Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
phonelovr

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -----
Default Some BB questions...

Please Login to Remove!

hello.
I have been considering, between other phones, getting a BB curve 8900.
But, since i never even used one, i want to know how is the typing on the phone, if you found any cons or negative parts in the phone/OS.
Now, one thing i want to know about is apps, how much are available,and preferably free? I used symbian, so i had apps for everything...
One more thing, i wont use email, that is the mostly known function of the BB and where BB seems to be unbeatable, do you think, consider not using email, that this BB is for me?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

I think with the typing, once you start using it, you'll get used to it. I've known several people who made the switch from a Palm (using Graffiti) to a BlackBerry. It was a bit strange at first, but they seemed to have all adjusted to the physical keyboard relatively quickly. So in that aspect I dont think there's too much of a problem.

Phone OS: RIM will come out with updated OS to address any issues in the previous OS.

Free apps: there are quite a bit of free apps available, but maybe not as much as with Symbian. I guess availability really boils down to what sort of apps you are looking for.

BBs strong suit is definitely it's email, so if that's not a big thing for you, there might be other smartphone alternatives (Nokia comes to mind, forgot which model though) that might suit you better. Some people are of the opinion that if you don't use email, having a BB is pointless. I'm not big on email myself, but I do like BBs as a smartphone. True I may not be using the device to its fullest potential and capabilities, but I'm happy with the functions that I would otherwise have on two separate devices (cell and PDA).
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

xxx8730; Never used a BlackBerry before.
xxx8730; Will not use email.
xxx8730; Probably don't know about BlackBerry Data Plans.

= Your BlackBerry experience will be an Epic Fail.

BlackBerrys are specialized devices. The focus is clearly email. Multimedia functions are there, but they're not strong. There are tons of apps available, but you tend to get what you pay for. The best ones are paid apps, not free.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
phonelovr

Well, i guess i have my answer.
Im actually familiar with the BB plans in my carrier and what i know from the blackberry and the OS is from watching a lot of reviews and read.
I wont use email because we use mostly sms because they are free for the same carrier...
Anyway, i only considered the BB because it was cheaper for me, but i don't a device that i won't be able to take full advantage of...
Thanks for the help
Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

No email usually means you won't get a data plan, and that also excludes internet (except over WiFi with a third-party browser) and BB Messenger. Plus apps like Viigo (RSS news reader), anything with maps, etc.

IMHO, not springing for the BlackBerry Data Plan cripples the overall BlackBerry experience. Folks that use them for only phone, SMS, and PIM features love them, but all too often end up complaining that one of these other features won't work. The answer is always the same: get the data plan.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelovr View Post
But, since i never even used one, i want to know how is the typing on the phone
You need to try it out in person for yourself. BB users very frequently have a strong preference for a keyboard on one model over another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelovr View Post
One more thing, i wont use email, that is the mostly known function of the BB and where BB seems to be unbeatable, do you think, consider not using email, that this BB is for me?
Difficult to say, really. I know a lot of BB owners that never use email on their BB's and are very happy. YMMV. Sounds like apps matter to you. I highly recommend checking out the Aftermarket Subforum to see if you can find what sound like suitable apps for you.

Also, make the most of your carrier's trial period and see if the BB is a good fit for you should you give it a shot.

Last edited by takeshi; 08-21-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Old 08-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
phonelovr

Thanks for the advices.
Im waiting to see if i can get more phones to choose from. The blackberry is for consideration but for last "resource", because i know i wont be taking full advantage of it...
Closed Thread