BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
davehodgkinson

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Unhappy BB Desktop Manager for local sync only?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I've just got a Pearl 8100 through my company, and for reasons I won't bore you with here, it won't be getting any BES or BIS service for the forseeable future, its literally just being used a phone, plus any local synchronisation that can be done to my laptop.

Using the Desktop Manager software v4.3 (has to be this as I'm using Lotus Notes 8) I've managed to get it to sync my contacts, tasks and calendar, and so far that is working well. However I have three issues...
  1. I selected the BES installation option as its the closest to what I need, but desktop manager starts it tries to connect to my BES and asks for server address, details, etc - obviously there are none, I just want it to synchronise locally - can I stop this from appearing?
  2. I selected the option for desktop manager to both start automatically when Windows starts. I would happy for desktop manager to load in the system tray or as a service, but it opens in the middle of my screen, pops up the connection prompts as per my previous point, and then I only seem to be able to minimise it to my taskbar - an unwelcome presence. Can it run 'in the background'?
  3. Finally I selected the option for it to syncrhonise automatically whenever the blackberry is connected, but even if I have the desktop manager software running, it doesn't synchronise and I have to do it manually. Plus it requests that I accept and reject all changes - surely the synchronisation priority I have set should take of such decisions?

Would appreciate any support you are able to offer.

Many thanks,
Dave
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

1. You should not have installed using the BES option. Since you don't have a BES account, you should uninstall DM completely, and then reinstall using the BIS option.
This is effectively a "stand-alone" installation without the need for DM to connect to a server.

2. No, it cannot run in the background. The connection prompts are due to the installation being a BES install. m Once you remove and reinstall with BIS option, you won't get prompted to connect to a BES.

3. DM is acting as designed. It doesn't work like Activesync or Palm Hotsync.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-02-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
davehodgkinson

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Smile

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply - I have now selected BIS instead and it no longer prompts for passwords, etc - and works as I wanted. In fact, the only thing that your post didn't fix was running in the background/minimising to tray - and I accept that this is not feature because this isn't what the Desktop Manager software is designed for.

But for anyone who is interested, I did manage to find a workaround using a piece of free software called TrayIt which allows you to minimise any piece of software to the tray (or even completely run in background with not even a tray icon if you wish). The link is as follows...

TrayIt

Effectively this means I now have desktop manager running in the background, and whenever I plug in my background, it automatically synchronises, and then disappears again - perfect for my needs.

Thanks for your advice, it was invaluable.
Closed Thread