BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #101
cab1945

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Dowloaded from the site found a few posts above this.

Uninstalled trial version, which I downloaded from Garmin, version 5.0.2

Installed Handango's, it turned out to be version: 5.0.4, files are dated Oct. 02-08

Works flawlesly on my Bold, all for <$80.
Note: Use "LUCKY20" to get $20.00 discount.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #102
hsevn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Black Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmogen View Post
Only North America is supported currently.
Then I had paid 104usd for nothing :((. handango should tell us about this before purchasing...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #103
Spazmogen

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsevn View Post
Then I had paid 104usd for nothing :((. handango should tell us about this before purchasing...
Time for a refund then. I've found Handango pretty good at refunding $ quickly.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #104
hsevn

Carrier: Black Berry

Thanks for you advice. I will contact Garmin today for a solution, if not then I need to refund.

This is good lesson learn for the oversea users like me
Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #105
The Canuck

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

has anyone gotten it to work recently? It keeps telling me that the server is unavailable for the trial.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #106
paradox606

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Does the garmin blackberry have good maps in mexico?

I keep hearing "North America" maps. Does that mean mexico is also included? I know that garmin just released a new update of their mexico maps for the SD card offerings, but is that data also in OTA maps?

Can somebody whos trying out the blackberry garmin software see if there is accurate map data in and around cancun?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #107
bnewkirk

Model: Bold2
Carrier: AT&T

I have Garmin Mobile 5.0.2 installed on my AT&T Curve. It works pretty good except I can not figure out how to get it to work with an address from my BB contact list. I select Contacts and pick the contact but it tells me "The selected contact has not been assigned a geo-location. Select OK to assign one."

I do this and get the address on the screen but then the only thing I can do is go back to the Mobile main menu.

Has anyone gotten this to work?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #108
htny

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

One of my biggest issues with Garmin Mobile, which I currently use with a Garmin 10x GPS puck on my T-Mobile 8320 Curve, is that I can't navigate (more than a few blocks at least) and talk on the phone simultaneously.

I figured this was a limitation of EDGE technology only allowing either voice or data at any one time, but as I understand it the Bold supports multiplexing/simultaneous voice & data.

Has anyone tried navigating a good distance and talking on the phone simultaneously on the Bold + Garmin Mobile? And if you did get it to work, did you use the internal GPS or a puck?

This is my only real reason to upgrade to the Bold, since it's only on long rides that I really use the cell phone in the car, and it's only on long drives that I need GPS!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #109
Spazmogen

Model: BOLD

Canadians:

Garmin can now handle Canadian sales directly!

Use this LINK and get it for $83.99USD including GST.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #110
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmogen View Post
$79 is more in the range of what I would expect to pay. $99 was too much in my mind.
I downloaded the free trial of Garmin Mobile on my BlackBerry Bold and it flawlessly navigated me through confusing Montreal roads.

Easiest and good looking graphics -- totally handsfree just like a genuine Nuvi without being too 'fiddly' like many free brands (Amaze, Spot, BlackBerry Maps, Google Maps, etc)

Wish I could put maps on SD card, but I'll tolerate 3G. EDGE was even pretty speedy on this too. At $99, it's too much, but at $79, I will consider buying in the next two months, but the Canadian currency is a bit in my disfavour (Over $100 CAD)

I used Garmin Mobile while data roaming to the U.S. a little. I used less than 50 cents of data roaming on a drive from Boston to Montreal. (The new $10 Rogers Canada US data roaming option lowers cost to $0.001 per kilobyte, or $1 per megabyte. Still pricey, but I used only 500 kilobytes of data in one day while using Garmin Mobile. That's 50 cents with the new lower-cost data roaming plan) .... Now, my data in Canada is pretty essentially flat rate, so no roaming cost while in Canada. So basically, the data roaming cost is 'manageable' for the occasional trips across the border, as it appears Garmin has optimized data compression very well -- less data than Google Maps!

The nicest part was during my drive through the 15/20/720 tanglerchange, it was able to tell me to fork right, then immediately fork left for two consecutive forks less than 300 meters apart -- I've gotten lost in Montreal more than once trying to drive through this crazy interchange, and Garmin Mobile passed the Montreal test on complete autopilot -- not touched my BlackBerry a single time. Once, I intentionally left the GPS route to go to the loo, it automatically recalculated from where I parked, so no intervention needed there either.

Subscription expired. It'll be a couple months before I feel like buying again: Next time I drive through a challenging city...

The 7 day free trail was fun for the roadtrip. Certainly definitely eliminates the need to carry a Nuvi -- it's actually better than a small Nuvi because of the high-res 480x320 screen. Just need a carmount for it, tap the address, and it's on autopilot for the entire route, so the easiest BlackBerry GPS to go to "legal compliance" with the new laws preventing me from handling loose gadgets in car. There are other good ones, but Garmin really has made 5.x work excellently on a BlackBerry Bold, and it now reminds me much more like a standalone Nuvi -- The first version of Garmin for BlackBerry had many bugs, wasn't as Canada friendly, but they improved this newer Bold version to the point where it's now seems to be worth its price. It knew its way around Boston, Montreal, Ottawa -- so it appears very Canada-friendly now.

