Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Telus
Default Disable Phone features

Please Login to Remove!

We have recieved 50 new 7290 BB devices from Rogers with data/voice on them. I am wondering if there is anyway we can disable the voice part of the phone without effecting the data part?

Is there a policy in BES that will allow me to do this, or can some one tell me which setting I can change or remove under the Applications on the phone itself that will disable the phone part including removing the phone icon from the main screen?

We are using these BB's as devices via email.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Yes, there is an option in the IT Policy that can disable the phone.

I would recommend keeping the 'Default' policy intact, but make a new one and call it something like 'Phone Disabled', or something like that. This is more secure than removing the application because savvy users will figure out how to re-install it.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
Yes, there is an option in the IT Policy that can disable the phone.

I would recommend keeping the 'Default' policy intact, but make a new one and call it something like 'Phone Disabled', or something like that. This is more secure than removing the application because savvy users will figure out how to re-install it.
Whats the policy that I need to disable under BES 4.0.x?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

In Global Items, set "Allow Phone" to False.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

If you really want to disable voice, I'd turn it off on the SIM card*. If you disable voice on the BB by policy, someone could possibly still take the SIM out and use it in their own phone. If you don't want this to happen, get your supplier to turn off voice on the SIM.

*having never seen a non-European 7290, I'm assuming that they're all GPRS, and therefore have a SIM card. I could be wrong...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
If you really want to disable voice, I'd turn it off on the SIM card*. If you disable voice on the BB by policy, someone could possibly still take the SIM out and use it in their own phone. If you don't want this to happen, get your supplier to turn off voice on the SIM.

*having never seen a non-European 7290, I'm assuming that they're all GPRS, and therefore have a SIM card. I could be wrong...
Thanks for the information but here in Canada, more specific in Ontario all cell phone carriers only provide voice and data service to new blackberry customers and they refuse to only supply data service.

I see from the policy that it does allow the user to make emgerancy phone calls (if I read it correctly) so I am guessing it will allow them to dial 911 if they had to?

Secondly with the phone policy disabled if the user attempts to call some one using their address book the BB will also ignore this or give them an error message right? I have not check this out yet as I was not at the office today to try it out.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by autsoldnow
I see from the policy that it does allow the user to make emgerancy phone calls (if I read it correctly) so I am guessing it will allow them to dial 911 if they had to?
Yes, you can make ONLY 911 calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autsoldnow
Secondly with the phone policy disabled if the user attempts to call some one using their address book the BB will also ignore this or give them an error message right? I have not check this out yet as I was not at the office today to try it out.
The user will get a message saying the phone is disabled.