BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
ricecakes619

Model: 8700g
Default Help me! I'm not addicted yet! Wheres the crack in my Berry?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I don't mean to rant so hard,

(I am keeping this device despite my grivences...err ok so I'm keeping the device because it's a present lol)

But I really need help easing into using this device. I converted from a SideKick 3 to the 8700g because I was tired of my side kick breaking all the time and the BB is a more mature device. I'm going through a quarter life crisis so i upgraded =P

Anyways I'm seriously annoyed by how hard it's been to set up things for it to run as well as a sidekick. After several false starts, upgrades, and surfing forums it took me a month (I'm a busy guy!) to finally get Opera and Ramble to work. The programs that came with the BB are severly lacking! It dosen't even show my complete buddy list!

So compared to the side kick:

Side Kick:

Pro:
Ready out of box
Ease of use
Mp3 player
SD Mini for extended memory.
Chat is so NICE on this phone!
Pretty interface.

Con:
Extra programs and ringtones cost $$$
Breaks easily!
I'm tired of ghetto kids having my phone.

BlackBerry:

Pro
Great if your company uses it. (I don't need that though)
Java Programs FREE!
Mp3 ringtones FREE!
Use as modem FREE!
Bluetooth
Themes

Con

the 8700 looks WAY better than older blackberry's but it aint gonna win any beauty pagents soon.

Set up is buggy for 3rd party software. Some have more luck than others.

Don't have experience with device, I'll let you guys know when I break it. I'm kind of a power user when it comes to devices. I get a little extreme.

Browsing through programs slower than Side Kick

Short cuts, keyboard, and other commands not as intuitive as Side Kick. (it took me a week to figure out how to move the cursor around! alt+click wheel!!! wth?! give me a D-Pad!)

I KNOW there's more to this device than meets the eye. Otherwise it wouldn't be called crack berry! I'm biased from having a sidekick every since it came out as black and white, that's almost 5 years!

Please help me figure out more pros! I wanna feel cool with the BB crowd cause i'm too old for the side kick crowd!

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 AM   #2
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

be patient my friend..

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Not sure about the ghetto kid comment but you should feel alot better with a 8700... SK's are for kids.. i brought my 8 year old daughter a sk3 for her birthday in july...

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I hope you aren't the person being referred to in this thread! http://www.blackberryforums.com/off-...is-gadget.html

Personally, I probably would have gone to the Pearl from a Sidekick, in the interest of keeping the mp3 and external storage (plus the camera!), since that seems to be more of an appeal to you...

Good luck, I hope it grows on you!

Rob
Old 12-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Be glad the ghetto kids bought theirs and didn't jack you for yours.....jack*** Stereotyping folks (especially black people) needs to stop. Even if you could buy the most expensive phone......some "ghetto kid" would have one.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
ricecakes619

Model: 8700g

I hope I'm not the person in that thread either!

There used to be a time when I was able to wow people with it's neat swing out screen form factor but I'm so over it.

Through the years I sold a lot of sidekicks telling people about the device.

It's just that now danger is moving on to trying to cultivate the cool crowd instead of sticking to its roots. The first sidekicker's were there because it was an affordable device that had more connectivity than the average phone.

After my sk3 broke from "water damage" when I KNOW it was a faulty battery connection. (stupid tmobile! thanks for dropping the ball on a 6 year customer!) My friend gave my a 8700 he found. (You'd be supirsed what airport workers find. It's the 2nd one this year!)

I was planning to take myself online for a while and take a break from connectivity but I didn't want his gift to go to waste.

Well, the camera sucked so I never used it and the sk3 didn't take normal sized headphones. I bought a PMP for entertainment needs and I'll be buying a camera soon too.

I have a flip phone I make for calls, and I finally have opera and ramble on my BB. I'm just trying to think of other things I can do with it that'd be neat.

Help me fall in love with the BB folks hehe.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

It isn't that hard to get used to, just take a good hour or so to get used to the interface. Installing Ramble and Opera took me like... 1 minute in each application. Think of it as learning a new system instead of trying to integrate the old at the same time.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

There is so much "pro" to Blackberry, I made this chart comparing the Sidekick 3 to Blackberry 8100.

Eventually, by people's request, I expanded the chart to include all the smart phones by T-mobile.

Wait until the Blackberry 8800 comes out and than there's no reason to get a Sidekick 3 anymore.

http://www.geocities.com/sk3vsbb8100/
Old 12-31-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
tr4driver
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
There is so much "pro" to Blackberry, I made this chart comparing the Sidekick 3 to Blackberry 8100.

Eventually, by people's request, I expanded the chart to include all the smart phones by T-mobile.

Wait until the Blackberry 8800 comes out and than there's no reason to get a Sidekick 3 anymore.

http://www.geocities.com/sk3vsbb8100/
Interesting.

I've never felt that the specs quite did the BlackBerry line justice. I've always thought that the *lack* of a touch screen was a plus for the BB. I used a Treo 650 with a touch screen for a while. I hated the fact that it took two hands to do almost anything. The thumbwheel on the BB lets me complete most all non-typing functions one-handed.

Kurtis
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatl
Be glad the ghetto kids bought theirs and didn't jack you for yours.....jack*** Stereotyping folks (especially black people) needs to stop. Even if you could buy the most expensive phone......some "ghetto kid" would have one.
Blake not once did he say black people dont jump to conclusions it just makes you look stupid. Assuming that only blacks live in the ghetto is just as stupid. Jews were the first to use the word ghetto. So get over it and move on.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #11
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

BB is a solid combination of form and function. I have used all types of OS (Palm, Windows Mobile, and RIM). I have had the the best luck with both of my BB. Just keep exploring and find how your new BB makes you more productive. For each person this is different and a journey they must make on their own.