Man that would make things too easy

Math would be entirley to easy

I so wish the USA would
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Simple reason, there are far too many stupid people that would have a mental melt down if we suddenly switched. Just watch what happens in Feb when analog TV is shut down. I can almost guarantee there are tens of thousands who not only haven't heard about this, but don't even know what analog means. They'll just know that they can't watch Judge Judy in their double wides.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Simple reason, there are far too many stupid people that would have a mental melt down if we suddenly switched. Just watch what happens in Feb when analog TV is shut down. I can almost guarantee there are tens of thousands who not only haven't heard about this, but don't even know what analog means. They'll just know that they can't watch Judge Judy in their double wides.
True. Although, Canada survived the switch though, so I think we could too.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

dc/dc,
What country is that flag from?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

The biggest problem with the metric system is that the default units of measurement are not 'human scale'. The English system of units, while confusing as hell to convert between, were invented by craftsmen, sailors, bakers, etc. and all represent sizes that are easy for a human to relate to. For instance, I'm 6'4 (tall boy), which is 193 centimeters! Not easy to imagine 193 units easily, is it? Ok, let's go with the decimeter - which is 1/10 of a meter - now we can say I'm 19.3 decimeters tall... still not easy to reference unless you have a point of reference of similar size. Six feet, however, is easy to conceptualize, even if all you have is a foot-long ruler in front of you - it's easy to imagine six of them stacked end-to-end.

Same with temperature. Centigrade units are very large. 50 degrees Fahrenheit = 10 degrees centigrade, 55 degrees Fahrenheit = 12.7 degrees Centigrade... an increase by even two or three degrees Fahrenheit can be easily felt by a human, but the centigrade units are too large and not accurate enough do accurate describe changes in temperature in everyday conversation without resorting to decimal points.

I'm all for the idea of metric - easy conversions of units - I just think the units suck!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit

SpectreBlofeld, maybe you just need more practise. 1.93 metres is easy to visualise.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
SpectreBlofeld

Well, you can look at it as 'just under two meters' I suppose. But there's a reason why we don't use the yard to describe human height, which is the closest english unit to the meter. It's just not precise enough for most human-scale situations.

In american football, on the other hand...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

I'm sorry, but I disagree again. I know what 2 metres is. I know what 7cm is. Therefore I can easily know what 193cm is.

The reasons that we do not use yards for height and so on and so forth is as much steeped in tradition as logic.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
SpectreBlofeld

Don't take my word for it, others have expressed the same: Metrication controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Some people will always complain, particularly when they are used to another system.
I grew up learning metric in school, and it annoys me that we still have to use miles in the UK as people aged 40+ have no clue what a KM is. To me, I know a km, I run them. I have no idea what a mile is, so by and large, I ignore distances on UK signs.

Pick a system, stick to it, and accept that you need to allow several decades for transition between if you have changed systems. Believe me, people who have schooled exclusively with metric units have no problem knowing how heavy a kilogram is, or how long 1.93 metres is, etc.

Take my grandma - still struggles with metric money. She grew up with Farthing · Halfpenny · Penny · Threepence · Sixpence · One shilling · Two shillings · Half crown · Crown · Guinea, etc. All of those have different bases. She can cross multiply ridiculous numbers in "old money" but struggles with 100p in the pound. She honestly thinks that it was "easier" when the pound was made up of 240 "old pence", with twelve old pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound.

People accept all sorts of measurements because they are used to them, it is all just perception. Spend long enough using metric weights and measures, and it will no longer be an annoyance/confusion.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
dc/dc,
What country is that flag from?
It is an iteration of the flag of Iraq.

Last edited by dc/dc; 01-12-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

My favorite part about chemistry courses was using parts of the metric system. So much easier for me to wrap my brain around - how could you go wrong with dividing something by 10 instead of say, 12? Then again, math has never been my area of expertise, either.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreBlofeld View Post
Same with temperature. Centigrade units are very large. 50 degrees Fahrenheit = 10 degrees centigrade, 55 degrees Fahrenheit = 12.7 degrees Centigrade... an increase by even two or three degrees Fahrenheit can be easily felt by a human, but the centigrade units are too large and not accurate enough do accurate describe changes in temperature in everyday conversation without resorting to decimal points.
Yeah, because you can really tell the difference betwen 50 and 51 degrees F.

Seems that most of the rest of the world, and the entire scientific world has no problem with metric.

At least you know what the unit of measure is. Say I tell you you need 5 ounces of X. Am I talking about weight or volume? US or Imperial?

It takes time. I'm of the generation tht learned both in school. I can convert with ease. My kids only know Metric. They understand feet and pounds, but not the other usits quite as much. Telling my kids that it's 70 degrees outside won't have as much of an impact as telling them it's 21.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

I do a lot of business in countries that use the metric system, I find it to be a much simpler system, and I hate the fact that we are basically the last country in the world to be using the Imperial system.

Oh yeah, we also need more roundabouts!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Yes, yes you do! Roundabouts are brilliant.

I hope you don't get them though. I love watching US drivers navigating roundabouts.
I love watching US drivers on most English roads, actually. There is always confusion why the roads are so "bendy" for no reason, but a lot of the infrastructure here dates back thousands of years (they were dirt roads pre-Roman times) - in those days, it was easier to go round the tree than move the tree and build a straight road.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Why can't America just switch already?
amen to that. Just switch already.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
SpectreBlofeld

Quote:
Oh yeah, we also need more roundabouts!
As long as it's not like this one:

I have no problem with how the metric system works. I just wish it used different units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine
My favorite part about chemistry courses was using parts of the metric system. So much easier for me to wrap my brain around - how could you go wrong with dividing something by 10 instead of say, 12? Then again, math has never been my area of expertise, either.
There are situations in which systems other than base-10 are more useful; that's why metric time never took off, for instance. Base 60 for time is much more practical on an everyday basis:

Quote:
The number 60 has twelve factors, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30, 60, of which 2, 3, and 5 are prime. With so many factors, many fractions of sexagesimal numbers are simple. For example, an hour can be divided evenly into segments of 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, etc. 60 is the smallest number divisible by every number from 1 to 6.
(from Sexagesimal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
Yes, yes you do! Roundabouts are brilliant.

I hope you don't get them though. I love watching US drivers navigating roundabouts.
I love watching US drivers on most English roads, actually. There is always confusion why the roads are so "bendy" for no reason, but a lot of the infrastructure here dates back thousands of years (they were dirt roads pre-Roman times) - in those days, it was easier to go round the tree than move the tree and build a straight road.
Yes, there are two very close to me. One is at the entrance to my apartment complex, and the other is about 2 km away. You have no idea how many times I've almost been wrecked by idiots going through the roundabout incorrectly at my complex, who then get belligerent when you call them out. It pisses me off to no end. The other one is much bigger, so it isn't quite as bad, but it still happens.

Here's the one at my apartment:

dc/dc = red, idiots = blue

Anyway that's a bit off-topic, but sort of on since my biggest frustration with the imperial system is on the roads. It makes so much more sense to say that an exit from the motorway is 500 m ahead instead of 1/3 mi.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
It is an iteration of the flag of Iraq.
Thank you.

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread