BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
esvhaynes

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Advice Needed- Blackberry 9530 purchase!

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so I'm currently a Verizon LG Voyager user, but formerly had a Blackberry Curve when I had TMobile service a few months back. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Storm and I need advice. Being impatient and impulsive- I have found a couple of stores in the UK that have a few units of the 9530 that can be shipped here for use with Verizon (the US version.) I can get it for probably half the price that it will be released for here next month (if you do a Google search you can already pre-order it from one store in the US online for $600.) Will it be okay to do- any opinions welcome- want it to be compatible and I want to be able to use all the Verizon features I currently have if they come with this model too (VVM, Get It Now, Navigator, etc.)

Here is what the website says:

Brand New BlackBerry Storm 9530:.

This Item is Brand New,Factory Sealed,Sim Free,Unlocked BlackBerry Storm 9530...

The BlackBerry Storm 9530 are genuine, and comes with 1 Year Manufacturers International warranty and Full accessories , also BRAND NEW , Unlocked , in original box, never opened. For further details regarding the transaction or any other questions please email me.

Please note: This phone is unlocked and can be used with any SIM card. No activation required..

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 2100 CDMA2000 1x EV-DO Size Dimensions 112.5 x 62.2 x 14 mm Weight 155 g Display Type TFT touchscreen, 65K colors Size 360 x 480 pixels, 3.25 inches - Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate Ringtones Type Polyphonic (32 channels), MP3 Customization Download Vibration Yes Memory Phonebook Yes, Photocall Call records Yes Card slot microSD (TransFlash), microSDHC, up to 8 GB - 128 MB RAM - 1 GB storage memory - 624 MHz CPU Data GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps HSCSD No EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps 3G HSDPA WLAN No Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 Infrared port No USB Yes, v2.0 Features OS BlackBerry OS Messaging SMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging Browser HTML Games Yes + downloadable Colors Black Camera 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus, video, flash - Built-in GPS - A-GPS function - BlackBerry maps - DataViz document viewer/editor - Java - Media player MP3/WMA/AAC+ - 3.5 mm audio output jack - Video player MPEG4/3gp/H.264/WMV - Organizer - Calculator - Voice dial - Built-in handsfree - Voice memo Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1400 mAh Stand-by Up to 360 h Talk time Up to 5 h 30 min

Availability and versions Networks: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 900/1700/1900/2100 MHz UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 850/1700/1900/2100 MHz

Our Last Quater of the Year Companies Promotional Sales bonanza is on and if you buy up to 2 units of any products,you get 1 Item FREE and thats the reason for the drop in price and not about turn around but attracting numerous customers like you worldwide...

Some of our prices may seem too good to be true but they are. Honesty is our only policy and if we are selling a product as real you can trust that it is.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I my self would wait for Verizon. If you ever have a problem within the first year you can return it and get a referb or they can fix it. That to me is the most important part.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
I my self would wait for Verizon. If you ever have a problem within the first year you can return it and get a referb or they can fix it. That to me is the most important part.
Yeah, agreed.

As someone who bought a Blackberry online and was then unable to do anything with it when it had serious problems (because I did not buy it from T-Mobile and they were not willing to do anything for me aside from sell me a new phone) I highly advocate waiting and getting one from the actual carrier. You never know when that might come in handy.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I also do not see any discussion of CDMA in the spec. sheet that was included in the OP posting. Bottom line: Run like the wind.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
esvhaynes

Default Thanks!

I don't want to purchase a headache that won't work here, so I think I'll take everyone's advice and wait! They want moneygrams anyway claiming there is a problem with their credit card authorization so you can't purchase via the website... red flag! Duh Shannon! While on the topic- anyone know the ballpark price range for this one if you get it from Verizon? I read the release date is set for 11/10...

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

It would make sense to wait. If you're going to use it on Verizon why not get it through them? It will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
esvhaynes

Really, that's all? mobilecityonline.com is taking pre-orders already for the 11/10 release date and they have the retail price listed as $699 but are selling them on their site for $599, so I figured they would be close to $600 straight from Verizon! Thanks for the news!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

100% scam, the network specs listed are not even correct.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
esvhaynes

Default Blackberry Storm update from head Verizon PR person...

I received this message earlier today when I emailed Verizon's head PR contact in charge of the Blackberry Storm release, just FYI in case anyone is interested:

"Thank you for your question and your caution. I'm responsible for all of the PR on the BlackBerry Storm for Verizon Wireless and I work closely with RIM and with Vodafone to track where we are in the development of the final software. The software isn't final and I know for a fact that RIM has not distributed devices to either company. If the phone you are thinking of buying is a GSM phone, then it won't work on the Verizon Wireless network because we use CDMA technology in the U.S. Locked or unlocked a GSM phone won't work on the Verizon Wireless network because the technologies are not compatible. The Storm we are going to sell is a CDMA/GSM phone. I have no idea what is being sold in Europe or who manufactured it so my only advice is buyer beware."

Brenda B Raney
Old 10-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esvhaynes View Post
I received this message earlier today when I emailed Verizon's head PR contact in charge of the Blackberry Storm release, just FYI in case anyone is interested:

"Thank you for your question and your caution. I'm responsible for all of the PR on the BlackBerry Storm for Verizon Wireless and I work closely with RIM and with Vodafone to track where we are in the development of the final software. The software isn't final and I know for a fact that RIM has not distributed devices to either company. If the phone you are thinking of buying is a GSM phone, then it won't work on the Verizon Wireless network because we use CDMA technology in the U.S. Locked or unlocked a GSM phone won't work on the Verizon Wireless network because the technologies are not compatible. The Storm we are going to sell is a CDMA/GSM phone. I have no idea what is being sold in Europe or who manufactured it so my only advice is buyer beware."

Brenda B Raney
I love this email "I work closely with RIM and with Vodafone to track where we are in the development" and then she says "I have no idea what is being sold in Europe or who manufactured it"

That is working closely!!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Just not to closely!!!! must not want to blow their cover
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Here are the specs for both the Voda and Verizon Storm in case Brenda reads the forum. They are the same device with the exception of branding:

Touch Phone - BlackBerry Storm Specs
Closed Thread