Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
tebuddy

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Default Slow startup

Please Login to Remove!

My blackberry 8300 starts up incredibly slow, usually 30-60 seconds minimum. Something is obviosuly wrong, but I dont know what.

Only 2 non default applications installed

All pictures, video, ringtones, music are located on the 512mb sd card I currently have installed.

Once it has started up and gives me menu access everything runs smooth, the only problem seems to be the startup.

What can I do to find out whats wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 12:27 AM..
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

There is nothing wrong. It is perfectly normal for the Curve to take that long to boot up. That is why I rarely turn mine off.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
tebuddy

Really?

That sounds....odd. I can boot my computer with vista faster than my phone boots up.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Then don't reboot your phone unless you really need to.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
tebuddy

I install alot of different applications and themes which require a reboot to install/uninstall, not to mention the phone automatically does a powercycle whenever you add/remove media via media manager.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

when you install apps it reboots, unless its ota, shouldnt do it on media manager. the OS is very secure and stable so its worth the boot up.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Quote:
I install alot of different applications and themes

Lol...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
tebuddy

Maybe I should have just said it outright when you first replied so you didn't need to cry.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong. It is perfectly normal for the Curve to take that long to boot up. That is why I rarely turn mine off.
I think thats bs.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I install alot of different applications and themes

Lol...
And to make things clear, when I actually noticed the slowness to be a problem, I uninstalled everything except what I needed because I hoped it would solve something.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 02:07 AM..
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Wow, whatever dude. Believe what you want. Its the truth. And I was making a joke about the applications, learn how to take one. Jesus.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F1E255

Mine takes easily that long to startup, it isn't a big deal.

And you need to remember something, this is a phone, with a small processor and small amounts of memory. It is not a powerful desktop with excess amounts of processing power and memory to spare, which is why a computer can boot faster.

It is designed to only have what it needs to run well. So it takes a little while to startup. Who cares?

If you don't like waiting for it, go get a different phone, one in which you can spend less time booting up but have a probably significantly worse experience during all the time that it actually is on.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I think thats bs.
I guess you're entitled to your opinion but every model (I've gone through 6 different ones myself) is slow starting up. There are a lot of checks that need to take place. If you want to confirm for yourself wipe the device and time the startup. That's as fast as your BB is able to start up.

Quote:
I install alot of different applications and themes which require a reboot to install/uninstall, not to mention the phone automatically does a powercycle whenever you add/remove media via media manager.
The latter shouldn't happen. Try using Mass Storage Mode.

Last edited by takeshi; 02-08-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Actually, 30 seconds is very short for a blackberry startup. Try reloading the OS, can take at least 15 minutes depending on what you do
Old 02-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
tebuddy

Quote:
Wow, whatever dude. Believe what you want. Its the truth. And I was making a joke about the applications, learn how to take one. Jesus.
Well since this is a joke forum and all.....oh wait. Just because I dont accept your advice immediately doesn't make me right, or you wrong. If your not comfortable with the fact that what you say is going to be taken in question then don't say anything.

Quote:
I guess you're entitled to your opinion but every model (I've gone through 6 different ones myself) is slow starting up. There are a lot of checks that need to take place. If you want to confirm for yourself wipe the device and time the startup. That's as fast as your BB is able to start up.
That makes more sense, I can see the complexity of the blackberry os in how many capabilities it has, but do you know any of the specifics of the boot process?

Quote:
It is designed to only have what it needs to run well. So it takes a little while to startup. Who cares?
I find it particularly annoying to be able to load crysis before my blackberry boots up is all. Maybe your comfortable with the fact that your phone takes excess of a minute to give you the ability to make and receive calls, but I'm not.

Thanks for all your advice, please forgive my rudeness.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

if you were going to ask to have your rudeness forgiven, why not just... not be rude? and its a fact of blackberry life that the device takes longer than others to boot. just as it is a fact that the blackberry is much more secure than other devices. you get used to it/accept it in time.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Really?

That sounds....odd. I can boot my computer with vista faster than my phone boots up.
try booting vista with a 400mhz processor and tell me how long it takes to start. everyone compares the blackberry to the PC, but it is not a PC.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-08-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
tebuddy

Quote:
if you were going to ask to have your rudeness forgiven, why not just... not be rude?
Sorry, who started being rude in the first place? Was it me making a stupid joke because I cant handle being rejected?

Quote:
nd its a fact of blackberry life that the device takes longer than others to boot. just as it is a fact that the blackberry is much more secure than other devices. you get used to it/accept it in time.
Ive made peace with that, in my last post all I wanted was more specific information about the boot process.

Quote:
try booting vista with a 400mhz processor and tell me how long it takes to start. everyone compares the blackberry to the PC, but it is not a PC.
How can you say it has the basic architecture of a computer but fail to recognize it as one.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Sorry, who started being rude in the first place? Was it me making a stupid joke because I cant handle being rejected?
The stupid joke I made had nothing do to with what you said. Besides, I made the joke before you "rejected" my answer.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
didnt say you started it, but you realized you were in your own post, would have been easy to edit it out then.

Quote:
Ive made peace with that, in my last post all I wanted was more specific information about the boot process.
i do not know the specifics of the boot process, there may be others here that can answer that for you.

Quote:
How can you say it has the basic architecture of a computer but fail to recognize it as one.
The device is a "computer" in fact that it computes, but i specifically mentioned it was not a PC.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

mine takes like 3 minutes.... is there anyway to speed this up?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude33333 View Post
mine takes like 3 minutes.... is there anyway to speed this up?
Is this after doing a battery pull?
Closed Thread