BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #21
Taikun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Tmo

Please Login to Remove!

I am still lost...so its possible to use skype and based on the correct configuration - there will not be a charge from the cellphone/carrier company?

and also the only charge would be from skype...?

am i right?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #22
soesraider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikun
I am still lost...so its possible to use skype and based on the correct configuration - there will not be a charge from the cellphone/carrier company?

and also the only charge would be from skype...?

am i right?
Close, but not quite. Assuming everything is configured correctly, you're using your cell carrier's data line, not the voice line. So there's no charge for voice/airtime, but the call *would* count toward your data quota. How much data, I have no clue.

So that means that you could call any other Skype buddy and only incur data charges. You could also call any landline in North America (until the end of the year) and only incur data charges. You could also call any *other* landline, but you would incur data charges, plus you'd need a SkypeOut account.

Hope that clarifies.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #23
kameonr

Model: 8700g

When you chat via text messages using this program, are you using SMS or data?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #24
soesraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameonr
When you chat via text messages using this program, are you using SMS or data?

Good question. I suspect it's data, b/c of the routing diagram on the WebMessenger site explaining how it works. I'll confirm and report back here after my next bill comes in, since I've been using it on a trial, and I never use SMS for anything else. So if I have SMS usage, then I'll know.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #25
soesraider

Default Still nothing from WM

An addendum to this thread is that I *still* haven't heard back from the WebMessenger sales ppl at the email addy their VP provided above or in another thread, and on the website. I sent them an email directly, and posted in the same thread as him, hoping to have my original questions answered. So far, nothing. I'm reluctant to spend the $ if I don't need the rest of the pgm, and doubly reluctant now that I find their customer service is sorely lacking.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #26
joeynaylor

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default WebMessenger does NOT use SMS for IM or voice

The short reply is that we never convert any data stream to SMS; we use only your data channel for transmitting presence information, IM's, and voice call intiation. By voice call intiation, I mean we pass the parameters for the call over your data channel. The call itself is then handled by your Skype account, which then calls you back over the cellular network (assuming you input your mobile phone as your call back number).

Also, please check out our FAQ's at the webmessenger.com/support/faqs.htm site as a number of these questions have been addressed there (many in response to posts on this board so keep them coming).

Specifc to SMS -
Q: Does each instant message sent from Webmessenger constitute an SMS message?

A: Instant Messages sent from the Webmessenger client do not constitute SMS messages, they use only the data channel, which in fact is used by your e-mails. Therefore, whatever plan you have for your e-mails will be used by Webmessenger IMs.

Lastly, on the comment on not receiving a response from WebMessenger CS - we have had numerous reports of Yahoo and other email spam filters junking our emails. Not sure if this is the case for soesraider but it may be worth checking your junk folder.

Thanks to all of you for checking out our products and we do pay attention to these forums so please don't hold back.

- WebMessenger
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #27
joeynaylor

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default WebMessenger MIM Trial vs Mobile for Skype Free product

WebMessenger has two primary products/services you can subscribe to through our website: (1) WebMessenger Mobile for Skype and (2) WebMessenger Mobile IM.

(1) WebMessenger Mobile for Skype
There is a free version that allows you to access up to 20 contacts in your Skype buddy list, see their presence, chat with them, and initiate a call to them.

The paid version ($3.95 per month) allows that plus access to any or all of your Skype contacts plus the ability to establish a call for up to 4 participants.

(2) WebMessenger Mobile IM comes with a full-featured, free 15-day trial. This product provides everything found in the paid WebMessenger Mobile for Skype product PLUS you can access all of your contacts from all of your IM network accounts (AOL, GoogleTalk, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo) for presence and chat. After 15 days, the trial is over and you will need to subscribe ($5.95/month or $34.95/year) to continue using it.

So soesraider, since you actually trialed the WebMessenger Mobile IM client, just go to our site and download the free WebMessenger Mobile for Skype client at webmessenger.com/products/mimskype.htm.

On your request for multiple active logins per service (e.g. log into 2 separate MSN accounts concurrently from our single WM client), we have debated inclusion of this capability for some time now. So the best I can say to you here is that it is in our product plan but there is no scheduled release date for it at this point.

And I would be remiss if I didn't ask what you like better about the IM+ GUI

Thanks,
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soesraider
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Skype version of WebMessenger works after the trial period? I sort of got the impression that the fee was for the other version that allowed all the IM accounts, and the Skype version would somehow keep working after the trial period was over, locking out only the IM accounts (MSN, AIM, etc).

I downloaded and installed the Skype version of WM, and now my trial is over and the whole thing has disconnected, incl from Skype. I just want to know if that's intentional, or do I need to fiddle with settings to get the Skype portion working again permanently? I don't need the other IM clients. I can get those through IM+ (and a better GUI, imo).

I just don't want to have to license WebMessenger and IM+ if I'm only using the Skype portion of WM, which the website *seems* to indicate is free, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's only free to licensed holders of the full version.

In fact, since Joe Naylor seems to be on this thread, I'll note that since you do such a good job of the Skype version, I'd be more than happy to make WM my only client if it did multiple activelogins per service (and kept the contact lists separate). That's how important that is to me. I'll find a diff way to handle my Skype contacts (such as only on my desktop), but I need those multiple (concurrent!) users while I'm wireless. I'm willing to put up with the poorer GUI (imo) if I could have all the rest.

Thanks in advance!

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 AM   #28
royfox

Model: 8707

Joe..
Hi Im based in the UK and would love to use thi sproduct on my Vodaphone 8707V on BIS.

I've downloaded the product but have failed to get this product to work.
Yes.. I have skype out account and yes I've installed the plugin for Skype on the PC.... oh, yes.. left the machine running.

Now.. looking around at there forums. I'm led to believe that the 8707V on Vodaphone UK does not have TCP/IP stack capability loaded as standard. Will thi saffect my useage of the product? if so., any way around it that you can think of?

Much appreciated..
Roy
Closed Thread