Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
spikegifted

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Compuserve (csi.com) error

Please Login to Remove!

Folks, I've a problem.

I've been using my compuserve.com e-mail since 1994 and they've just migrated my e-mail to csi.com. While my new e-mail address still has domain name @compuserve.com, the pop3 server has been changed to pop.csi.com.

This migration took place on Monday (May 18, 2009) and since that day, I haven't been able to receive e-mails from my compuserve.com mailbox. I've deleted and setup my e-mail at least half dozen times and I keep getting error messages.

Here's what happens:
- I setup a new e-mail account by typing in my e-mail address and password.
- It tells me that I've successfully configure access to [email address]
- I go to the 'Advanced Settings' to amend the pop3 server to 'pop.csi.com'.
- It tells me that 'An error occurred during email account validation. Please check your information and try again."
- I get a notification from 'Activation Server', informing me that 'If I use an e-mail client (e.g. MS Outlook, Mozilla, Thunderbird, etc.) to access your [email address] messages. , change your email client settings to leave your email messages on the server. If the email client does not leave email messages on the server, the BlackBerry(R) Internet Service may not be able to deliver them to your BlackBerry(R) device.'

I've spoken to my cellphone provider (Orange UK) and they're telling me that it's not their problem.

I've spoken to Compuserve and they say it's not their problem.

I went back to talk to my cellphone provider and they say it's some kind of mapping problem between RIM and Compuserve.

IS there anyone who is experiencing a problem like this? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

just delete the account and add it back, if it detect the connection then you don't need to change any settings on the pop server. You will just need to add that manually if the blackberry can't find the correct server
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
spikegifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmach View Post
just delete the account and add it back, if it detect the connection then you don't need to change any settings on the pop server. You will just need to add that manually if the blackberry can't find the correct server
Thanks for that, but I've deleted and recreated the account at least half dozen time and I'm still having the same problem. Groundhog day....
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
jjmach

Carrier: Sprint

are you using your new e-mail address to configure it? or [email address]?
Are you able to configure that e-mail at your PC using a pop client?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
spikegifted

Previously, my compuserve e-mail was 1?????.????@compuserve.com. Since Monday, it has been changed to ab?_xyz@compuserve.com. However, the pop3 server address has been changed from pop.compuserve.com to pop.csi.com. I'm configuring Blackbery using the new e-mail address (ab?_xyz@compuserve.com).

At home, I just MS Outlook 2003 as e-mail client and I manage to configure the new setup first time without any problems.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
breakerfall

Model: 9530
PIN: EAPPLE!
Carrier: VZW

your provider should be able to get you on the line with RIM support (especially if your provider's support thinks it's a RIM problem)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
czarnik

Model: 8100
Carrier: Optus (Australia)
Smile

spikegifted, et al.

I've just got off the phone with the BB support people and part of the problem appears to be that when you change or add the account you can't modify all the fields that you would like to.

Essentially the problem lies in both camps. BB add / change account won't let you change certiain aspects of the e-mail account you want to interface with the BB. If I set up one what it is IMAP account (and it needs to be a POP a/c). Another way does not allow change to the username.

On the CS side, it would appear they have not fully transfered the DNS for the POP server. The BB automatic aspects of setting up an account assume (in the case of CS) pop.compuserve.com and in fact that IS a valid (and current) POP server for CS. Problem is that the NEW mail system requires pop.csi.com. It's my personal (read not mentioned by BB support) feeling that the necessary DNS changes won't be complete until 30 June (otherwise why don't they work now!)

I"ll be calling CS support again when it opens in a few hours to see how they can progress this.

BTW I have successfully updated Outlook to send / receive the new CS e-mail (some interesting aspects needed to be changed) and also for the new CS e-mail to be received by my Gmail account.

Regards,
Larry
2009MY21 20:40 Sydney, 06:40 US EDT
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
spikegifted

czarnik: Thanks for the run around!

