Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
it should work
If you have a BB plan, yes. So get the BlackBerry plan not the iPhone/generic plan, if you want to use both a BlackBerry AND iPhone.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
GolfGuy1981
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

It works with the BB plan for sure. Thats how I am using it right now.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #24
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds to me that the iPhone2 is not quite what it was cracked up to be.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 AM   #25
GolfGuy1981

To be honest... I have already considered returning it or just canceling the contract with the $175 etf next month and using it as an iPod.... or with my BB sim time to time. Not as impressive as what I thought.. and definitely not nearly as unique as some of my previous phones.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #26
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

My next door neighbor got one on Sat and has had alot of trouble. I played with it for about two hours and it seemed sluggish to me, sometimes when using the browser, it would go blank and return to the home screen. Some of the new downloaded software did not work at all and what did work was buggy.

Worst part was we get excellent 3G in my location and it was only showing 1 or 2 bars with 3G. UTube as very slow to load. My neighbor was quite upset and I can not blame him. He waited for this for a long time. I am glad I got to play with his as it got it out of my system rather quickly!

I sure as heck hope the Bold get better 3G reception!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-14-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #27
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
My next door neighbor got one on Sat and has had alot of trouble. I played with it for about two hours and it seemed sluggish to me, sometimes when using the browser, it would go blank and return to the home screen. Some of the new downloaded software did not work at all and what did work was buggy.

Worst part was we get excellent 3G in my location and it was only showing 1 or 2 bars with 3G. UTube as very slow to load. My neighbor was quite upset and I can not blame him. He waited for this for a long time. I am glad I got to play with his as it got it out of my system rather quickly!

I sure as heck hope the Bold get better 3G reception!
I have had none of those issues. Mine is very speedy.

The biggest concern for me so far is battery life, and where to get the money to pay for all of those awesome apps.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #28
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold

I realy like my 3g iphone. The sim from my 8310 works perfectly so ill cancel the att contract after 30 days and pay the fee. I think 2.0.1 will fix most of the issues people are experiencing at first. The BB is still the best messaging device hands down but I am finding a lot of usefull and fun stuff as far as iphone apps go now. I like how I can access drafts from Exchange on the iphone and send them after ive left the office if I forget. Anytime you get a new toy you play with it more then usual so battery life will be worse. 3g is a hog on any phone but you have the option to turn it off if you get low.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #29
GolfGuy1981

The only thing you have to worry about is getting past the activation screen when you update the software. So if you only have a BB plan and try to activate through iTunes it will force you to change your plan. But getting past the activation screen is usually pretty easy for the third party programs. Since no unlocking is necessary (with an ATT sim) this really should just work like all of the other phones that you transfer sims to and from.

ATT claims that the data costs $30.00 in addition which is basically what your paying for with the BB plan.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGuy1981 View Post
The only thing you have to worry about is getting past the activation screen when you update the software. So if you only have a BB plan and try to activate through iTunes it will force you to change your plan. But getting past the activation screen is usually pretty easy for the third party programs. Since no unlocking is necessary (with an ATT sim) this really should just work like all of the other phones that you transfer sims to and from.

ATT claims that the data costs $30.00 in addition which is basically what your paying for with the BB plan.
Does anybody know if I bought an Iphone 3g at an Apple Store and activated it on AT&T (new account) if I could then call AT&T and switch the iPhone plan to a Blackberry plan so that I could use both?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #31
GolfGuy1981

That should work fine. I would just wait a month or two before doing it so its not so obvious.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 AM   #32
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I realy like my 3g iphone. The sim from my 8310 works perfectly so ill cancel the att contract after 30 days and pay the fee. I think 2.0.1 will fix most of the issues people are experiencing at first. The BB is still the best messaging device hands down but I am finding a lot of usefull and fun stuff as far as iphone apps go now. I like how I can access drafts from Exchange on the iphone and send them after ive left the office if I forget. Anytime you get a new toy you play with it more then usual so battery life will be worse. 3g is a hog on any phone but you have the option to turn it off if you get low.
Did you pay full price for the iPhone or the subsidized price? If you paid a subsidized price, then not only do you have to pay the fee, but if you intend to keep the iPhone you must pay the full price, which if I am not mistake is 399 or 499 depending on the model you have.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #33
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
Did you pay full price for the iPhone or the subsidized price? If you paid a subsidized price, then not only do you have to pay the fee, but if you intend to keep the iPhone you must pay the full price, which if I am not mistake is 399 or 499 depending on the model you have.
Are you sure about this? I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #34
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

AT&T changed the terms with the iPhone 3G. Check BEFORE canceling the iPhone contract. I read on one web site that if you cancel the contract, you have to return the iPhone!

