I have ever purchased for my BB.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschweitzer
The controlling your blackberry option sounds pretty cool. How shocked is someone going to be when they steal a BlackBerry and then someone knocks on their door and asks for it back.
Asks?!

Kamau
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

For lost devices, I can see how this app *might* be helpful in finding it.

For stolen devices, I think it would incredibly naive to think that this app would assist in any way of getting the device retrieved from a thief.
No law enforcement agency is going to try to track down your device based on some random website which claims to know it's last location based on GPS coordinates.
They have far more important things to do.

Besides that, a thief is going to take the battery out of the device and/or wipe the handheld before selling it to a pawn shop or dumping it on eBay.
Once the app is gone, it's game over anyway.

In my opinion... it's a fun app to play with, but nothing more than a toy.
One-time $10 fee is fine for this app.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-25-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #19
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Besides that, a thief is going to take the battery out of the device and/or wipe the handheld before selling it to a pawn shop or dumping it on eBay.
Once the app is gone, it's game over anyway.
Ooh, I didn't even think about that. It would be nice if it was somehow unerasable like the software for laptops.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #20
Spartan115
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hey Guys,

I am the developer of the program and appreciate the discussions/suggestions that I am seeing floating around the web on my new software. In response to some of the posts, you all raise good points. However, the assumption I created the program under is that the majority of the people who are swiping BlackBerries off of people on the subway are not the most tech savvy people. If the phone is locked remotely you can't access it without a password. Also, if the app is hidden (which I am posting instructions on how to do) the thief would probably not know that the application is on the phone. Thirdly, the ringer will go off continuously until shut down via the website, even after the battery is taken out and replaced, and even if the sim card is swapped (I assume most pawn shop dealers put a battery in it to test it before they purchase it). As for the GPS function. It works. if the cops don't believe it, you can try and find it yourself. Lastly, if you lose your phone, or if it is taken, there are a number of ways built in to get in contact with whoever happens and maybe negotiate a return of the device, maybe for a little bit of a reward, an option you didn't necessarily have before.

Essentially, if it falls into the wrong hands, you should be able to render it useless to them (at least temporarily) and hopefully get them to return it. If anyone has any other comments, questions, suggestions... feel free to post them here or PM me. I will try to check and respond as often as possible. Thanks guys!

-Dan