Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
warpdryv
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: left rogers for telus over 9700 warranty dispute
Default 7290 - 4 annoying things

Please Login to Remove!

I apologize if some of these have already been discussed, but i did a quick search and didn't come up with much.

1 - when i sync my berry deletes any calendar appointments left over from the previous day - how do i make it stop doing this?

2 - when creating a new appt in the calendar the default reminder is 15 minutes - how do i change this to none?

3 - when i want to call in to a radio station i can never remember what 416-870-edge or 416-8700-mix translates to, and because i'm on a berry, there's no way to spell it. this is also a hassle when trying to dial by name in a voicemail system. - is there any utility to bring up tones or can i alt- and then use the letter keys to come up with a corresponding tone?

4 - is there any way to get the backlight to come on with every phone call or email without installing os4.0?

other than that i love my berry - the bt headset completes the convenience factor. i do have to remember to lock the keyboard before i throw it in my jacket pocket though. good thing i don't have any quickdials assigned to the keys.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
renamed

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I can answer two of your questions as Im a newbie (Had my blackberry for a week now)

2 - If you go to your calendar on the BB, and go to options, you can change the default one to None and now on for everytime you set an appt., by default there will be no reminder.

4 - By default, mine lights up when the phone rings. so i dont know wuz up with that.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Here's something that my users sent me regarding question #3:

"...you can dial using letters by pressing the Alt key and then a letter. I found this under the Top 10 Phone Tips that was loaded in the Blackberry's mail box."

Rob
Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
Default Calendar..

This is in response to #1 about your calendar items disappearing from the previous day when you sync. In Desktop Manager - Go under Intellisync - Configure PIM - Calendar - Configure - Advanced settings...make sure Transfer all items is checked. This is the way I have it set up. It synchs all past, current, future calendar items.

Hope this helped!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

4 -- You will need to install OS4 and then a third party utility to do that. Some software such as PocketDay can turn on backlight upon holster removal and incoming email/phone call.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
warpdryv

Model: 9800
Carrier: left rogers for telus over 9700 warranty dispute

thanks guys
Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
sharpycl

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

wow, I didn't realize what you said in your #3 question until I just tested. I just tried using the ALT-press any letter idea, but it didn't work. Not a life or death thing, but i'm gonna figure this out so i'll know what to do when I come across this in the future.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You have to hold down the ALT key when pressing the letter. It should work. Been that way for years.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
sharpycl

Model: Lu920
PIN: is where your heart is
Carrier: AT&T

Oh, I C. Now I feel stupid. Thanx NJBlackberry.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 PM   #10
MJones

Model: 7280

While the holding down the ALT key and then spelling works to dial by name, it isn't very helpful when your hands are full.

Check out alphaberry.com.

The AlphaGuide solves all your problems!
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 AM   #11
Concept

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdryv
1 - when i sync my berry deletes any calendar appointments left over from the previous day - how do i make it stop doing this?

2 - when creating a new appt in the calendar the default reminder is 15 minutes - how do i change this to none?

3 - when i want to call in to a radio station i can never remember what 416-870-edge or 416-8700-mix translates to, and because i'm on a berry, there's no way to spell it. this is also a hassle when trying to dial by name in a voicemail system. - is there any utility to bring up tones or can i alt- and then use the letter keys to come up with a corresponding tone?

4 - is there any way to get the backlight to come on with every phone call or email without installing os4.0?

other than that i love my berry - the bt headset completes the convenience factor. i do have to remember to lock the keyboard before i throw it in my jacket pocket though. good thing i don't have any quickdials assigned to the keys.
1. Don't really have a clue why you BB is doing this, mine never has.
2. Open you calender and go to the options. There is an option to change the default reminder to anything from none to 1 week.
3. Just save the nuber as 1-888-ABC-DEFG. It will dial the right numbers when you make the call.
4. Search for an app. called BBLight. It will turn on the backlight whenever you touch a button or get a call.

To lock it, just change you security settings to lock after "x" number of minutes or when you hoslter it. Or just get used to hitting alt+enter to quickly lock your BB>
Old 01-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #12
butterfly2006

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
You have to hold down the ALT key when pressing the letter. It should work. Been that way for years.
how does dialing by letters work for the bb 7105t??? I tried all that was said dont work for me!! tried dialing 1800-flowers instead I got a chat line!! LOL....what am i doing wrong?? I have only 20 keys on this bb!!

pin# 20362E79
Old 01-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #13
butterfly2006

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Hey Njblackberry pin me would you u seem to have a whole lot of knowledge on bb...share the wealth...need infor on how to dial using letters bb 7105t..I tried but Im lost....thanks add me to your buddy list if you wish...bb messanger..thanks again...

pin# 20362E79
Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Come on guys - this is REALLY EASY. REALLY REALLY EASY.

Read the FAQs. This thread is 10 months old and it was awakened.

Use the online help on the 7100. Under phone or dialing it clearly explains how to dial alpha numbers.
Closed Thread