Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
macruadhi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
PIN: 200EA728
Carrier: Suncom
Default Really upset with T-Mobile unlocking policies

Please Login to Remove!

I have read and understand the policies T-Mobile has for unlocking phones. But they seem really backwards to me. They will unlock a several-hundred-dollar blackberry for a customer,(after which they can cancel their account, pay the ETF and switch. Thereby costing T-Mobile a bunch) But here I am with a phone I bought free and clear and they don't want to unlock it.
As I see it, I won't be costing them any money. I can't even use T-Mobile in my area!

I know other's have written it and most here probably dread the mere mention of it, But I believe there should be some sort of class-action suit for those of us who purchased our phones outright, with or without a contract.

Sorry folks, had to vent.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6306/1558; en; U; ssr))

Have you been with them more than 90 days?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
macruadhi

Um no sorry. I forgot to mention that I bought the handset off ebay. And as per T-mobile rules they refused to provide the codes.(Which makes no sense to me.)
Old 01-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Sorry...

They have rules that have bene published (many, many times) about their unlocking policies, which are the most liberal of any US based carrier! You have to be a customer in good standing for at least 90 days, and you can only unlock one phone per 90 days.

You may have to pay one of the commercial unlocker to help you.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
macruadhi

I agree that they are very good, for a customer. But I wonder what their rationale is for not doing so for the handsets that are no longer on their network. It doesn't cost them anything, not compared to a Blackberry,(however much their retail is) that is carried away by a customer after they cancel their account and pay their ETF.

I know it's all well known and well documented, but I have already drafted a letter of complaint concerning the issue. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Good luck with the complaint - it may be easier to pay to have it unlocked.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Coincidentally the local news here in San Francisco had a piece on "unlocked phones." Interviewed people who said how great an unlocked phone is, blah, blah.

Also said that while unlocked phones are very popular in Europe and Japan, very few phones are unlocked in the U.S. Reason: U.S. carriers do not want people having the freedom to use any phone they want because that cuts into people signing contracts to get a phone the person really wants [e.g., the Pearl when it first came out].

This Sunday, the 21st of Jan, they are having a show on U.S. cell phone unfair and unlawful practices. I will be recording it.

Know this does not help you, but at least you know others agree with your rant.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

There are always ways to buy unlocked phones.

I've been buying unlocked phones for years - particularly models that are not available in the US. Buying a locked phone and then complaining about a carrier not unlocking it is silly; if you want to buy an unlocked phone, buy an unlocked phone!

Europeans buy unlocked phones because they cross borders constantly. Many Americans do not. Unlocking a BlackBerry is rarely because you want to use a SIM card from a foreign country in it (need a BlackBerry Dat apla, blah, blah, blah) but because they want to switch carriers. Totally different argument, IMHO.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
macruadhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
There are always ways to buy unlocked phones.

I've been buying unlocked phones for years - particularly models that are not available in the US. Buying a locked phone and then complaining about a carrier not unlocking it is silly; if you want to buy an unlocked phone, buy an unlocked phone!

Europeans buy unlocked phones because they cross borders constantly. Many Americans do not. Unlocking a BlackBerry is rarely because you want to use a SIM card from a foreign country in it (need a BlackBerry Dat apla, blah, blah, blah) but because they want to switch carriers. Totally different argument, IMHO.

The reason for my rant is not so much that they won't unlock my phone, but I really want to know their rationale for not unlocking it. As I said above, in a nutshell, I won't cost them revenues but a new subscriber who has just gotten a multi-hundred dollar Blackberry can have theirs unlocked them cancel their contract.

And the only reason I purchased a locked phone was the price, even with an unlocking fee it will have cost way less than a C-note.

P.S. Where does one find out about these mysterious "Not sold in America"
cell phones?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

As an example of a Not sold in America phone - I bought a Nokia E61 months before Cingular sold the E62. There are resellers on the Internet who sell cool phones unlocked. You most certainly pay for the priviledge.

I read about the phone, searched for it (Google) and bought it. It even came with a UK power charger (and US power adapter)... Worked fine. And it was unlocked.

Wonder where I put that phone...
Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruadhi
The reason for my rant is not so much that they won't unlock my phone, but I really want to know their rationale for not unlocking it. As I said above, in a nutshell, I won't cost them revenues but a new subscriber who has just gotten a multi-hundred dollar Blackberry can have theirs unlocked them cancel their contract.
if they don't unlock it, you may sign up for service from them. They gain nothing by giving you the code. You're probably going to be using it elsewhere. If you were going to use it on Tmobile, you'd sign up and get the code in 90 days.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
And the only reason I purchased a locked phone was the price, even with an unlocking fee it will have cost way less than a C-note.
If that was truly your rationale for buying that particular phone, then why aren't you paying someone to unlock it and getting on with your life, rather than whining to T-Mobile (when you're not even a T-Mobile subscriber), "drafting a letter of complaint" and then coming here to whine and moan more? Doesn't sound very useful to me! You believe there ought to be some kind of class action suit??? Don't be ridiculous! You just stated that you bought the phone cheap, knowing full well that it was locked, AND you've read and understand T-Mobile's policies regarding unlocking! And then you claim that you should be able to take legal action of some kind against T-Mobile? Give me a break!

In the meantime, I'm pretty darn sure that since you're not a customer and don't intend to be a customer, no one at T-Mobile is losing any sleep over the fact that you're "really upset" with them and are "drafting a letter of complaint".

Last edited by DallasFlier; 01-20-2007 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:

Thanks
It's like walking into Burger King and asking them to put Mayo on your Big Mac. Why would they do anything for you and you didn't put anything in the register? As was stated before, there are companies who will take your money and unlock your phone. Otherwise, sell this one on eBay and buy one that's unlocked.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
macruadhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
If that was truly your rationale for buying that particular phone, then why aren't you paying someone to unlock it and getting on with your life, rather than whining to T-Mobile (when you're not even a T-Mobile subscriber), "drafting a letter of complaint" and then coming here to whine and moan more? Doesn't sound very useful to me! You believe there ought to be some kind of class action suit??? Don't be ridiculous! You just stated that you bought the phone cheap, knowing full well that it was locked, AND you've read and understand T-Mobile's policies regarding unlocking! And then you claim that you should be able to take legal action of some kind against T-Mobile? Give me a break!

In the meantime, I'm pretty darn sure that since you're not a customer and don't intend to be a customer, no one at T-Mobile is losing any sleep over the fact that you're "really upset" with them and are "drafting a letter of complaint".

My, you seem even more bitter than I! I came here to "whine and moan" just to vent, and to find out what other's think. And maybe just because I believe that I should own exclusive rights to what ever I purchase, as long as I have not given away that right by signing a contract.

As for my "class action suit" comment, I am not the first or only one saying such things: Cell phone firms sued over 'lock' codes - Games - MSNBC.com
I probably will pay to have it unlocked, but not until after I have tried complaning to T-mobile. (Why pay when a little fussing first might get it done free!)

And lastly, how sad is it that you found it necessary to reply to both of my posts, (written several days apart) in such a confrontational manner

That said, have a good day and Slainte.
Closed Thread