el_sheepo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -
Default ShangMail: free push e-mail without BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I discovered a free application yesterday which will let you use real push e-mail on your BlackBerry without BIS or BES. It's a Chinese product called ShangMail and an English version is now available (I don't speak Chinese myself, but I read that it is one of the best known push e-mail service in China).

What makes it truely amazing, is that it integrates with the native e-mail client, i.e. you can receive and send e-mail in / from the standard BlackBerry e-mail box, send an e-mail from the address book, send images as attachments and so on. This means it does NOT use its own e-mail application (just a tiny app is running in the background to hold up the connection to the ShangMail server) but the real, native BlackBerry mail client. New mail arrives within 1-2 minutes and the whole thing is very reliable.

It supports up to 5 POP and IMAP accounts which you can easily add via their web interface or directly on the phone. There are also quite a few options, for instance you can chose between push delivery and polling for new mail. If you're using IMAP, make sure that you don't have too many messages in your inbox though, for that could result in lengthy delays.

This product is absolutely amazing and it's free to use!

You can sign up for free here:

ShangMail--Mobile Email Expert

Important: To send e-mail, you will need to install a e-mail service book on your BB (which you normally won't have if you don't have BIS or BES). Contact their support via e-mail, and they will send you this service book for free (their support is amazing inspite of it being 100% free).

The only downfall compared to BIS I discovered so far (and I think I had a close look) is that attachments cannot be viewed directly from a message. But you can still download and open them afterwards. This is the same as with the BlackBerry redirector and shouldn't be a big issue to most of us.

P.S.: Also have a look at this web page to unlock the BlackBerry Browser without BIS or BES: Home ‎(BlackBerry Without BIS‎). The author offers free service books for both the browser and e-mail, so you can also use his e-mail service book to send mail instead of writing to the support team.

Last edited by el_sheepo; 02-08-2009 at 09:57 AM..
Old 02-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
dogth99

Model: 8700g
Carrier: BB

Bc anwom sang txxx7853;n xxx273;y rxxx7891;i cxxx417; .................kaka. Viva Vietnam
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
el_sheepo

I'm sorry, I don't speak Vietnamese, but I believe I understand that you wanted to compliment Anworm (the author of the site mentioned) on this - I can only support that, he is a real genious!

Forgot to mention that I found this program via his website too!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
dogth99

Oh, I'm sorry. I come from Vietnam. Anworm, oh, he is Vietnamese too
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
dogth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogth99 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. I come from Vietnam. Anworm, oh, he is Vietnamese too
In Vietnam, we used Shangmail several week ago. Because, there aren't service BIS or BES in Viietnam. Beside, you can use service Berrymail.cn of China
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
dogth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogth99 View Post
In Vietnam, we used Shangmail several week ago. Because, there aren't service BIS or BES in Viietnam. Beside, you can use service Berrymail.cn of China
You can see:
Push mail mới, miễn phx - DIỄN ĐÀN TINH TẾ
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8800)

I'd be cautious of any service that routes my e-mail through servers located in China.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu-wei View Post
Wirelessly posted (8800)

I'd be cautious of any service that routes my e-mail through servers located in China.
X2.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

agreed
Old 02-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
makedonce

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK

played with it with a bogus e-mail account. Its nice and instant. However, one thing i noticed, there is no notification. The led flashes, but no sound or the red star show on the envelope.
BB Support rule #1: When in doubt, pull it out..... (the battery)

http://www.twitter.com/petarnikoloski
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
el_sheepo

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
played with it with a bogus e-mail account. Its nice and instant. However, one thing i noticed, there is no notification. The led flashes, but no sound or the red star show on the envelope.
Notification is fully customizable like a BIS / BES account. It's set up through the standard profile management (profile "ShangMail"), not inside the ShangMail application itself.

I also noticed that no red star shows on the envelope, though. But as the number next to the envelope is accurate, I really don't care.

Last edited by el_sheepo; 02-08-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
makedonce

Thanx. I just discovered it.
One more question: What is the purpose of the default account? I want to be able to sent all new mail from the default account, however when i compose mail it shows as sent from Gmail.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
el_sheepo

Wirelessly posted

I tried changing the default account and all new messages were sent by the address of the default account after that. I changed it back and the effect was reverted, so everything works as expected.

Not sure why this doesn't work for you.

Last edited by el_sheepo; 02-08-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
makedonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_sheepo View Post
Wirelessly posted

I tried changing the default account and all new messages were sent by the address of the default account after that. I changed it back and the effect was reverted, so everything works as expected.

Not sure why this doesn't work for you.
For some reason, the account I would like to set as default cannot be installed on my device. I have it working fine on the web but when i try on my handheld, it says it cannot be verified. I emailed tech support.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
makedonce

Did u set up your account on the web or on ur device?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
makedonce

i got it all figured out except for one thing: Every time a new mail message comes, i get two envelopes. If i mark it as read.. i still have an envelope.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
makedonce

been working fine all day. However, when a new message arrives the notification icon shows 2 new messages. After i read the message, it shows that there is one unread. When a new message comes the number next to the notification says 3 messages etc.. anyone know why?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
el_sheepo

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
been working fine all day. However, when a new message arrives the notification icon shows 2 new messages. After i read the message, it shows that there is one unread. When a new message comes the number next to the notification says 3 messages etc.. anyone know why?
Try selecting the topmost date bar (e.g. "Mon, Feb 9, 2009") in the message box, clicking the menu button and selecting "Mark prior opened" from the menu. This will mark all messages read, so the envelope should disappear.

And I take from your signature that you already tried pulling out the battery ;).

P.S.: I have set up accounts from both the web interface and the device. Both work equally well, except that I only succeeded in setting up a "custom account" with IMAP from the web and not from the BB.

Last edited by el_sheepo; 02-09-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
makedonce

When i do a battery pull the envelope resets. However, once the first message comes, the problem starts happening. I get one message, the envelope says two. I read one, one is undread. New message comes in, and i suddenly have 3 unread. I got up to 50 unread today.
I have set up only POP accounts. I cant set up gmail with IMAP. One thing that i would like to see if OWA availability

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
pin

Model: 8120
Carrier: China Mobile HK

Tried this out yesterday using a bogus Gmail account (using IMAP).

Seems to work fine, however mail receipt is not instant, takes about 5 mins after sending mail to receive it.

I can't seem to get red LED notification, but I do get the envelope coming up.

At the end of messages sent from my BB, I get "Powered by Shangmail" as the signature.

Very tempted by the service, as it is free (however, how long will it stay free). The other thing is that messages will pass through (and stay?) on their servers in China (co. seems to be located in Beijing). Not 100% confident with that (but then again who do you trust more, the Chinese government or Gmail, or at least which is the lesser of two evils?)

I'm presently using the BB Gmail app, which I am generally quite happy with, but being able to integrate and utilise the email function of the blackberry is very tempting.
Closed Thread