Old 02-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
jabone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Cingular, Mail Connector and Notes

Please Login to Remove!

Ok,

My corp Notes manager won't include on the corp BES. I understand his reasons - he only wants to support the corp issued BB, but I just like the charm too much to convert to one that they support.

So when I add my Notes email address via the Cingular BWC. I am asked if I want to download the "Mail Connector". Which I do and configure correctly.

However, I see some odd settings in the "Mail Connector" fields, For example on the Client tab under Proxy Settings
Username: it has my@email.address.comMYPASSWORD
Password: MYPASSWORD

If I delete MYPASSWORD from the Username field, it also deletes the password from the Password field.

Sometimes the "Mail Connector" application works perfectly. I get all of my Notes email on my BB and I feel connected. Other days, it doesn't redirect the email and I am not connected.

And the real issue is I have all of this running on a seperate computer sitting on my home desk, so when I am travelling and need email the most, I either have to use the charm as a modem to get email on my laptop or wait until I get to an internet connection.

btw, NotesWebMail is also out of the question. My corp. IT department is very good at doing their job, unfortunately, sometimes I like playing outside of their rules. ;)

Any suggestions on how Cingular's "Mail Connector" works? How to resolve some of the problems that I am encountering? Anything?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
jabone

I have read Blackberry's site, IBM's site and everything else I could find. Is noone out there experiencing this problem?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
jabone

Setup:
Notes 6.0.x
Win2K
Cingular

So I finally figured out what is going on. Not necessarily with the usernamePassword on the same line but with the overall functionality.

I originally installed the Mail Connector application on my laptop. I then installed it on a home pc. Well it turns out that Mail Connector is placed into a startup script and whenever I would "exit" the application gracefully, Mail Connector still left a process running on my laptop.

So I had two Mail Connectors competing for email from the same account, this was causing Mail Connector to more or less crash. Bottom line, I was not getting any email forwarded.

I finally discovered the process running on my laptop and killed it, went 5 days without losing connectivity between my BB using the Mail Connector and my Notes account. Today, I cleaned up the laptop by uninstalling Mail Connector.

Hope this helps if anyone runs into the pain I have been through.

John
Old 06-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
jabone

Wanted to give everyone an update on Mail Connector and Notes.

I have a seperate computer at the house that runs the mail connector. I have set up the yahoo account via the blackberry/cingular website and then have gmail auto redirecting email to the BB.

The biggest pain I had with the mail connector software is that I am always wondering if it is working when I am away from the network. This is because the mail connector has, in my opinion been a little flakey.

I ended up building an XP box from scratch, installed Lotus Notes and then downloaded the mail connector. Once I got all of the setting configured properly, I had to teach myself to not ever check on mail connector. Seems that by mousing over the icon to check status or opening it to see if it had the correct settings, etc would cause the mail connector application to break. A reboot usually got things working.

I would check it because for some reason, until mail connect synchronized with the server, it concatonates my Notes username and password in the proxy settings. And that always bothered me and I thought it was a problem. But going into mail connector to modify it would typically cause an error and sht down mail connector.

I talked to some support guys at RIM and learned a couple of things the 5 minute(300 second) polling can be different for each of us. Its not on the hour, it is what it is.

Recently, I moved this machine over to another corner of the house and am using wireless for connectivity. So occassionally the network is not available when the machine reboots itself. If mail connector cannot connect to its server when it starts, then it gives you a message box telling you that there is an error and that something is wrong and doesn't start. So if you are rebooting blindly, like I do, you may not get mail connector running on the 1st attempt. Usually restarting mail connector after the machine is up and running brings mail connector good.

Since this machine was sitting idle for a while I decided to put some additional software on it and use it for more than just mail connector. I put on some antivirus software on and started having problems again. I put on AVG Antivirus by Grisoft and even though I let this program know that I wanted AVG to ignore all mail connector traffic and treat it as safe traffic.

I pulled the AVG software off and things started working again. I replaced it with macafee and haven't had problems.

So far I have added the entire MSFT office 2003 suite, a couple of online games, some anti-spyware applications and I am getting my Notes mail on my phone without fail. I attribute this mainly to treating the mail connector application as a "don't touch" application.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular

I'm lost with this util. In Proxy settings is it your Notes email address and password or your BWC email address and password?

It seems to be installed and it says active but no email is being forwarded...every now and then there's a RED X on it too but then it goes back to active. so odd...

If only I can get this thing to work
Closed Thread