In the mean time, I went back to my mobile service provider. The support service folks came up with a solution which appears to be working:

- Delete existing @compuserve.com e-mail account on BB
- Add An Existing Email Account - input e-mail address, but ** enter an incorrect password **
- Choose to manually setup the account details
- Filling the rest of the details, e.g. e-mail server being pop.csi.com

Once validated, BB should be able to pick up the @compuserve.com e-mails.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
czarnik

Smile

Sorry. Should have mentioned. That. Except in my case it changing the pop.compuserve.com to pop.csi.com does not allow the account to validate! Outstanding call to CS and I'm not supposed to be able to find out status for another 24 hours.

Is your account under BB say it is a POP account? One time I tried to add the account (using pop.csi.com) and it came up as an IMAP account.

Regards,
Larry
2009MY22 08:00 Sydney, MY21 18:00 US EDT
Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
spikegifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnik View Post
Is your account under BB say it is a POP account? One time I tried to add the account (using pop.csi.com) and it came up as an IMAP account.
G'day, mate. In my case, my account comes up as POP3. I was thinking of using IMAP as the e-mail from Compuserve said it can be access using this protocol also, but in the end it accepted pop.csi.com as POP3.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
czarnik

Smile

spikegifted,

Are you receiving emails on BB OK? I have an icon but am not receiving and can't send.

I've just tried to change again from pop.compuserve.com to pop.csi.com and it won't validate.

So delete and again add, using pop.csi.com and it validates and I have both icon and incoming e-mail message - YIPEE! BUT, I can't e-mail out.

Ok, so let's look at this another way. How do I fix the BB side so it works. Current email setting on my BB itself says that the message service is @...blacberry.net. I changed it to teh @compuserve. address and it worked.

So, does anybody have any pros / cons about IMAP over POP? If not, then heck, I'll just let it work!

Look forward to any and all opinions.

Regards,
Larry
2009MY22 16:10 Sydney, 02:10 US EDST
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
spikegifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnik View Post
Are you receiving emails on BB OK? I have an icon but am not receiving and can't send.
Hi Larry, I'm receiving my mails just fine. The following was what I did:
- Delete the compuserve.com e-mail account in BB
- Setup a new entry - enter your e-mail address and ENTER AN INCORRECT PASSWORD
- It came back and told me: "We were unable to configure abc?@compuserve.com. Choose one of the following options and select Next."
- Select "I will provide the settings to add this email account."
- Select "This is my personal email account."
- On the "Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)" page, select "I will provide the settings to add this email account."
- Now you can enter all the details, like e-mail server being pop.csi.com.

Then, it should all flow through... ;)
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikegifted View Post
Hi Larry, I'm receiving my mails just fine. The following was what I did:
- Delete the compuserve.com e-mail account in BB
- Setup a new entry - enter your e-mail address and ENTER AN INCORRECT PASSWORD
- It came back and told me: "We were unable to configure abc?@compuserve.com. Choose one of the following options and select Next."
- Select "I will provide the settings to add this email account."
- Select "This is my personal email account."
- On the "Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)" page, select "I will provide the settings to add this email account."
- Now you can enter all the details, like e-mail server being pop.csi.com.

Then, it should all flow through... ;)
I, ahem, transferred yesterday. While I created a new cis account for my 8830 and got confirmation, I do not appear to be getting my email with my testing. As mentioned, I'm sure that Compuserve has both pop.compuserve.com and pop.csi.com active which may be confusing the heck out of servers and BB's????

Are you setting up the new cis account on the BB or using the computer-bis site (in my case verizon)?

What is interesting is that my relatively new computer (Nov 08) with Vista Home premium has been having trouble retrieving email since, well, Nov 08. With TheBat, I get online maybe once a week, otherwise it would just timeout. (I went so far as to use gmail to retrieve cis email) Since changing yesterday to the pop.csi.com, I connect each time. So it is better on the desktop but BB is, so far, out in the cold.

Oh, I just tried Advanced Settings and it was imap. I changed the "address" to pop but it still says imap and has the wrong port.

