BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #41
Debau
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

SanFrancisco, Yes...that may be the problem. But we all know that people want the latest and greatest, regardless of who it is marketed to!!

My sales reps want to be the first to have the new toy when they go to the sales meetings. I am lucky, in that, my company does not allow a lot of that to go on.

I have had 2 reps have "broken" bb's that had to be replaced. They don't get the latest and greatest if it appears that it was user error, they get what is in the drawer at the time, which right now are 7100g refurbs...
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #42
TellarHK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I feel like I must be the oddball one here. The Pearl's one of the best feeling phones I've ever had, only my Motorola E815 came close. And the camera lens on that just spontaneously broke one day, otherwise it's a tank.

Mine has no "cheap" feel to it, save the battery cover. That's the only thing that bugs me about it.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #43
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau
They don't get the latest and greatest if it appears that it was user error, they get what is in the drawer at the time, which right now are 7100g refurbs...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #44
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
this is toucy feelly thread. It is completely opinon based about rim and the 8100. Such threads usually get moved to the rants and raves section.

Could you imagine 20-30 such threads littering the general 8100 forum?

Just because some people choose only to view the 8100 general thread, doesn't mean that the very mention of the 8100 warrants it to be in the general section.

You usually find threads in the general that warn users to do or not to do something. Threads about new features, program or os related and mostly techincal questions.

Hence your opinion "from someone who sells them" should belong in the rant and raves section where all other opinon based threads belong.

- hard to believe this statement.... the key to retail is knowing your customer. If you work in a rogers store it is only a short amount of time that you learn to read or ask key questions to your customers... If you ask them, "hey btw with this device there are updates on the internet, would you still be interested in this device?" from their answer you should be able to tell how savy they are and point them to the right device they need.

-" I just want all my customers to experiance the same quality and great device as I have (after the new OS)." my answer to that is "yeah right". Just wait and see how many people want to rip your head off because you sold them a device that "you liked". this once again goes back to knowing your customer.

This statement leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.... if you go to any cell phone retailer here in the US, they try and be nice and helpful but they get more shit from people than the dmv.

Everyone who walks into a cell phones store is looking for a better deal... either on their contract, or free accessories or dropping their phones in a toliet and expecting them to replace for free. These people are stressed, over worked, and have to deal with large lines with signup sheets. Then people come and don't even know what plan they want to activate.... etc etc etc....

your telling me after all that you still give a shit about your customer's? they are sheep... bahhh bahhhh bahhhh

How long have you been a salesman?

Have you seen the movie Glengary Glenross?

Im not saying becuase I like it everyone should have it. What i am trying to get across is that if they want the Pearl i would like them to have one that functions the same way as mine does. And the Rogers OS had quiet a few issues that havent been resolved.

I fit the product to the customers needs. But if they need a Pearl i dont want to give them a DOA or a dud which they come back having issues with later down the road. I rather upload a new OS for the customer and have them get the best experiance from the device.

You assume that Im a greedy sales person just putting people into expensive products, which i am not.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #45
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry_jack
I have a Pearl from Rogers. Under Options/About, I see:

4.2.0.51, platform 2.2.0.32

Is this the latest?
See other posts on thsi forum. But there has been at least 2-3 newer firmware versions out there. i am running .69
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #46
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

That $.02 comment wasn't worth the price. I want a refund!! The Pearl is a great phone. The OS updates are all that was needed to make these phones perform the way they should. Rock solid device!!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #47
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
See other posts on thsi forum. But there has been at least 2-3 newer firmware versions out there. i am running .69
I saw a post about 4.2.0.71 here:

Look here

But that seems to be from Cingular, and I'm too new (and haven't researched enough) to know whether it's ok to put it on my Rogers phone.

I can appreciate that this info may have already been posted before, but if you could take the time to kindly post where I can get newer Rogers OS versions (and maybe what it improves on if it's not too much), I'd really jump up and down for you!

I checked with Rogers tech support and the latest they have on their site that they support is what I have: 4.2.0.51. Of course they warned me against downloading the Cingular .71 OS...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #48
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro

Look here

But that seems to be from Cingular, and I'm too new (and haven't researched enough) to know whether it's ok to put it on my Rogers phone.

I can appreciate that this info may have already been posted before, but if you could take the time to kindly post where I can get newer Rogers OS versions (and maybe what it improves on if it's not too much), I'd really jump up and down for you!

I checked with Rogers tech support and the latest they have on their site that they support is what I have: 4.2.0.51. Of course they warned me against downloading the Cingular .71 OS...

The Pearl is a great phone and you will love it as I have. The whole point of the post is that Rogers wont back up or offer the cingular's OS system. Download it its good. You wont find any any better versions of the Rogers OS out there, now if your with Rogers it doesnt mean you need to have an Rogers OS system.

With that being said, I have no prob you coming by my location and me downloading the newer OS if your in the Vancouver area. Pin me though :
204FE962. I can try to help you out.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #49
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro

Look here

thsi is for the OS systems
http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...-4-2-only.html
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #50
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

I could not have said this better myself. You put into words most people's frustration with the cell phone market. It's such a highly competitive industry that many shortcuts have been made at the expense of quality.

However, I do have a certain amount of sympathy for the manufacturers. My first cell phone had no bugs, but it also didn't even have a phone book. Nowadays, our phones will practically drive our cars for us and we complain when it misses a turn.

That being said, the industry really does need to step up their quality. Why market a phone with the features included if they don't work as advertised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
While I think that you are right, I also think that RIM did a better job than most companies. I think the entire industry needs to get their products to a higher level before releasing them, instead of releasing junk just to meet a deadline, or get out before xmas.

However, my Tmo pearl had no problems at all when I first got it. It worked exactly as described. Now, I've upgraded OSs anyway, because I'm a geek like that, but I certainly didn't need to do so for the device to work like they said it would. Sure there are some bugs, but its not bad.

Contrast this with, say, Windows XP, which was a disaster area until SP2, and STILL has major unsolved problems (like a bluetooth stack that belongs in 1998). Or contrast with WM5, which has tons of problems, and is barely stable. Or Motorola, who advertises features that no carrier activates without a firmware update.

The whole business needs to slow down a little, and improve product quality before releasing it. But compared to the rest, RIM does a pretty darn good job. Always room for improvement though..

peace,
sam
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #51
joginder

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Yes, I agree with most of you when it comes to quality and mass market. both do not go hand in hand.
I have baught used 7xxx series phones all the times and even if they are used they were in very very good condition.
Recently I baught a BB 8700c silver color and it is in such a back shape that it looks like it worked on the streets of Clark County, NV.
Same roughness could have been handled by 7230,90 or others.
just not happy on quality they are going after.
Closed Thread