AT&T would have done a better job if they offered subsidized phones with the two year plan, then unsubsidized phones - with no restrictions - for a much higher price.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #35
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
AT&T changed the terms with the iPhone 3G. Check BEFORE canceling the iPhone contract. I read on one web site that if you cancel the contract, you have to return the iPhone!

AT&T would have done a better job if they offered subsidized phones with the two year plan, then unsubsidized phones - with no restrictions - for a much higher price.
Ouch! I had one in hand at the Apple store yesterday and was all set to purchase it. The Apple Guy enters my info and up pops that I have an IRU (FAN account). Now he tells me I can't purchase the phone. Told him I don't care about an IRU discount on the plan, I was willing to pay the full price, and just make it go away. Apple Guy can't do a thing and says I have to purchase from AT&T (yeah, wait until whenever) so I leave the store empty handed.

This is one of the most convoluted provisioning process I have ever seen. Apple is required to do alll the provisioning but has no access to the AT&T provisioning system to make changes. The attitude in the Apple store was tough luck, go complain to AT&T.

The Bold upgrade (if it ever comes) is looking much better
Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #36
GolfGuy1981

Read your contracts and conditions. If you cancel before 30 days then the ETF is waived and you return the equipment. If you wait until after 30 days then you keep the equipment and pay the fee regardless of the subsidized price. I confirmed that with several reps.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #37
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

[QUOTE=ATT claims that the data costs $30.00 in addition which is basically what your paying for with the BB plan.[/QUOTE]

I really want an iphone for nights and weekends and just want to swap my sim in the BB. I don't need visual voicemail as I have grandcentral which works great for me.

I've been down this road with AT&T for the last week via email and phone. I spoke with tech support and customer service a few times, no idea how high up the food chain the last person I spoke with was. They all agreed the BB sim will work and I'm free to make calls and SMS at no additional cost. But, they also warned me if I use data on the phone, they'll tack on a $30/mo iphone data plan fee to the sim in addition to the BB plan. The last person was pretty clear and persistent that AT&T was going to be strict about this.

I have no idea if they would actually audit the accounts and do this especially for casual use; just passing along the information they gave me. I still may give it a try. Right now, I'm on the fence, continue with my 8820 which is working well and get the iphone or go with a Bold. Since IT Policy cripples the Blackberry, the iphone is looking good right now.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #38
HDClown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

I'm looking to switch my SIM betweeb my BB8300 and an iPhone.

The iPhone is a first generation phone, and it's actually never been used, still in shrink wrap (long story). I opened it up tonight for the first time and it's been charged. It's unactivated since it's still NIB state.

My BB plan is on a business account, unlimited dats w/BES ($45.00). I have no texting on the BB because I don't do texting. The iPhone unlimited data plan for business is the same $45.00/mo, so I'm not going to be trying to cheat AT&T out of any service charges by switching my SIM between a BB and an iPhone.

When I talked to business customer care, they said they need to move my # to the SIM in the iPhone, setup the iPhone unlimited data plan for $45 and then I'd be good to go. If I wanted to go back to my BB, they'd have to move my # back to the BB SIM.

As I read this thread correctly, it seems like I could use ZiPhone or Pwnage to do an activate, jailbreak, and unlock on the iPhone, and then I'd be able to take my SIM, as-is, and put it in the iPhone. If I do this, I'd have unlimited data but no visual voicemail.

If I do this, I wouldn't incur any additional charges when using the SIM that has Unlimited BES Data on it, in the iPhone, right? I found some older posts that says you "could" end up being charge out the nose for data, but is that going to occur in my situation?

Last edited by HDClown; 07-31-2008 at 09:51 PM..
Closed Thread