Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Unable to install GroupWise 6.5 SP6 Client

Please Login to Remove!

HELP!

We did a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 on our development server. Installed GroupWise 6.5 SP6 Client Update 1 w/latest FTF file. It complained the Windows Messaging component was missing but would install it. FINE, clicked on next and it installed it and then bombed saying packing.lst file was missing and I couldn't proceed.

We tested the same scenario on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 box so we believe it's related to the SP2, which is not officially recommended by RIM yet.

Logged a support ticket with Novell and it seems they ran into the same problem in their lab environment. RIM T-Support is baffled as this is something they regularly recommend to their clients to install without a hitch. They really can't help either because this is officially a Novell product I am attempting to install.

Do you guys think it has to do with the fact that we overspec'd our box? that we shouldn't attempt to install the GroupWise 6.5 SP6 Update 1 client on SP2 and instead we should install it on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 environment instead?

Quite frustrating!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
dropscience

A list of Novell KB articles which don't help!

NOVELL: Search Results

Woohoo!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
goresci
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Vodafone UK

if you got win2k3 use that instead, worked a treat for me, touch wood
GroupWise
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
dropscience

We are on Windows Server 2003. I just downgraded it to SP1 but I don't think that was the root of the problems.

I finally got it to work with reference to Novell's instructions as opposed to RIM's guidelines for GroupWise client installation. According to RIM, they instruct installation to be comprised of the following steps:

1) Download and extract contents of GroupWise 6.5 SP6 Client Update 1 into it's own separate folder.
2) Download and extract conents of GroupWise 6.5 rev4 FTF into it's own separate folder.
3) Copy contents of FTF folder from step 2 into folder from step 1 and overwrite any files prompted.
4) Run setup.exe from /win32 directory of the Client folder and it will install the Novell GroupWise 6.5 SP6 client.

Well, that obviously didn't work.

Check with Novell's documentation and they simply ask for users to only copy the /win32 from the FTF folder to the /win32 directory of the client folder. Now THAT worked.

I even verified by running the GroupWise 6.5 SP6 Client and clicking Help/About and it confirms the version correctly: GroupWise 6.5 SP7 - Nov 11, 2006. Only difference I have noted is that the client folder using Novell's method seems to be short a few files.

Anyone ever run into something like this?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

The FTF is a full install. Just run setup from the win32 directory. It may ask for a reboot. After the reboot, the install continues by registering the DLLs. You need to login as the same user after the reboot.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
hparsons

Model: Pearl
Default Data Protection?

Not sure if this cover's the problem you guys have detailed, but I ran into a similar situation.

I installed RIM's recommended version of 6.5 on the server we're installing BES on. When I tried to run the client, the opening window would come up, but then go away and no program.

I tried several things, and no go. Decided it might be a problem with the 6.5 client (we run 7), and installed what all our users have on their system. Same problem.

So, I uninstalled everything on the system and deleted all of the BES and GroupWise folders. When I rebooted, a message came up that said there was a problem running grpwise.exe - interesting, since it was no longer installed or on the system. I suspect it was a "left over" alert from when I tried to run the program right before I uninstalled everything.

So, just to be safe, I rebooted again, and installed 6.5 with the mods RIM recommended. Same problem.

However, THIS time when I rebooted, I got a Microsoft Data Protection Manager message on grpwise.exe as an exception, and the client ran fine.

I believe that DPM is an add-on with R2, and I suspect this was the culprit.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschieman View Post
The FTF is a full install. Just run setup from the win32 directory. It may ask for a reboot. After the reboot, the install continues by registering the DLLs. You need to login as the same user after the reboot.
The FTF is a full install but it won't work if you don't install it correctly.
Closed Thread