BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #21
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Ok well I tested it for myself and it doesnt seem to interfere with my ability to use my phone or get email etc. It works great too.. I am pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
MobileRC

Model: 8300

if I were to uninstall and reinstall it would I have to readd my buddies as well (msn specific)? ICQ seems to add buddies automatically.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #23
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

No. All the buddies gets downloaded automatically on all IM networks.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #24
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

VeriChat has the "feature" of disconnecting from AIM all the time.

It will stay connected to MSN Messenger most of the time, but AIM falls off with little to no provocation.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #25
austinheat

Model: 7100t
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Downloading Verichat OTA for the 7100t

I've attempted to enter the address for downloading Verichat 1.91 OTA; however, I get a 404 error on my 7100t browser.

I had the previous version of Verichat loaded (from the web) and it connected fine the first time I started. After that, however, it wouldn't connect with more than one service at a time. Also, even when Verichat was shut down and I launched the default IM client, I noticed that none of the services would connect anymore; I kept getting a "Communication Error", even after shutting down and removing the battery.

I uninstalled Verichat (in prep for the OTA download) and tried running the default IM client again, but continue to get the same "Communication Error" message.

So, now I'm stuck - no working default IM client and no download for 1.91. Suggestions anyone?

UPDATE - this link worked: http://www.pdaapps.com/ota/VeriChat.jad ;
this one did not: http://www.verichat.com/ota/VeriChat.jad

The prob with the default client still exists...
Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #26
crowsnest
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

I have Verichat and IM+ and like the Verichat best so far. I'm disapointed I can't seem to get Yahoo on the IM+.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #27
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxchick
If two people have Blackberries that both have Verichat and you are primarily interested in chatting with each other at times that you cannot talk on the phone, is Verichat and IM in general the way to go or should we just use SMS?
Hi pdxchick,

Have you looked into a PIN message? If two people have BlackBerries then all you need to do is PIN the other person which is the same as an SMS except it wont cost you any $$. This is what I use for other people who have BB's as my data / voice plan does not include SMS messages so it costs me $0.10 ea message.

You can also look into alternate meathods of SMS like 'TeleFlip' which acts as a relay for those who dont have blackberries, etc. Read the thread that is hyperlinked here

Again, if you're looking to message between another BB user I'm assuming that you each have a data plan already so that should be covered to send a PIN from the message feild Click your wheel and select "Compose PIN" - From the Contact list select a name and click your track wheel and select "PIN 'contact name'".
Please note that in order to use this feature you need to have the PIN number of your contact programmed into the contact info.

To view your own PIN# from the home screen select Options / Status

Regards,

Dave
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #28
asfberg

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

cingular charged me data rates of either $0.03/kb or $0.01/kb for using verichat with the wix pay per use feature. not cool. they refunded the charges but removed the feature as well. will now call bb support to see what to do next.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 PM   #29
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfberg
cingular charged me data rates of either $0.03/kb or $0.01/kb for using verichat with the wix pay per use feature. not cool. they refunded the charges but removed the feature as well. will now call bb support to see what to do next.
It's looking like we're going to have to shell out the extra $10/month for a MDS service :(
Old 03-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #30
pikappilian

Im a newb so sorry if I am doing something wrong. I just installed Black Chat and it works fine with the 7520 but does Bchat support Aol aim??

Last edited by pikappilian; 03-15-2005 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: made a mistake
Old 03-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #31
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

No. BlackChat only supports ICQ.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #32
pikappilian

I am using web messenger on my 7520, when I log in it keeps saying that my device is currently out of coverage, is this normal? Do i have to do anything to the server settings, aol? whats the deal?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #33
AL904

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I have been using a trial version of Verichat on my 7730 with T-Mobile. ( I entered several posts, here, that got lost in the conversion to vBulletin. BTW, I love vBulletin. In fact, I am considering converting my forums to Bulletin.)

I am able to run AIM with Verichat without any problems. However, MSN, ICQ, and Yahoo! seem to cause problems. The single socket version may be the answer, when it is released.

In the meantime, I am considering Webmessenger. If I understand correctly, Webmessenger currently offers a single-socket connection to their server for all four IM clients. I can also understand the advantage of connecting to a third-party server that consolidates connections to AOL, Yahoo!, etc. rather than separate connections from the Blackberry to each. All the other IM software (including the yet-to-be-released RIM solution) will connect separately to each service. If I am wrong, please let me know.

I guess my real question is why fumble around with Verichat now, when Webmessenger is a viable solution right now? Are there disadvantages of Webmessenger that I am not seeing? Would I be better off to wait for the single-socket version of Verichat?

Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 PM   #34
AussieBB

Model: 7200
Carrier: Telstra

I am using 7730 and have Verichat installed and working fine, but cannot seem to get the same resuly with Blackchat program. I keep getting the error message at attempted log in that tunnel cannot be found. Any ideas on why Verichat works (on icq which is all I use it for) and Blackchat doesnt?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM   #35
techteam

Does anyone have an explanation of why all the IM clients are pay per year rather than pay per license? I am sure there is a reason, I am just not seeing it at the moment. thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #36
CINCNORAD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

I could be wrong... but I think it's because you're using their server for IM. You log into the IM services (aim, yahoo, msn etc) through their computers, and they keep you logged in all day. Otherwise, you'd have to maintain a constant connection through your own blackberry to five separate chat clients, which would kill your batteries, as well as disconnect when you went out of service range of towers etc.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #37
techteam

Thank you. I have looked at that image half a dozen times and my brain was just not in gear! I can see that now.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #38
tchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

sorry if anyone had already address this. How do you turn aim sound off? I just got a 7100t and using the software that came with it (OZ).

thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #39
briandor

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCNORAD
I could be wrong... but I think it's because you're using their server for IM. You log into the IM services (aim, yahoo, msn etc) through their computers, and they keep you logged in all day. Otherwise, you'd have to maintain a constant connection through your own blackberry to five separate chat clients, which would kill your batteries, as well as disconnect when you went out of service range of towers etc.

This is true. Ironically however the screenshot is for IM+ which is the one that doesn't charge a yearly fee. They only charge a one time purchase fee and then you are done. The client isn't designed as well as VeriChat but I refuse to buy something then have to pay a yearly fee for what is essentially a free service. There is not way in the world that it costs them anywhere near $30/client to maintain a server connection for 1 client. Besides that I can't even get VeriChat to stay connected for more than an hour at a time without rebooting. Doesn't matter how good the client is if it keeps killing your connection in the middle of conversations.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #40
techteam

After digging I see that IM+ is one time. the original post at the top of this thread says that it is annual. I thought I was missing something
Closed Thread