Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
divabeadz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Unicel
Default Pearl vs 8830 vs Curve -- I need a new phone

Please Login to Remove!

I was originally on Tmo Pearl due to my job but when I switched to new area, there was no Tmo coverage so I unlocked my Pearl and switched to Unicel (no BB service) and just used it as a phone. Pearl died on me - Tmo tech support has been unable to fix it so I'll need to send it to RIM to be repaired. Decided just to take this as an opportunity to change carriers since repaired or not, I still don't have BB service on Unicel. I live and work in "Podunk" so the best carriers for the area are US Cellular and 2nd best is Verizon. Since there is a new US-Cell tower in the area and another new one going up near my job, I am fairly certain I'll go with US Cell. If that's the case, I'll need to decide whether to get another Pearl or go with the 8830.

I compared all the features of the 3 phones (included Curve in the mix since I could go with Verizon if the phone is really that much better).

8830 doesn't have camera or video recording - I'm not too concerned about that since I rarely used used the pearl as a camera, although I did sometimes.

I loved the qwerty suretype on the pearl -- will I really miss that?? Of course I think I will really miss it, but is this reason enough to stick with a pearl again?

One thing that disappointed me about the pearl was the task feature and the scheduling/calender -- nowhere near as useful as my Palm TX so I found myself still using both devices. Are either the 8830 or the Curve that much better when it comes to pda type features.

So I'm lookng for opinions:
* do I stick with the pearl b/c I will die without suretype
* do I go with 8830 with US Cell b/c it's got the most reliable coverage in my podunk area?
* do I go with Curve because I am a sucker for the prettiest phone?
* which phone is best when it comes to pda/task/scheduling/calender features?
* other opinions

Thanks so much! I can hardly wait to have a working Blackberry in my grubby little paws!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (phoobia?)

All BB's have the same basic functionality

There are some third party apps that provide the better functionality that you seek
Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabeadz View Post
I compared all the features of the 3 phones (included Curve in the mix since I could go with Verizon if the phone is really that much better).
Huh? TMO and at&t also carry the Curve -- though it would help if you would reference specific model number and not entire product lines since features vary by model.

Quote:
I loved the qwerty suretype on the pearl -- will I really miss that?? Of course I think I will really miss it, but is this reason enough to stick with a pearl again?
It's a subjective matter. Only you can answer that. I can't stand SureType. Asking others is pretty pointless IMO as some people prefer SureType and other prefer full qwerty.

Quote:
Are either the 8830 or the Curve that much better when it comes to pda type features.

So I'm lookng for opinions:
* do I stick with the pearl b/c I will die without suretype
* do I go with 8830 with US Cell b/c it's got the most reliable coverage in my podunk area?
* do I go with Curve because I am a sucker for the prettiest phone?
* which phone is best when it comes to pda/task/scheduling/calender features?
* other opinions
Core functionality is the same as has already been mentioned. Pick based on the keyboard and features you prefer (the same answer for all "which device?" threads). Again, as usual, pick your carrier based on coverage first. A wireless device without coverage makes for an expensive paperweight.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
divabeadz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Unicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Huh? TMO and at&t also carry the Curve -- though it would help if you would reference specific model number and not entire product lines since features vary by model.
Sorry about that -- I hadn't realized there were so many models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Asking others is pretty pointless IMO
I like hearing others opinions because sometimes you hear a point of view you hadn't considered. I always know when I ask a broad question like that if 10 people respond I'll get 10 different opinions. I think what I should have asked is "what do YOU like about this model or that model" -- I realize my question just asked what I should do.

After reading a bunch of reviews I am almost sure I will just bite the bullet and get another Pearl.
Closed Thread