BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Anyone supporting BIS clients on GroupWise as well as BES?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm working with a client who's running BES and GroupWise at the moment, and part of my project is doing a feasibility on using new types of BBs in their environment for internal and external personnel (they're currently using the old 6500 models). One angle we're pursuing is how to provide as much access as possible to external consultants without having to set up BES on their devices to avoid admin headaches, as a few of us have seen how well that can work with Outlook Web Access on Exchange-based systems.

I was just wondering if anyone had any "best practices" or good ideas for delivering BES-like email, calendar and contact services to external partners via BIS from GroupWise? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful, thanks much!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
jaltig
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel

We ran BIS with Groupwise prior to setting up BES. We had no problems with it but the only thing BIS will sync is email - they will have to sync calendar etc. using desktop manager if you don't want them on the BES.

Personally from someone who has supported both, BES is the way to go.

jim
Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
mavsx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

hey hows it going?

I currently run a BES with Groupwise, 6.5.4

we have been using the 7290 for years with it. And within the past 6 months we have replaced about 10 of our 50 7290's with a few 8800's, 8300 curve, and 8700s. We bought all the different models to test them out to see which one we will go with for a more permanent thing. We have decided on the 8800. That handheld is great.

As far as a BIS, i support another company that only had 4 users with a BIS and a hosted pop account solution. It was garbage, that was technology that was 10 years past its prime. We just switched them over about a month ago to a hosted exchange server from usa.net (they are awesome, by the way), and a hosted BES, through them.

hope all that helps.
Closed Thread