BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
CarlAW

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default I cant get OS 6 for my blackberry curve 3g.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I have a blackberry curve 9300 3g, and when i check for updates it says 'There are no available updates' and i wasnt sure why? my brother has the same phone but on a different network and he has been able to install the update. isit because i am on vodafone that i cant get the new OS?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Carl
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: I cant get OS 6 for my blackberry curve 3g.

The BlackBerry and Desktop Manager only show you an update available if one has been released by your carrier. As others have written on the forum, RIM writes all the OS's and the carriers test and release. So, other carriers may release a new version before yours, or you carrier may not ever release it.

I would normally say go to the 9300 forum and look at the sticky "latest OS" threads at the top, and find the one for the 9300. But I'm generally aware of DRM versus NO-DRM OS's, and that vodafone requires/uses DRM versions. In other words, if you see nodrm or no-drm in the file name, you can't use it. But I don't know about the case if the file name has neither nodrm, no-drm, nor drm. Double-check me on this. Search this site and google blackberry vodafone drm.

Generally speaking, you can load an OS for your model BlackBerry from any carrier. But that may or may not be true in your case. As I say, double check me on this. Or maybe someone will come along and explain it better than I can.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
CarlAW

Cheers, although i dont fully understand what you just said, due to my lack of knowledge on the blackberry topic, atleast i have another lead to try and resolve the issue. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Calebrity
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: Virgin mobile

Also check into the beta you then me section as it has a leaked version that is released to some canadian carriers bell and telus for the 9300 it is the 6.0.0.461 OS
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Hope it helps. I'll try and restate what I know and don't know to be more clear:

If indeed vodafone requires a drm OS, you will not be able to install an OS if the file name includes nodrm in the name. I'm 99% sure of that based on what I've read here and elsewhere.

If you see an OS for the 9300 that includes drm in the file name, you can install it. Again, I'm almost sure I'm correct in this.

But what I don't know is if you can install (or not) an OS if the file does not have anything about drm (neither drm, nor nodrm, nor no-drm) in the file name.

Again, the above depends on whether Vodafone requires drm. If I'm wrong and it does not, then you can disregard and install any OS from any carrier for your model without worrying about it.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-06-2011 at 07:42 AM..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Calebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Hope it helps. I'll try and restate what I know and don't know to be more clear:

If indeed vodafone requires a drm OS, you will not be able to install an OS if the file name includes nodrm in the name. I'm 99% sure of that based on what I've read here and elsewhere.

If you see an OS for the 9300 that includes drm in the file name, you can install it. Again, I'm almost sure I'm correct in this.

But what I don't know is if you can install (or not) an OS if the file does not have anything about drm (neither drm, nor nodrm, nor no-drm) in the file name.

Again, the above depends on whether Vodafone requires drm. If I'm wrong and it does not, then you can disregard and install any OS from any carrier for your model without worrying about it.
Thanks Ira, I am not to familiar with what a DRM is I will have to look into that a bit more.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
CarlAW

I am from the United Kingdom, and i have seen articles on the net, about north america etc... and do you know if i am able to download that version, or would i need to wait for a UK version for vodafone?
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

JSanders has posted in regard to this a couple of times when answering questions, and I googled around a little to learn more. Some I absorbed and some I didn't; but just enough to know there is such a thing as an OS with drm and at least one carrier in the world (vodafone, I think) has/does use it.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
CarlAW

Sorry i really dont understand this lol, what does that mean? there is a version i can download or there isnt?

Cheers,

Carl
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Calebrity

Carl, check with your carrier to see if it needs a DRM to install a OS version on your device, if not then you can install it no problem
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

DRM is just what you think. Digital Rights Management. You'll have to figure it out if this applies to your 9300 on Vodafone. I'll search some and see what I can find to help more. And maybe someone else will come along who knows for sure.

EDIT: For education, take at look at http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html.

Also, for education only, http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...rm-9520-a.html and http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...rm-no-drm.html.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-06-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I may have muddied the water for nothing. See http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html.

Quote:
Software For BlackBerry® Curvexxx8482; 3G smartphone (model: 9300)
Can be installed on any carrier's 9300 device by following the instructions below.
So, seems like the drm issue doesn't apply to the 9300. At any rate, worst case is it won't install if there is a drm issue.

Read the thread through, and follow the instructions.

Also, my advice is make preparations to downgrade just in case. I think that new OS is going to take big hunk of your memory.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
CarlAW

Thank you both for your help and i will let you now the outcome either way

Ira, your comments have been very helpful, Thank you so much

Carl.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I hope I helped more than I confused things.

Do post what you find out. I suspect that previous post of mine is the answer to my question. Seems maybe the drm is not universal to the partucilar carrier for all models, but only for some. I guess if you see OS versions for your (generic you) model in both drm and nodrm, then the drm issue applies. If not, then it does not. But I'm still confused and not sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #15
CarlAW

Thanks again, i will be sure to inform you of the outsome, however, when i read the link you had previously sent me, it says this could take upto an hour, and unfortuanately i have work in 30 mins, so i will have to install it when i get home, once again thank you for all your help, and i will inform you of the outcome as soon as possible.

Thanks again,

Carl
Closed Thread