Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Smith_RS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Compass Mode?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Bold with AT&T. Like many other people I'm ticked that the AT&T version of Telenav removes the "Compass" screen. That is, what I wanted was a basic screen that just shows speed, compass heading, altitude (i.e., the basic output from the GPS), and will do this even if I'm not navigating based on a route at the time. Truthfully, route based navigation is not all that important to me. Most of the time I just want to find my way to a place and then tag it with a waypoint when I need to go back.

Do any programs do this anymore? It's frustrating that none of the apps provide what a basic handheld GPS gave me 10 years ago.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

I am not 100% confident - since I do not know that telenav software... but what I have understood from your post the GPSLogger "GPS" Screen might fit your requirements... [even it's not an graphic virtual compass]... see this attachmet:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...fline-9500.jpg
Old 02-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Smith_RS

Thanks for drawing my attention to GPSLogger. I was looking for a simple "dump the GPS output" type of program.

What I really want is for Garmin to provide an application that would make the BB act like an Etrex GPS unit. I am not holding my breath on this.

Again, thanks.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith_RS View Post
Thanks for drawing my attention to GPSLogger. I was looking for a simple "dump the GPS output" type of program.
actually of course I do not know 'Etrex GPS' output in details... but GPSLogger do not "have" to log the data... you can also use it just to get your current GPS location displayed... (that's why I attached that screenshot)...

But when I look on the Display of that Garmin device, that IMHO GPSLogger comes quite close (Except that it does not have a 3D compass (yet)]...

But might be that BlackStar (B*) is the application you are looking for?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Smith_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacf1 View Post
actually of course I do not know 'Etrex GPS' output in details...
Well, that's easy...

Link 1: http://gpsinformation.us/vistacolor/compassdisplay.jpg

Link 2: Vista Color and Legend Color Screen Shots

Link 3: GARMIN Vista and LEGEND COLOR GPS Product Review

Basically it comes down to the difference between a "GPS Application" and a "Navigational Application that uses GPS". If you give me a fully functional GPS app, I'll make it work for my needs. People seem to get too obsessed about the feature wars in the different navigational apps. Now, don't get me wrong, I like an app with beautiful real-time maps as much as the next guy, but if it's hitting the cellular network over that thin data pipe all the time, the app becomes unusable.

Thanks for the info. I think GPSLogger and BlackStar are both good programs and I'll be giving each of them a thorough try-out.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith_RS View Post
Now, don't get me wrong, I like an app with beautiful real-time maps as much as the next guy, but if it's hitting the cellular network over that thin data pipe all the time, the app becomes unusable.
Depends on your needs, really. I've used Telenav over thousands of miles without issues but I'm rarely driving in the sticks where there isn't coverage.

If you just need a compass or if you're geocaching/tagging (or if you're just logging a route/track) then Telenav and apps like it certainly aren't the correct choice.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-02-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

If you simply want the "old" version of AT&T's Telenav, you can use the actual Telenav version (not the AT&T branded version), available directly from the Telenav website.

I did this with my Sprint 8130, because (like you) I missed the compass. The newest release of Sprint Navigation deleted the compass function also. The Telenav version is identical to my older version of Sprint Navigation (I'm assuming the Telenav program is the same across all carriers...)

As I read this, my post sounds a bit confusing, hope it makes sense

Last edited by 9duc; 03-10-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Closed Thread