Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
tarastar42

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Angry After complete Wipe, still getting AOL Mail

Please Login to Remove!

I am a sys admin at a small company that provides Curves to employees, and we allow employees to use the Curve to check personal mail as well. One employee set her Curve to check her AOL Mail, and later left the company and returned the Curve. I have used the whole Wipe process (Settings -> Security Options -> General Options -> Wipe -> type 'blackberry') about a dozen times now, but as soon as I put the phone on the network, the ex-employees new AOL mail starts showing up. This is with no Mail services even set up - if I try to send, it says 'No message services configured', but the AOL Mail is still coming in. I'm using a different SIM Card. I even tried leaving the battery out overnight. Nothing works, and I feel terrible about violating the privacy of an ex-employee, who I think would be pretty pissed if she knew I could read her personal email. But what more can I do?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarastar42 View Post
I am a sys admin at a small company that provides Curves to employees, and we allow employees to use the Curve to check personal mail as well. One employee set her Curve to check her AOL Mail, and later left the company and returned the Curve. I have used the whole Wipe process (Settings -> Security Options -> General Options -> Wipe -> type 'blackberry') about a dozen times now, but as soon as I put the phone on the network, the ex-employees new AOL mail starts showing up. This is with no Mail services even set up - if I try to send, it says 'No message services configured', but the AOL Mail is still coming in. I'm using a different SIM Card. I even tried leaving the battery out overnight. Nothing works, and I feel terrible about violating the privacy of an ex-employee, who I think would be pretty pissed if she knew I could read her personal email. But what more can I do?
Have you tried speaking to the carrier about removing the email account of the BIS on their side?
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

The email is being pushed to the device from the BIS site. This is PIN based, which is why changing SIMs has no affect. The BIS email needs to be disassociated with the device (PIN.) If the employee cannot be contacted to remove this, the carrier may be of some help.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
tarastar42

Model: 8300
Default Thanks - will try

Thanks, this really helps. I have Hosted Exchange with BES through Intermedia; they give me a little web-based control panel for activations and deactivations, but I don't have real access on the BES. I will contact the former employee, and if that doesn't work I will try to work with AT&T (wish me luck on that one!)
Old 11-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
infernalaanger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarastar42 View Post
Thanks, this really helps. I have Hosted Exchange with BES through Intermedia; they give me a little web-based control panel for activations and deactivations, but I don't have real access on the BES. I will contact the former employee, and if that doesn't work I will try to work with AT&T (wish me luck on that one!)
I'm also a sysadmin on a large enterprise network. While we allow users to setup their personal email accounts on their devices, we setup the BIS accounts for them and provide them with their userid and password so they may setup their email services through the carrier's BIS website. This method keeps the situation you are experiencing from happening, so when an employee leaves we lookup the user's userid and password, login, and remove all associated email accounts before assigning the device to a new user.

Just my $.02

AT&T should be able to remove the account without any issues as long as you can provide all the necessary credentials to prove you or your corporation are the owners of the account and device.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalaanger View Post
I'm also a sysadmin on a large enterprise network. While we allow users to setup their personal email accounts on their devices, we setup the BIS accounts for them and provide them with their userid and password so they may setup their email services through the carrier's BIS website. This method keeps the situation you are experiencing from happening, so when an employee leaves we lookup the user's userid and password, login, and remove all associated email accounts before assigning the device to a new user.

Just my $.02

AT&T should be able to remove the account without any issues as long as you can provide all the necessary credentials to prove you or your corporation are the owners of the account and device.

Good luck!
And you haven't run across an end-user changing that password? I certainly would. Do you require them to agree not to?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

As a contingency you can use the "forgot password" link on the BIS site (sends password to the BB based on PIN). If the lines are on the company account the company can get the carrier to kill the BIS account as well.

Last edited by takeshi; 11-20-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
ghostshell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Alltell

also, even when wiping if you have a personal or BIS/BES e-mail setup it will carry over. I have wiped my phone and reinstalled the OS and still have my e-mail acct setup everytime, i usually delete it and recreate so i can have one icon for it and one for SMS.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
CCK01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: ATT

I have the same problem with one of the staff. How do I remove the assoication at the Blackberry device?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCK01 View Post
I have the same problem with one of the staff. How do I remove the assoication at the Blackberry device?
Your carrier may be able to do it, but you can also do it yourself. To do so, you'll need to login to the BIS site using the credentials associated with that device. Once you've logged in you should be at the Email Accounts page. From there you can edit or delete the email addresses for which email is being pushed to the device.

If you don't have the account name/password, go to the BIS site and click on the Forgot Password link. On the next screen you'll be able to enter the PIN of the device. The username/password will be sent directly to the device.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

You can delete email accounts from BIS but you can't delete the BIS account itself. The carrier has to delete the BIS account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostshell View Post
also, even when wiping if you have a personal or BIS/BES e-mail setup it will carry over.
Yup -- that was stated in the original post. Wiping the device does not affect your BIS account. Once your BB is registered on your carrier's network the BIS service books will be pushed and an email from all accounts associated with BIS will start flowing in again. If that is not desired you need to remove the email accounts from BIS and/or delete the BIS account entirely.

Last edited by takeshi; 01-12-2009 at 05:22 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
tdb3283

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

You have to go into the service books and delete the service book for the email. There may be multiple entries. Just click the menu button on the book "xxxxxx@aol.com" and select delete. It should remove the email and icon if there is one.
Closed Thread