Edited to update:

Well, I totally deleted my cis account and re-added as suggested, with wrong password, to manually setup the account. It allowed me to enter the pop.csi.com and I just got confirmation but still, when I go to Advanced Settings, it shows pop.csi.com but still shows imap. Is this okay?

I guess I will start throwing test messages at the account and see.........

Last edited by FF2; 05-22-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
spikegifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Well, I totally deleted my cis account and re-added as suggested, with wrong password, to manually setup the account. It allowed me to enter the pop.csi.com and I just got confirmation but still, when I go to Advanced Settings, it shows pop.csi.com but still shows imap. Is this okay?
Sorry folks, I was away for the long weekend.

That's strange that the account still shows up as IMAP. When I did mind, it just showed up as POP3.

AFAIK, IMAP should work just fine for you: I have both hotmail and yahoo!mail hooked up to my BB and they work just fine.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

It appears to be working. I'm still trying to figure out a few things. Suddenly, I am getting mail under:

[email address]

At least, it looks that way - who knows what spam might be generating.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
spikegifted

@FF2:

Does your csi.com e-mail work? E.g.: your_user_name@csi.com

After the transfer, I can receive e-mails addressed to both number.number@compuserve.com and your_user_name@compuserve.com, but not your_user_name@csi.com.

I thought the whole point of the migration is that e-mails of classic users will be handled by the Compuserve International/2000 servers...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

I posted a similar series of questions on the CIS CLASSIC forum (it still exists!!!) and here's the response:

(my questions are delimited by the **'s, followed by the sysop's replies)

** Are [numeric accounts] migrated automatically when my [email address] was migrated? Are they potentially migrateable (new word for a new world)?

For each "classic" CompuServe e-mail address with a "personal address", the numeric version migrates transparently when the you migrate the "personal address" version.

** I seem to suddenly be getting NEW SPAM addressed to [email address] whereas my Classic is [email address]. I thought those were two different enterprises. **

csi.com has (at least for a long time) been equivalent to compuserve.com.

---------------------------------------------------------

I did not realize that "csi.com" was equivalent to "compuserve.com" I thought that there was a difference (something like cis2000 or whatever) After all these years, I just got use to using the longer name.

So, it appears that there are THREE fully equal forms of our email addresses. NUMERIC, CSI.com and COMPUSERVE.com

What I'm finding right now is that my BB filters do not seem to be working properly. I have two FRIENDS's filters and that is all that should be getting to my BB. But spam with "non-friend" addresses are coming to it, as well as real email that I don't want forwarded to the BB. I will have to recheck the filters again.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #18
spikegifted

In case anyone is wondering: There is a problem with Compuserve mail! Since 11pm (BST) yesterday, I can't access my mail via POP3 nor via IMAP. This affects both access via mail clients (e.g. Outlook/Outlook Express) and BB, but not Compuserve webmail.

I've placed a call to the 1-800 helpline and was informed that they've observed a number similar calls and they recogize that it is a problem on the Compuserve side (oh, you kidding me, right?!). The helpline guy said it should be fixed in the next 24hrs... How long can you hold your breath??!!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #19
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

I'm having additional/new/whatever PROBLEMS.

There was a problem with pop3 mail over the weekend. But it appears to be fixed EXCEPT for the BB.

When I just checked my compuserve account, the pop.csi.com was now "pop.COMPUSERVE.com". If I change it back to csi, I get an error back when SAVING. And it changes automatically back to the longer "compuserve". When I save that, I get a success but it is not working.

So I don't know if it is compuserve or BB (rim) that has a problem. Or if this will continue to be a problem until the OLDER system is dead-and-done!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #20
spikegifted

Based on my limited conversation with Compuserve support, it would appear that the whole migration process should finish by the end of June. I'm guessing that until the migration is completed, some service will be switched to the imap./pop.csi.com. Once the migration is completed, both csi.com and compuserve.com would/should be one and the same.

Or am I getting it wrong...
Closed Thread