frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: ask
Carrier: Telus
Default 3 questions!

Please Login to Remove!

hello everyone!

i have 3 questions concerning my new blackberry!

i have a wireless rooter at home, but sometimes it is failing, how can i know if i am surfing using the wifi or the 3G network??

is it normal my backlight keep changing?

do i have to activate an option so when i put the bb in the holster and goes to sleep?

Francois
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: 3 questions!

When you're connected to WiFi you will see a white oval in the upper right corner. If it's grayed out it's not connected. This WiFi indicator will appear when you turn on WiFi and disappear completely when you turn it off.

There is a light sensor on the front of the BlackBerry that will dim or brighten your screen depending on ambient light. Walk from inside out into bright sunlight and the sensor will change the backlight setting. Some models are more sensitive than others so if you walk directly under an overhead light it can change the backlighting. Standing outside, just turning the screen to face the sun will also trigger the sensor.

BlackBerrys have a magnetic sensor so when you put it into any holster with a magnet it will automatically go to sleep. Not all holsters are made with these sleeper magnets so it depends on what holster you bought.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
When you're connected to WiFi you will see a white oval in the upper right corner. If it's grayed out it's not connected. This WiFi indicator will appear when you turn on WiFi and disappear completely when you turn it off.
the reason i am asking is because both my wife an i have an ipod and my router is not working good nowadays... we see that our ipods are connected to the network, the icon is there, in the setting it says it is connected to the network, but when we try to check our emails for exemple we get an error msg saying cannot connect etc..

ok thanks for the info on the ligh sensor!

i have a genuine blackberry holster, it should work??? nothing special i have to do? =((

thanks

Francois

Last edited by frankinthecity; 03-29-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Your BlackBerry holster should have the sleeper magnet and work just like you have it. No need to configure anything.

As for your router, perhaps it's time to update the firmware. I've seen that rescue many an aging router from the scrap heap.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

i found the problem, it was not the orignal holster

so when you are surfing on the net and there is a wifi AND g3 network there is absolutely no way to tell if you are using the network or the wifi? because please remember, on my ipod, i do see that i am connected to my network, i do see the wifi logo but when i try to check my email or go on the internet, it does not work!

thanks!!

Francois
Old 03-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Is the wireless problem on ipods or blackberry?
You keep mentioning your ipods have problem connecting, but not in regards to a blackberry.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

when i am home and i am surfing the net with my blackberry, i do not know if i am using my wifi router OR my 3G carrier network.

i am thinking that i am NOT using my wifi because the WiFi on my ipod doesnt work. i do know i dont have any problem with my ipod because it use to connect all the time, but lately i am having problem with my wifi router

is it more clear? lol
Old 03-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

So due to the ipod not surfing wi-fi, you assume your blackberry isn't surfing wi-fi.

Easy way to find out, uncheck mobile network in manage connections, while wi-fi is active. If you can surf, wi-fi is working, if you can't, it isn't.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
So due to the ipod not surfing wi-fi, you assume your blackberry isn't surfing wi-fi.

Easy way to find out, uncheck mobile network in manage connections, while wi-fi is active. If you can surf, wi-fi is working, if you can't, it isn't.
you sir, are a genius!!! thank you so much

as soon as my router is failing again i will try!!!

Francois
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

You have not indicated the level of your Data plan but if it's limited you may find you get a big bill for usage if not on WiFi. If you have an umlimited Data plan you should be ok unless your carrier considers data usage over a certain point excessive. You would have to read the limits set by them or call.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

(not a sir) but no probs.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
frankinthecity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
You have not indicated the level of your Data plan but if it's limited you may find you get a big bill for usage if not on WiFi. If you have an umlimited Data plan you should be ok unless your carrier considers data usage over a certain point excessive. You would have to read the limits set by them or call.
my blackberry is very new, not even 1 month yet, so no idea of my byte consumption for now, my plan is 500mb per month and i have wifi at home, so if im home i would like to use my WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven
(not a sir) but no probs.
sorry!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
TruckerMike
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

I've seen it before apon crossing but does anyone know where i can find the option when putting bb in the holster it goes to sleep? I need to be able to put it in the holster without it going to sleep.

btw this is for the storm 9500 9530

Last edited by TruckerMike; 04-07-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
highguage
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8530

You have to go to you sound profile and from there you cab adjust each profile. There is the option for what you want it to do in the holdster
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckerMike View Post
I've seen it before apon crossing but does anyone know where i can find the option when putting bb in the holster it goes to sleep? I need to be able to put it in the holster without it going to sleep.

btw this is for the storm 9500 9530
Mike, just so you know, because we all have to learn this, it's not considered good manners to jump in on someone else's thread (post) with a different question than was started.

Now, that being said, I believe the answer to you question is, no, you cannot stop the phone from going to sleep in a holster that has a magnet in it. The magnet was built into the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) case for this purpose.

If you use an after market case, they generally don't have the sleep function and no magnets in them.

What highguage is trying to tell you in the last post is, why would you want the phone to stay awake when all it is doing is powering down some functions to save battery life ? Like he said, if you use the "Profile" settings on your phone (the little speaker icon) usually found in the upper left side of your home screen, you can set any and all your profiles (Loud, Vibrate, Quiet, Normal, Phone Only, or Off) to do anything you want to in, or out of the holster.

1) If you scroll your trackpad/trackball to the "Profile" icon and click on it you will see the current profile you are using highlighted. Usually Normal by default.

2) Scroll to the bottom of that list and click on "Advanced"

3) Push the Blackberry menu key

4) Scroll to and click on "Edit"

You will now see a very long list of things that the phone does or does not respond to when it is in this profile.

If you scroll to and select one these, say Phone for instance, you will then be able to select what you want it to do, (none, tone, vibrate, tone & vibrate) next line select the ring tone you want to use, next line select volume, ect.

You keep going until you have everything alerting the way you want it to in or out of the holster.

Remember, all these profiles are set by default to reflect pretty much what their names say, so you shouldn't have to make too many changes to get it set the way you want it.

Just be sure to find what it is that you want to be alerted to (email, sms text, etc) and set it to what you want in the profile you are using. Also remember if you change profiles, say from Normal to Loud, be sure the alerts in that profile are set to what you want. You will have to do this in each one as you use them.

Edit: Mike, I just had a thought that you might have confused "Bedside Mode" which is a setting within the Clock App that put the phone to sleep at night so your not disturbed by anything you don't want when sleeping. That has nothing to do with the magnetic case, and can be turned on, or off as you please.

If that is the case just Google search "Blackberry Bedside Mode" and you will see many articles and videos on how to use it and set it up on your phone.

Last edited by jaszman; 04-11-2011 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Edit
Closed Thread