Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
cluelessindc

Model: style
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default BBM/PIN...help!

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I am very new to this and not sure I understand how it works. What is the difference between these two terms..BBM and PIN?

Also, I have a friend on my Facebook, he goes to my school. He asks all day long for people to message him and he has his PIN there. If I do send him a message, will he know who I am? He will get my PIN, or will he only see the username I have set up? Not that I don't want him to know it's me, but at first, I don't, until I've talked to him a while and see if he's worth it.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Re: BBM/PIN...help!

1) BBM is short for BlackBerry Messenger which is a chat type interface unique to BlackBerry's

2)PIN is a unique hexidecimal number that is hardcoded into each BB

The PIN is used to operate BBM though I think email can be used but not recommended (I've never had much succes with it)

So in order for you to be able to BBM you friend you need to add him via pin#. You can set up BBM with a unique name or you own actual name. When the receive request via BBM it will say something like "Ezrunner has requested to be added to your BBM" do you accept. You have option of yes or no

So he doesn't have to know it is you and of course you can always delete said contact at any time
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessindc View Post
Also, I have a friend on my Facebook, he goes to my school. He asks all day long for people to message him and he has his PIN there. If I do send him a message, will he know who I am? He will get my PIN, or will he only see the username I have set up?
You can't randomly send people BBM's. They have to first accept your invite before you're allowed to message them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessindc View Post
Not that I don't want him to know it's me, but at first, I don't, until I've talked to him a while and see if he's worth it.
really?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

BBM is carried via PIN to PIN messaging, so if you add him as a contact on BBM he will get your pin, and if he knows enough about how a BlackBerry works, he could start sending you PIN to PIN messages out side of BBM.

But ezrunner is correct, the only association between you PIN number and your identity is the one you make yourself. However, since the only way you can change your PIN number is by changing your BlackBerry I suggest a little caution. If you are already friends on FB, why not get to know him there before deciding if you want to make him a BBM contact, or exchange PINs.