Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
jimmueller

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default CIO now receiving junk mail on her 9700 after changing laptops

Please Login to Remove!

We can't seem to figure out if this is coincidence or related. Our CIO was not reporting any complaints about junk mail before her laptop was replaced. Immediately thereafter, she starts complaining about it. We still have the old laptop available to test with.

Another team member is the liasion on this task and I'm waiting for him to provide me the definitive list of steps he's tried. As soon as that is made available to me I will post it.

I do know that he reviewed Folder Redirection settings on the phone, disabled Junk Mail folder, and re-tested. Junk Mail still arrives in both Outlook & phone.

He also commented that they sent several test messages from three employee internet addresses, and only some of each reached her Blackberry.

Thanks for your time,

Jim
Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Are you using BIS or BES?

Is the CIO using the carrier supplied email address? That is totally unfiltered.

And email does not flow from Outlook to the BB and back. It flows from your email server to both the BB and to Outlook. Spam needs to be found and eliminated at the server level before mail is pushed to the BB and to Outlook.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
jimmueller

We're using BES, and the CIO is using her normal company e-maila ddress. Here are the notes:

---
At first, I thought that seemed like it should do that: as in, if mail hit the exchange server, it’ll be seen by the BES/Blackberry as well as the client’s Outlook.
So any rules in Outlook shouldn’t alter what happened on the Blackberry.

But I looked at my Outlook and several other users, and it seems that “Junk-Email” is being sorted beforehand, and I truly don’t receive those junk emails on my Blackberry.

After researching a bit, I found several articles that pull in both directions:
“junk mail will appear on the BB – take care of the message before it hits exchange” and the latter being
“re-check Outlook, BES-user-account settings, and Blackberry settings” – implying that Outlook’s Junk Email can be set to not show or be directed to the Blackberry.

Well it’s apparently in practice, seeing as I know for sure that my Outlook’s Junk Email does not appear in my Blackberry.

Since this was a new laptop out of the box, Outlook was set up simply by placing the exchange information and account.
Nothing was customized in Outlook – yet all the settings were pulled down from exchange; they were set from the old laptop.
There were only two rules-and-alerts and a list of blocked senders and filters for the user’s Junk Email that were pre-set simply after pulling up the Account.

I’ve tried having Outlook in and out of cache mode – I am personally set to “use cached exchange mode” and I have the ‘correct’ behavior.
Both the user and myself have “Junk E-mail” option de-selected on our BB (Messages Options -> Email Settings -> Folder Redirection).
I do not have any type of Blackberry software running on my machine, and neither did the new user. We’re set to wireless sync.
But I decided to get the software and check the redirection settings on the user’s computer.
I downloaded the Desktop Manager v6.0 software, but it wasn’t apparent where the “folder redirection” options were.
After a few minutes of looking around v6.0, I uninstalled that version and installed v4.3 which I’m more familiar with.
Email Settings -> Advanced -> Folder redirection was set to Selected folders. I went into ‘choose folders’ and Junk E-mail was selected here on the Desktop Manager software.
I deselected this option, pushed OK, and also changed the Folder redirection settings to “inbox and Sent items only”.

I blocked three misc external email addresses to do some testing.
Sent several test messages from each account.

Four of the tests completed exactly how we wanted them, never touching the Blackberry, and the Outlook had them in its Junk Email folder.
Further testing with the accounts had three messages fail with the wrong behavior: Outlook had the mail in the Junk Email folder, but messages showed up on the Blackberry.
And finally a few results came up ‘wrong’ but eventually reconciled and disappeared from the Blackberry… Which we don’t want that behavior either.
---

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
jimmueller

Any more feedback?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to the BES Admin section.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
jimmueller

bump
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Spam needs to be found and eliminated at the server level before mail is pushed to the BB and to Outlook.

We use a Barracuda spam filter 300, it is placed before the Exchange server and blocks most of the spam before exchange.

WAN port 25 > Cuda port 25 > Exchange
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post

We use a Barracuda spam filter 300, it is placed before the Exchange server and blocks most of the spam before exchange.

WAN port 25 > Cuda port 25 > Exchange
Key word.

Anything not flagged by the Baracuda device will make it's way to the BB. It is possible for Outlook to move SPAM out of the Inbox before BES gets a hold of it.