In short: Version 5.x of Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry is MUCH better than the first time I tested Garmin Mobile on a previous BlackBerry earlier this year. It actually uses the FULL-SCREEN-WIDTH for maps -- which I like, where the earlier one used a side-by-side split without an option to use the full screen.

Note: Garmin now allows purchase from Canada from what I see on their website.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-28-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #111
obeythelaw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

i've been reading conflicting things regarding verizon 8330 and the garmin mobile (or any mobile gps app). some say that it will work with a puck. others have said that verizon "unlocked" their gps for curve and storm and therefore the internal gps will work with the gps mobile app. can anyone say for sure? i'd prefer to use the interal gps so i don't have to hav ea puck around.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #112
conazo

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
i've been reading conflicting things regarding verizon 8330 and the garmin mobile (or any mobile gps app). some say that it will work with a puck. others have said that verizon "unlocked" their gps for curve and storm and therefore the internal gps will work with the gps mobile app. can anyone say for sure? i'd prefer to use the interal gps so i don't have to hav ea puck around.
I have it installed and Running Smooth with no Problems on my Storm. Storm's GPS is Unlocked, I came from the Curve 8330 it won't work on it.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #113
Javca

Carrier: Digitel
Default HELP!! Garmin Mobile !!

Hi, can anybody tell me if with MapSource i can transfer maps to my blackberry 9000. I use MapSource to transfer maps to my 276c, but with the blackberry i dont know.

Thank You.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #114
jeb8300

PIN: 20CF36D8
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javca View Post
Hi, can anybody tell me if with MapSource i can transfer maps to my blackberry 9000. I use MapSource to transfer maps to my 276c, but with the blackberry i dont know.

Thank You.
blackberry doesnt support maps on the device, they are downloaded in real time ota...
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #115
Barfaroo

Carrier: US Cellular
Default Garmin on 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by conazo View Post
I have it installed and Running Smooth with no Problems on my Storm. Storm's GPS is Unlocked, I came from the Curve 8330 it won't work on it.
I use Garmin Mobile on my 8330 and love it. It works with either the internal gps or the Keychain puck, depending on how BB options is set. The only problem is the voice directions are sometimes incorrect while the visual display is accurate. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #116
NorthAurora

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfaroo View Post
I use Garmin Mobile on my 8330 and love it. It works with either the internal gps or the Keychain puck, depending on how BB options is set. The only problem is the voice directions are sometimes incorrect while the visual display is accurate. Anyone else have this problem?
I am currently trying the Garmin app for 7 days on a new 8900. I like it a lot, but I have observed the same problem. Sometimes the voice said turn left, when in fact I needed to turn right and the map and arrow directions were leading me right. Strange!

The voice sounds a bit tinny, some important features from my Nuvi are missing (like navigating to coordinates), and overall the GPS seems quite a bit less accurate than my Nuvi.

However, for $79 it a good backup plan in case I don't have the Nuvi on me. I am considering it at this point.

Another option is a free program such as Nav4All, which is more cumbersome to use, but offers many of the same options for free.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #117
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

its interesting that garmin came out with this. i've been using telenav for the past 2 yrs. i pay 100/yr for the service. how are the POI's & navigation on the garmin for blackberry ? i have a nuvi 760, and i like using telenav better...

now that i have a storm, telenav display is larger and more comparable to a nuvi...

garmin's is 80 bucks for life of device....so does this mean when you get another device, u have to pay another 80 to use garmin on it ?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #118
hippiefreak34

Carrier: Verizon

Is there any way to get around the verizon "lock out" I like the features of VZ navigator, but having to pay a monthly fee is absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind if they made me pay a one time fee. I would love to use the Garmin, but because of stupid verizon I can't. Anyone know a way around this other than switching from Verizon?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #119
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefreak34 View Post
Is there any way to get around the verizon "lock out" I like the features of VZ navigator, but having to pay a monthly fee is absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind if they made me pay a one time fee. I would love to use the Garmin, but because of stupid verizon I can't. Anyone know a way around this other than switching from Verizon?
i don't believe that the GPS is hardware locked, but rather the software that came with your phone may be preventing you using the GPS for another app.

are you still running OS .75 (the OS that the phone came with) ?
i know that after i unlocked the phone and updated the OS to .76, i was able to load and use Telenav, just go into advanced settings and make your your "GPS services" are set to "Location On"
Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #120
Barfaroo

Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
its interesting that garmin came out with this. i've been using telenav for the past 2 yrs. i pay 100/yr for the service. how are the POI's & navigation on the garmin for blackberry ? i have a nuvi 760, and i like using telenav better...

now that i have a storm, telenav display is larger and more comparable to a nuvi...

garmin's is 80 bucks for life of device....so does this mean when you get another device, u have to pay another 80 to use garmin on it ?
I was told that I had 12 months in which I could transfer it to a new phone. After that, I could no longer change it.

As for Nav4All, it's really not comparable to the Garmin. I couldn't even get it to give complete voice directions. Same for Amaze. Garmin Mobile is the only one that works on my 8330, although as I said in a previous post the voice directions are sometimes inconsistent with the visuals. Telmap is another good choice, although I have a slight problem with voice directions being incomplete in that it doesn't say street names even though I have it checked in the Settings box.
Closed Thread