Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Xion901
No longer Registered.

Model: XXXXi
Carrier: A Good One
Default What is 4G? Confused? Myth?

Please Login to Remove!

I here a lot of 4G flying around these days, I came across this article, to me it makes sense,

READ IT FOR YOURSELF

SHARE YOUR VIEWS

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010

4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: What is 4G? Confused? Myth?

... and Verizon's current "3G" network is actually about "2.5G" when compared to Tmobile's.

It's all terminology based on the public's perception of 3G, 4G etc., and needing to call it something that is at least generic enough for consumers to grasp.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Marketing hype. Everyone says the same thing so the consumer cannot differentiate fact from fiction or hype.

Consumers need to pick the carrier that has the best service where they need it - where they live, work, travel, play, etc. IMHO, speed using a handheld isn't a real big deal, but I suppose if you stream video, then it might be.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Wuzzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Find coverage that at least allows you to TALK, then worry about all the data and texting add-ons. If you can't call grandma on the service, then it just ain't worth it.
8100 - 4.5.0.188-out of retirement? lol
Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP

Is/can CDMA really be 3G if it can't send and receive data at same time as voice?

Speed has become important to me when downloading podcasts, and I find myself more and more not wanting to wait until I have wifi. It will also be important to me when one day--I hope--I'm tethering a new Playbook. I've gone from being happy with EDGE to wanting more, more, more.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Is/can CDMA really be 3G if it can't send and receive data at same time as voice?
Your question can't be answered because it doesn't make sense.
Simultaneous Voice/Data is not what determines whether something is "3G" or not.

3G is a moniker. It doesn't dictate any particular set of features. There's no 3G specification.
It's just a marketing term.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP

Maybe my mistake. Somewhere in reading I gathered the standard that has been recognized as the "3G" standard --popularly labeled maybe--does require it (data and voice at same time). I'll have to admit bad memory and don't know. But I take your point that "3G" is a moniker.

EDIT: Popular sources cite ITM-2000 as the "3G" standard. It appears ITU referred to it as the 3G, or third generation, standard as well.

http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press_releases/2010/11.html

Quote:
Press Release
International Telecommunication Union
For immediate release Telephone: +41 22 730 6039
Telefax: +41 22 730 5933
E-mail: pressinfo

New ITU standards to boost IMT-2000 (3G) mobile phone capabilities
Satellite interface enhances international roaming, high-speed data transfers, compatibility
Geneva, 8 March 2010 — A new ITU standard has been approved that will ensure worldwide compatibility, international roaming, and access to high-speed data services for third-generation (3G) IMT-2000 mobile phone systems. Recommendation ITU-R M.1850 identifies satellite radio interface specifications for IMT-2000 systems, which, by means of one or more radio links, provide access to a wide range of telecommunication services.

ITU Secretary-General Hamadoun Touré praised the timely endeavour of the ITU membership, including government and industry experts in developing these new standards. He noted that these advances will facilitate ITU’s concerted effort to promote broadband access in rural and remote areas around the world.

Updates and enhancements to the satellite radio interfaces incorporated in the M.1850 Recommendation are compatible with the original goals and objectives of IMT-2000 while acknowledging the changing requirements of the global marketplace.

Even as the satellite component of IMT-2000 continues to evolve independently, work is already in progress to develop the satellite radio interfaces for IMT-Advanced. IMT-Advanced provides a global platform on which to build the next-generations of interactive mobile services that will provide faster data access, unified messaging and broadband multimedia.

The satellite component of IMT-Advanced will be designed to cope with increasing demands from the rising number of users in terms of peak bit rate and aggregate throughput and will have greater flexibility to simultaneously support many different types of services.

For more information, please contact:

Sanjay Acharya
Chief, Media Relations and Public Information
ITU
Tel: +41 22 730 5046
Mobile: +41 79 249 4861
E-mail: sanjay.acharyaitu.int Grace De Angelis-Petrin
Communications Officer
ITU Radiocommunication Bureau
Tel: +41 22 730 5810
E-mail: grace.deangelis-petrinitu.int
But so far in reading summaries I do not see that simultaneous voice and data is a requirement/feature of the standard.

Here is ITU summary of features:

Quote:
... a high degree of commonality of functionality worldwide while retaining the flexibility to support a wide range of services and applications in a cost efficient manner; compatibility of services within IMT and with fixed networks; capability of interworking with other radio access systems; high quality mobile services; user equipment suitable for worldwide use; user-friendly applications, services and equipment;
worldwide roaming capability; and,
enhanced peak data rates to support advanced services and applications (100 Mbit/s for high and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility were established as targets for research)*.
These features enable IMT-Advanced to address evolving user needs and the capabilities of IMT-Advanced systems are being continuously enhanced in line with user trends and technology developments.
* Data rates sourced from Recommendation ITU-R M.1645 - ´Framework and overall objectives of the future development of IMT-2000 and systems beyond IMT-2000´.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-02-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I am 4G.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Also, looks like no one will be calling their networks as HSPA/HSDPA+ etc because its lot easy for them to call it 4G. I agree, its still hype and all I care is call and net at the same time and whatever speed it needs to be.
My ATT line says its 3.5 G and my TMO says 3G or none (4G?) here in Phoenix metro.

I think some company in Canada implemeted HSPA 21.x speed which is twice the speed of regular HSPA and it says that they implements two channels of HSPA.. I will have to try to see the diff otherwise its still a media stunt
Closed Thread