Question: On the new laptop, is offline mail on? Was it on on the old laptop?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
jimmueller

If you mean Cached Exchanged Mode, then yes, it's on for the new laptop, and yes it was on for the old laptop.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

I dont have much experience with the outlook junk filter since I use a different software to get rid of junk, but, I remember that, if you do not enable cached mode, you cant customize the filter.
That sounds like not the server, but outlook does some of the filtering on the client. This only works if outlook is running.

From what you tell, it looks like just this is happening: The filtering of junk is handeld by outlook, and not by a server based rule. Any rules which are client only will be executed after the BES gets the Email. Eventually the automatic reconcile might then apply the changes which outlook did back to the blackberry. However, this does not work reliable.

To check this, stop using outlook for some time, and use outlook web-access instead to test the rules.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
jimmueller

We are currently in cached mode for the customized Junk Email filter; and we have two xxx8220;rules and alertsxxx8221;, which are not related to Junk Email.

It doesnxxx8217;t sound like the server, yet the movement of items from Inbox to Junk E-mail happens regardless if Outlook is opened or closed (even if only within webmail).
For example my Outlook is closed overnight, and sometimes my laptop is off, but my BlackBerry never receives the Junk E-mail which Outlook displays in said folder the next morning.

I will definitely re-verify and test to see if our clientxxx8217;s mail has correct behavior simply within webmail only.

As of right now, I have personally closed Outlook, opened webmail and sent a test email (which Ixxx8217;ve marked as Junk) xxx8211; Webmail shows the item in the Junk E-mail folder instantly as it arrives.

And of course, my BB never received the message xxx8211; which is the behavior being requested.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

maybe you need to delay the scanning

KB00139-How to delay email processing to allow email messages to be scanned by antivirus or anti-spam software before being delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone
It doesn't even matter

Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
jimmueller

We found that link, but we don't understand why we would need to alter the delay setting from defaults now, when it behaved correctly before without changing the delay.

We are currently in cached mode for the customized Junk Email filter; and we have two xxx8220;rules and alertsxxx8221;, which are not related to Junk Email. It doesnxxx8217;t sound like the server, yet the movement of items from Inbox to Junk E-mail happens regardless if Outlook is opened or closed (even if only within webmail). For example my Outlook is closed overnight, and sometimes my laptop is off, but my BlackBerry never receives the Junk E-mail which Outlook displays in said folder the next morning.

I will definitely re-verify and test to see if our clientxxx8217;s mail has correct behavior simply within webmail only.

As of right now, I have personally closed Outlook, opened webmail and sent a test email (which Ixxx8217;ve marked as Junk) xxx8211; Webmail shows the item in the Junk E-mail folder instantly as it arrives. And of course, my BB never received the message xxx8211; which is the behavior being requested.

Edit:
Two test emails were sent to the CIO while she was in Webmail.
The first showed in Junk Email instantly, and did not show up in her Blackberry, which was correct behavior.
She mentioned something about pop up blocker, but that shouldnxxx8217;t have affected anything xxx8211;

So we sent a second test from the same account we had marked as Junk.
This time, it showed in the blackberry and is no where to be found in Junk Email or Inbox.

Outlook has been closed this entire time.

Last edited by jimmueller; 11-03-2010 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: New info
Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

try delaying the scanning, you might be on the edge in timing.
It doesn't even matter

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
jimmueller

The complaint is that junk messages are arriving on the phone, and the article indicates that by delaying the email processing, that 'missing' messages may start arriving on the phone. The junk messages are not 'missing'.

We can setup the delay, but judging from the article it shouldn't effect the spam. We have separate servers which handle the anti-spam responsibilities before the message reaches Exchange. Why do you feel that implementing a delay will reduce spam on the phone?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #16
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmueller View Post

So we sent a second test from the same account we had marked as Junk.
This time, it showed in the blackberry and is no where to be found in Junk Email or Inbox.

Outlook has been closed this entire time.
This is rather strange. What happend with the mail ? If it arrived in the mailbox it should appear somewhere in outlook/owa (with the exeption you have setup a rule to delete the message).

Delaying the BES still could help, because, if (assumed you have a rule which deletes specific mails) the BES will never see the email, because it has been deleted already.
Closed Thread