Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #21
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Please Login to Remove!

this app is pretty cool....but i think RIM is headed in that direction anyway. doing the HTML thing in email is a security problem, so that is why it's not available on BBs courtesy of RIM. Something i'm willing to deal with so that I don't worry about problems later on.

i bet maybe a generation down the road (next years' phones), BBs will already be doing this out of the box. but for now one of the problems i can see is bandwidth issues when everyone and their mothers start getting HTML content displayed on their phones, it will cause severe bottle-necks all over the place.

when 3G is officially rolled out by the major carriers who aren't quite there yet, this would not be a problem anymore.....
Old 05-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I dont agree. Security is hardly an issue as these are cell phones not PC's. I also see no difference with people browsing the web for hours a day, downloading games and tones and html email.

90+ % email is next to useless on a BB as it is now.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #23
JeffAUV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

This seems like a great way to clean up the look of e-mails sent as HTML without the aforementioned issues with BB's receiving true HTML e-mail. I will look forward to testing this out and likely purchasing it for my BB.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #24
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
Security is hardly an issue as these are cell phones not PC's.
just like PCs, phones will eventually get targeted too. did you think a bb is 'immune' or something ?

adding HTML capability or the ability to download additional email content will take up a large chunk of resources, as you said 90% + of emails are useless on a bb because they are HTML, so that's 90% + of email content that will be added to a given cell phone tower's workload. you are underestimating the problem.

Last edited by zero7404; 05-30-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
digg_man

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Is this gonna be a fresh app or work in conjuction with the existing Blackberry Mail client and just to present the mail beatifully?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #26
jocelyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel

Oh my! Most of us thought it was HTML. Anyway, thanks for clearing the doubts.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #27
eZainny

Model: 8300
Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
this app is pretty cool....but i think RIM is headed in that direction anyway. doing the HTML thing in email is a security problem, so that is why it's not available on BBs courtesy of RIM. Something i'm willing to deal with so that I don't worry about problems later on.

i bet maybe a generation down the road (next years' phones), BBs will already be doing this out of the box. but for now one of the problems i can see is bandwidth issues when everyone and their mothers start getting HTML content displayed on their phones, it will cause severe bottle-necks all over the place.

when 3G is officially rolled out by the major carriers who aren't quite there yet, this would not be a problem anymore.....
Hi sakman74,

Have a read of my post above. This is not an HTML email viewer. In fact, the only additional retrieval of content my program does is to pull down images it detects in the email - and you can turn that off.

I don't have confidence in RIM releasing something that does this anytime soon. This would require a massive infrastructure change since most of the work happens at the server not on the BlackBerry - so everyone will have to upgrade their BESs, companies will need to upgrade their systems, new OS, new devices, etc. That's a massive effort, in total.

In short, don't expect to see HTML email native on the BlackBerry anytime soon from RIM...

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers,
Zainny.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 AM   #28
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZainny View Post
A sad state of affairs in my opinion.
While you have a great product that has a mass market appeal, as seen by the number of replies and PMs, where do you see it in the market place when RIM *does* offer HTML viewing functionality natively within the Messages application? This functionality is rumored (discussed VERY briefly at WES) to have an introduction before the end of the year, FWIW.

Last edited by jibi; 05-31-2007 at 12:34 AM..
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 AM   #29
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
While you have a great product that has a mass market appeal, as seen by the number of replies and PMs, where do you see it in the market place when RIM *does* offer HTML viewing functionality natively within the Messages application? This functionality is rumored (discussed VERY briefly at WES) to have an introduction before the end of the year, FWIW.
Hi jibi, that's a fair question.

Firstly, I don't think RIM have a chance of getting anything like this out for a long time. As I said earlier, viewing HTML email natively is not just "a simple app. upgrade for the BlackBerry" - it's an upgrade to a whole enterprise system in use right around the world.

_Every_ BES will need to be upgraded to support this functionality. If your BES doesn't support it, you won't get it. And in turn, every user will probably need the latest OS to have this feature. Got an old BlackBerry? Probably too bad for you. Just a regular business user that doesn't want to go to the pain of upgrading your OS? (I was amazed at how you have to install something on your PC to upgrade your BB). Again, you won't see it.

So my point number 1 in reply would be while RIM internally could do HTML email viewing by the end of this year, it's going to be another 2 years at least (I believe) before you see this functionality supported for you, the end user. We're talking about a worldwide rollout here which not only involves RIM but tons of other big network providers - these guys don't act quick.

Point number 2 in reply is that this isn't a HTML email viewer. It improves ALL your emails (HTML or not). Even regular emails benefit amazingly from this product.

I'm a couple of hours off leaking another teaser which will demonstrate this even more so Stay tuned...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:49 AM   #30
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Just my $.02, but 99% of the problems with security issues and viruses associated with HTML email are directed at Microsoft OS/Products.

I am sure that anything is possible, but last time I checked no one is targeting Java based devices for DOS/virus/other attacks.

The OS on the BB just does not work that way...

Can't wait until the release to the general public.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #31
scoundrel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 23F2D941
Carrier: Etisalat

I want it now now now!!!! I had been a heavy Pocket PC user must of my life. LAST WM5 phone was the Jammin and your could use Profimail and see full email Now I am a certified Crackhead with my 8800, but I want full email with pictures and colors and all wonderfull things in life.

I want it now now now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #32
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
I want it now now now!!!! I had been a heavy Pocket PC user must of my life. LAST WM5 phone was the Jammin and your could use Profimail and see full email Now I am a certified Crackhead with my 8800, but I want full email with pictures and colors and all wonderfull things in life.

I want it now now now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You and the rest of us...
Old 06-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #33
eZainny

Beta is out now Beta Testers All the instructions you need are in your PM Inbox. Hope you like it!

If you didn't make it into the beta, sorry I had to keep the numbers down so it was manageable. But don't worry, if beta testing goes well you should hopefully see it out on the market soon where there will be a trial available for you to play with.

Cheers,
eZainny.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #34
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Beta is out now Beta Testers All the instructions you need are in your PM Inbox. Hope you like it!

If you didn't make it into the beta, sorry I had to keep the numbers down so it was manageable. But don't worry, if beta testing goes well you should hopefully see it out on the market soon where there will be a trial available for you to play with.

Cheers,
eZainny.
Why you tricky little ..... I happend to get a PM from you but not with the beta information ;) My hopes and dreams were destroyed
Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #35
zippys

PIN: 23FC3F70
Carrier: Cingular

what??? scam
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #36
jwhite4304

Model: 7130e

Install went well on a 7130e from Verizon. So far I am impressed with the program.
Jimbo

Quote:

Cheers,
eZainny.

Jimbo
Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #37
CableGuy711

Carrier: T-Mobile

i sent you some feedback already
Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #38
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Why you tricky little ..... I happend to get a PM from you but not with the beta information ;) My hopes and dreams were destroyed
Sorry someonexh, as I mentioned, I wanted to keep the number of beta testers to a manageable level and you came in a bit too late

The beta testers have already given me some awesome feedback and I'm going to work very hard to put their suggestions into effect. The benefit of all this of course is that by the time you see it, it should be more polished and you'll have a more pleasant experience

Not long to wait, I promise
Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 AM   #39
OrganicBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Hey Zainy......do you want us to just send you the feedback or post it here for an open dicsussion?

LOVE the software so far.....got a few things to report (sending message now)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 AM   #40
CableGuy711

Carrier: T-Mobile

another feedback email sent =)

Last edited by CableGuy711; 06-04-2007 at 04:44 AM..
Closed Thread