tcolar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default Was able to tether my BB on OS X (USB) with bbtether

Please Login to Remove!

Hello there,
i'm the author of bbtether (opensource/free)
Blackberry tethering on OS X (USB) [Thibaut Colar's Home]

it's a small python program that allows to use a Blackberry as a modem (USB. not bluetooth = faster).
It has worked on linux for a little while, but today for the first time i got it to work on my Mac (tiger ppc but any should do).

Anyway if anybody is interested in trying it out and giving me feedback that would be great.

A few gotcha's:
- it does not work yet with password protected BB's.
- right now it requires compiling libusb from source (using xcode tools), it's not hard and is documented on bbtether page, but you need to be comfortable with the command line.

Later i might be able to provide installers for all this rather than having to manually compile for for now that is what it is.

As far as i know there are no other working & free USB tethering solution for OSX, so i'd like to get some feedback and then i'll try to make it into an easy to use package.

tcolar AT colar D.o.t net
Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
ronin2046

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I'd love to try this... Unfortunately, my command line skills are a little lacking...

Here's hoping for a compiled packaged version...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
tcolar

i'll try to make universal binary packages fro that stuff this weekend, if i can figure it out.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
mrn

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcolar View Post
Hello there,
i'm the author of bbtether (opensource/free)
Blackberry tethering on OS X (USB) [Thibaut Colar's Home][/url]

it's a small python program that allows to use a Blackberry as a modem (USB. not bluetooth = faster).
It has worked on linux for a little while, but today for the first time i got it to work on my Mac (tiger ppc but any should do).

Anyway if anybody is interested in trying it out and giving me feedback that would be great.

A few gotcha's:
- it does not work yet with password protected BB's.
- right now it requires compiling libusb from source (using xcode tools), it's not hard and is documented on bbtether page, but you need to be comfortable with the command line.

Later i might be able to provide installers for all this rather than having to manually compile for for now that is what it is.

As far as i know there are no other working & free USB tethering solution for OSX, so i'd like to get some feedback and then i'll try to make it into an easy to use package.

tcolar AT colar D.o.t net
Thanks
hi:

I have used your software earlier in LINUX. I am now using a MAC. I am using the verizon connection mamner software for my tethering on MAC.

I would love to use your software but the problem is the password protection which is done by our company policy.

mrn
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn View Post
hi:

I have used your software earlier in LINUX. I am now using a MAC. I am using the verizon connection mamner software for my tethering on MAC.

I would love to use your software but the problem is the password protection which is done by our company policy.

mrn
my fault. I had not used the new python based code yet on linux. will do so soon.

I see that the password option has been fixed.
mrn
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I wondered whether you were able to work out a way around the compiling, as mentioned might be done. My father upgraded to a MacBook Air and has a Verizon 8830 (I think) and needs to get access to tethering. While I have screen sharing set-up remotely, it's a challenge to do from here.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
I wondered whether you were able to work out a way around the compiling, as mentioned might be done. My father upgraded to a MacBook Air and has a Verizon 8830 (I think) and needs to get access to tethering. While I have screen sharing set-up remotely, it's a challenge to do from here.
If he is not very familiar with command line in mac he can try one of two thinks:
1. You can use Colar's solution by following the instruction on his web site.
Blackberry tethering on OS X (USB)
( i still have problems due to my password issue)
2. You can load blackberry pocketmac which is free.
then load the Verizon Access manger from theri web site. ( to download the verizon access manager you have to tell you have a aircard 720 or so.)

Between the two I have the verizon access manger working but still working with colar to get the device working. I have a sprint 8830 with BES.

have fun
mrn
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn View Post
If he is not very familiar with command line in mac he can try one of two thinks:
1. You can use Colar's solution by following the instruction on his web site.
Blackberry tethering on OS X (USB)
( i still have problems due to my password issue)
2. You can load blackberry pocketmac which is free.
then load the Verizon Access manger from theri web site. ( to download the verizon access manager you have to tell you have a aircard 720 or so.)

Between the two I have the verizon access manger working but still working with colar to get the device working. I have a sprint 8830 with BES.

have fun
mrn
I forgot to mention:
you can find links here on this forum for the verizon access manager
Old 04-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
tcolar

Several people have been using this on OSX successfully.
and Now there is no manual compilation required anymore.
And there is a GUI as well.

http://www.berry4all.com/
Closed Thread