Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Jehunt

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Trouble linking an e-mail from college

Please Login to Remove!

I am trying to add an e-mail from the University of Illinois (myname@illinoisalumni.org) and I can't figure it out. I can link my gmail and other e-mail, but not this one. Thanks

Jon
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Do they have outlook web access? If so, use the same exact link when you go through BIS

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

The normal BIS setup only asks for your email address and password. Given this limited information, the BIS server (not sure if that's the right terminology) MUST make some assumptions/guesses about the server name(s), protocols and ports used to access your mailbox. My first thought in your case is that none of its standard guesses are correct, and you'll have to do a manual setup.

To start with, take a look at how you're accessing this same email account from your desktop. Are you using a web browser to access the email, or are you using an email client such as Outlook?

If you're using a web browser (but NOT Outlook Web Access) it's possible that you're only option is to setup the mailbox to forward email to another address that you're already using with your BlackBerry. It's also possible that you CAN access it with an email client, but you're just not doing it that way, so please continue reading.

If you're using an email client, what protocol is being used? What are the server name(s)? What port numbers are being used on the servers? Is SSL required? You can gather this information by examining your desktop configuration, or possibly from the Alumni Association web site.

Once you've gathered the above information, start your BIS setup, but leave the password field blank. This will cause the setup to fail, but will also give you the opportunity to provide more information, such as the protocol and server name(s) you're using on your desktop.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
skllndy365
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: 3229E14A

a friend of mine couldn't set hers up because of the universities setup...she went to University of Pittsburgh

FREE CASH at:
http://www.cashlagoon.com/?ref=19916
Closed Thread