Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default AutoLock for BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

This started in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ypad-lock.html but I figured I should post it here, as it's buried in there.

AutoLock automatically turns on the keylock on the Pearl after the blacklight turns off.

0.5:
OTA
alx/cod

After installation, all options are in Options->AutoLock. Current options are:
  • Enable/Disable
  • Delay after backlight turns off: 1sec,5s,10s,15s,30s,45s,1min,2min,5min,10min
  • Action when plugged in: Lock/Don't Lock
  • Action when on call: Lock/Don't Lock

Last edited by metsfan; 02-02-2007 at 11:20 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
pretz33

Hi, other than OTA installation, is there a version I can download and install via the computer link?
Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I used BBManager to create a .cod and .alx. I'll post if it's ok with the developer of the app.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

That would have been fine with me, but I've put the alx/cod in a zip file: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackber...k/autolock.zip

Last edited by metsfan; 01-26-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Thanks! That's how I've been turning it on and off!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Pearl
No longer Registered.

Interesting idea... would be very annoying for me to have to hit those two buttons to unlock the phone. However even though you hit the buttons, the lights still come on, but the phone is locked.

if you could make it go to standby that would be sweet. Think of energy saved....
Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl
Interesting idea... would be very annoying for me to have to hit those two buttons to unlock the phone. However even though you hit the buttons, the lights still come on, but the phone is locked.

if you could make it go to standby that would be sweet. Think of energy saved....
I don't see any easy way to have an app put it in standby, but I'll keep looking. If I can do it, it'll be an option.

Last edited by metsfan; 01-26-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Version 0.3!

New in this version:
  • Removed Icon
  • Added Options
    • Enable/Disable
    • Delay after backlight shuts (1s,5s,10s,15s,30s)

To find these options, go to the Options app/menu and choose AutoLock.

OTA Download
ZIPped alx/cod for Application Loader installation.

Last edited by metsfan; 01-26-2007 at 06:01 PM..
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Sweeeet, I was waiting for the enable/disable to install and try - works like a charm, thanks for the code-fu!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120

Awesome app! Makes my life so much easier Gotta say, I'm loving my first day with the Pearl.

-B

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
rivviepop

@metsfan:

Out of curiosity (mainly for my battery life), how often does this app poll for the backlight having gone off for it to countdown? For instance, I have mine set to 30sec (ps: next version, can we get 45 and 60sec added?) -- given it's 30sec countdown, I'm wondering how often it actually is checking the handset.

Once it's in locked mode, I assume it stops polling altogether and only "wakes up" after the keyboard has been unlocked? (or the display becomes active?) Is there a seperate poll for this that's... longer?

One interesting side effect of using this that might be hard to catch if you're not looking close -- when you wake up the device after the backlight+lock has occured, the screen "goes white" for a split second before the normal mainscreen UI is redrawn.

- set it to 30secs, let the backlight turn off then wait for a lock
- press the pearlball (sic) to wake up the screen, watch carefully for the white flash (only happens for a split second)

...now go ahead and Disable autolock, let it sleep again (either keypad locked or unlocked, doesn't seem to matter) and then press the pearlball to wake it up -- no white-screen-flash occurs. I'm curious why this is happening with AutoLock.

EDIT: with the above, I have a black background which makes the white flash appear more boldly. Linked below from where I found it, it looks awesome on the black Pearl with the T-Mobile Zen theme.

Last edited by rivviepop; 01-27-2007 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

It doesn't poll at all. The RIM API includes a listener that will call the program whenever the backlight status changes. The delay option is how long to wait AFTER the backlight goes off. So if you set your backlight timeout to 30 seconds, and then the delay in AutoLock to 30 seconds, it'll be a minute before it locks the keys. For this, it just waits the additional delay, and checks again, doesn't poll either.

I can't see the white screen thing happening, but that doesn't mean it's not. Just means my eyes aren't fast enough.

New planned feature: Option to not lock if the device is plugged in to a power source.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan
It doesn't poll at all. The RIM API includes a listener that will call the program whenever the backlight status changes.
Oh now that is one sweet hook, it means we're not wasting any battery life at all using constant polling. wooo.

Yah on the 30secs -- I was feature-requesting 45 and 60 because there are times when I'm using the device but get interrupted (got kids or pets? ) and didn't really want it to lock so quickly as 30secs. Just one of those things...
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #14
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sure, I'll add those for the next release.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

0.4 out.

Adds longer delays, and the option to not lock the keys if the device is plugged in.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
rivviepop

thanks! I love the smell of fresh code on a Monday.

*click* *download* *reboot*

So I just realized I have one more feature request, but I'm not sure if it's doable on your end or not (depends if there's an API hook, I think). Would it be possible to have a checkbox option "don't lock during voice call" ?

A number of times I was kind of annoyed (not a lot, just a little) that the keypad autolocked while I was on a call; once I wanted to switch to speakerphone and had to unlock it mid-call, but the rest of the time I wanted to use the device right after hanging up.

This happened just 10 minutes ago while I was making a call during lunch, too bad I missed asking for the 0.4 release... Personally I want to not lock the keys while I'm talking (usually it involves hanging up, going into the calendar and adding a new meeting/appointment from that call).
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
thanks! I love the smell of fresh code on a Monday.

*click* *download* *reboot*

So I just realized I have one more feature request, but I'm not sure if it's doable on your end or not (depends if there's an API hook, I think). Would it be possible to have a checkbox option "don't lock during voice call" ?
I think I can do that. Initially, I tried to have that in there, but thought I had to have the program keep track of received and outgoing calls, and hangups, and just generally track the phone state, which would have been annoying and likely incomplete. Now, I think I've found a way to just check if the phone is on a call, so I should be able to.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #18
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120

Hey metsfan, what language are these apps written in? I'm not much of a programmer, but I was just curious to see if BB development is something I might be interested in teaching myself.

Also, thanks again for a great app!

EDIT: Ok, so I'm a big old idiot today... One would think that I'd realize its written in Java, with the BB being a java based platform LOL!

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.

Last edited by billclark; 01-29-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #19
trudgy

Carrier: Rogers

just wanna say loving your software, it's little apps like this that make everything seem to make your experience with the device so much better. keep up the good work and i'll be sure to drop ya a dontation in the near future
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
wdwms

Model: 9000

Would love to see the delays more configurable. Say 5-10 minutes.. 1 min after my screen goes out is too quick!

Thanks!
Closed Thread