Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
jpulliam1011

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Time Zones & Calender for the Rest of US

Please Login to Remove!

I agree with most non BB users that the time zone and appointment thing is confusing. I know several business people that wont use the callender on their BB because they do not understand how it works. I also believe there is some confusion on the term "time zone" and "current local time". I believe most people having a problem time zone are really asking why the phone does not update to current local time, that is how majority of the other phones out there do it. I have an idea that would make life simplier for those of us that do not understand why we have to change something when we get off the plane inorder to know what time it is and when I'm supposed to meet someone.

If I live in eastern zone and make an appointment for a face to face meeting in pacific zone I am going to put the pacific zone time in my calendar because that is the time it will be when I am there. If my phone updated the time as the zones (network) changed all would work perfectly. No math or reconfiguring required. Appointment at 2pm, off plane and phone says current time 1pm, one hour to my appointment. I donxxx8217;t care what time zone I left from. I believe this is what and how most NON BB people believe it should work. Very simple.

The problem comes in when you need to have a phone appointment with someone in another zone. Then it would be necessary for your appointment calculate the time that you need to make the call in order reach your appointment at their correct time. This could be accomplished by a few simple drop down selection boxes and then would calculate the time you need to make the call from your home zone.

Such As:

Call To Zone: [make selection from list]
Time of Call in To Zone: [make selection from list]
Call From Zone: [make selection from list]

Time to make call from Home Zone: [ filled in by software]

I know the long time users are disbelief that us newbies dont get it. But the bottom line is we should not have to get it, it should get us.

Last edited by jpulliam1011; 03-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add this
Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Okay, YOU got it but RIM and many others do NOT. They see things the way RIM set this up or have learned to adapt.

I think your last example, calling another TZ is the most problematic.

I think the way to not deal with the appts getting reset is to "fool" the BB. Don't use TZ at all, Live in Seattle, set the initial TZ and the clock. Go to NY, just set the clock and don't fool with the TZ. I believe appts will NOT be moved if you only change the clock and don't change the TZ. So, while in Seattle, you set a lunch appt for 1pm for your NY appt. Just set to 1pm. Now arrive at 9am in NY. Set the clock to the 3 hour difference and go to lunch at 1pm (the appt apparently does not change when you change the clock).

I don't travel much so it is only a sometimes issue. I am use to phones that DID change the time as you arrived in another TZ. I've kind of gotten used to the BB but don't set that many "foreign" appts. I think when I do go to Europe this summer, I will set flight times MY WAY which is to set the time but for the day before, set another appt "Flight tomorrow 11:20am local time"
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

FF2, i travel alot, and that is the way I do it.

I'm simple that way. I'm in Toronto. Next week I'm going to Vanouver, and I have a lunch meeting, 1200. I like looking at my calendar this week and seeing a 1200 meeting, not 0900.

Calls are handled the same way. They are set to the time in my local TZ. If it's an invite, it will be set to the recipient using UTC. They will see it in their local time.

Maybe it's me, but I just don't understand the complaining on having to take 30 seconds to change the time on your device. What else do you have to do on the plane. At some point, change your watch and your phone. Done.
Closed Thread