Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
flameofthevoid

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Bold 9900 Repeat Reboots and Crashes

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Bold 9900 that will randomly reboot 1-4 times per day and sometimes will crash while I am trying to read emails. Occasionally it will lock up when trying to read emails. I had the phone RMA'd from ATT once already and the replacement phone is worse. I have NO SD card in the phone. We do use a BES server and we are encrypting the phone. I am at the latest version of BBOS 7.1.0 Bundle 1997. Could this be the result of a bad SIM card?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Bold 9900 Repeat Reboots and Crashes

Generally the reboot is caused by either hardware or a bad battery. you did not mention if you added any APPS but if you or your company has then you might try deleting all added apps and see if the phone acts the same. Are you using the same charger? if it is not fully charging the phone it could be the cause. LI type batteries do not do good if allowed to discharge below 20%. If your going to a store for a replacement then try going to a ATT device support center. Again see if it works ok before your company activates it on the BES. Just try using it for a few days. It could be something they are loading.
The other problem may be low memory. Without a memory card all the data including any media must be on the internal memory. Check to see it is not low < 40 meg or so.

The SIM card could be an issue. Try it in a different phone. Also have ATT send a new one if your unsure.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Also, try booting the device in Safe Mode. To do this remove the battery, while holding down the back key reinsert the battery and hold for another 20 seconds or so then let go of it. This boots with no 3rd party apps running. If it still reboots it will rule out any 3rd party app problems.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
flameofthevoid

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I have no apps installed on the phone and never have. We only use them for email and phone calls. I cannot use it when it is off the BES due to security concerns, HIPPA and SSAE16 controls. I use 3 different chargers between my vehicle (car charger), home (BB charger), and work (USB charge off PC). The phone rarely gets below 50% as our phone are configured to completely wipe of the battery dies. I did swap the battery (had a spare) and it is still doing the same thing. I am going to ATT to have the SIM card replaced this afternoon.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Very often the replacement units are from a pool of devices others RMA'd due to problems. It's like the game of "pass the trash."

Updating the OS might solve things. Even downgrading to a previous OS version could solve the problem. Of course if it's a hardware fault there's nothing for it but another exchange, hoping you don't get another faulty device.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

ATT device support center is worth a visit. Tell them this is the second phone.

This link lists locations.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=mI4QYjcM7nv

Last edited by tsac; 01-01-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Closed Thread