Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
RKDTOO

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Closed non-Core Apps consume Memory

Please Login to Remove!

Similar questions/issues are posted all over the web going back years; however I have yet to find a satisfying solution (or even explanation as to why) to the problem the way I see it. My current device is 9900 OS7. I have several non-Core applications that have been closed and are not shown in the App Switch Ribbon when holding the Menu key, meanwhile in the Memory(Now) tab of the Application Management they show as consuming memory; in particular certain module(s) of a given app is(are) shown as consuming memory.

First obvious question is - why (oh why) am I not able to Shutdown an application from the Application Management. In fact I am not able to do much from there other then Delete (uninstall) an app. Not much of a "Management" tool if you ask me. I understand that in many such cases developers themselves choose not to offer a graceful way of shutting down the application; often even forcing it to launch on device startup and stay running in the App Switch Ribbon. However in either case we (the users) should have the capability to override this intention of the developer, shouldn't we? And we should be able to do it without having to delete the application altogether; instead we want to chose when to run it and when to truly exit it.

Secondly, (and I am just wild guessing here) perhaps the answer to the main question could be that certain modules of a given closed app are engaged (shared) by other "truly" running apps. That would explain why a closed app would inadvertently show as consuming memory; but by looking through a few offending apps I didn't find evidence to my hypothesis. And even if so, it is easy enough to provide an option to exit the app with a warning that shared modules may be effected and prompting for some sort of a choice ... I mean sky's the limit - it's only a few extra conditional statements.

Can someone with in-depth knowledge of the Blackberry Device platform explain the logic of this behavior; and why it is necessary to restrict users from effectively "killing" a running application?

Last edited by RKDTOO; 08-31-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
RKDTOO

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Closed non-Core Apps consume Memory

I am pasting the original post bellow because it seems that the ad overlaps some of the post's text rendering it unreadable unless you highlight/select the text.
Quote:
First obvious question is - why (oh why) am I not able to Shutdown an application from the Application Management. In fact I am not able to do much from there other then Delete (uninstall) an app. Not much of a "Management" tool if you ask me. I understand that in many such cases developers themselves choose not to offer a graceful way of shutting down the application; often even forcing it to launch on device startup and stay running in the App Switch Ribbon. However in either case we (the users) should have the capability to override this intention of the developer, shouldn't we? And we should be able to do it without having to delete the application altogether; instead we want to chose when to run it and when to truly exit it.

Secondly, (and I am just wild guessing here) perhaps the answer to the main question could be that certain modules of a given closed app are engaged (shared) by other "truly" running apps. That would explain why a closed app would inadvertently show as consuming memory; but by looking through a few offending apps I didn't find evidence to my hypothesis. And even if so, it is easy enough to provide an option to exit the app with a warning that shared modules may be effected and prompting for some sort of a choice ... I mean sky's the limit - it's only a few extra conditional statements.

Can someone with in-depth knowledge of the Blackberry Device platform explain the logic of this behavior; and why it is necessary to restrict users from effectively "killing" a running application?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Perhaps you may find an answer on the official RIM support web site - General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Some applications have data bases associated with them and will continue to take up memory for those data bases even when not running.
Closed Thread