BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 AM   #21
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone know of a sync method that works without a bb data connection? Or any interpriter script that can translate the output of something like:

btool -d 'Memos' -d 'Tasks' -d 'Address Book' -d 'Calendar' -d 'Phone Call Logs' -d 'SMS Messages'

into a form that evolution or thunderbird and lightning supports?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #22
LinuxGeek

Model: 8100
Angry Not really a solution.

Sorry, but I had to pay good money for the Pearl and now I have to pay for a service to sync the stupid device??? All this because the folks at RIM are too lazy to get off their butts and do-the-right-thing? Yuck.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #23
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxGeek
Sorry, but I had to pay good money for the Pearl and now I have to pay for a service to sync the stupid device??? All this because the folks at RIM are too lazy to get off their butts and do-the-right-thing? Yuck.
Yeah I thought long and hard about this one, long and hard. Basically it mattered enough to me to have good SyncML support that I went ahead and bought the client, there's no other real choice to maintain SyncML compliance. Because I tend to switch phones a lot I don't put a lot of money into any single one, knowing it might be a short-loved device in my arsenal. I really like this Pearl a lot though, it's impressed me - so I bit the bullet.

Treo and Windows Mobile devices don't have a builtin client either, you have to go buy it as well; only Nokia and Motorolas seem to come with proper SyncML right in the firmware. Samsung supposedly does too, but I can't confirm that. Like everything else in Big Business, each entity wants you to use their proprietary solution (ActiveSync, IntelliSync, BES, etc.) - props to Nokia for going the open standards route.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #24
archer6

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxGeek

I have owned Treo's, Moto-Q & Blackjack before I switched to BlackBerrys. The BB is by far the best. None of these come with every conceivable sync conduit for every conceivable kind of calendar / device / os combination.

Since you say the device is "stupid" & " RIM are too lazy to get off their butts and do-the-right-thing? Yuck"

Perhaps you would be better off with a basic phone which would not cause you so much grief.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #25
HuwSy

I chose both linux and blackberry for the same reason, there gadgets with lots of options and different ways of being setup, some of which dont play to well with other things but anyway. Hopefully someone with imessurably more programming ability than myself can get the opensync plugin working, as its too near to the end of my contract to be worth adding a data service to it. Once I get my 8100 (or 8800 still undecided) then sync ml will be an option.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #26
BlackBlueberryBrew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Man this is so ridiculous. We all have RIM to thank for this.... (LOL) ... I guess a halfway decent solution is better than nothing, but on the other hand, do we reaaaaally want to send our personal data to some server in Sweden? If I can sync up to a server in Sweden, why can't I sync up to my PC that's sitting right in front of my grape... ??? (LOL) =^) Is this asking too much??? =^) But again, I'm glad that there is something out there for those of us who have left the Matrix.

I just wrote in the 8800 review thread that I love my BB, but I LOVE MY LINUX MORE!!! =^) As soon as someone develops a device that will play nice with my "x" boxes, I'M GONE!!! RIM makes a great device... no question about it, but like rivviepop, said, phones come, and phones go. I've been keeping an eye on the openmoko project. Check it out, if you haven't already, I think you will find it quite interesting.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBlueberryBrew
Man this is so ridiculous. We all have RIM to thank for this....
Thank RIM for what? I don't understand your statement; just because you use linux, it is not some god-given right your BB must be linux friendly. Open your eyes - this is big business, RIM is a publically traded company who does business with large players in the space (MS, Oracle, etc.). Money is as money does.

Quote:
I guess a halfway decent solution is better than nothing, but on the other hand, do we reaaaaally want to send our personal data to some server in Sweden?
Halfway decent? I consider it fully decent (and I don't mind Sweden -- their privacy laws are better than the USA, but I'm sure you already know that because you did extensive research before posting the above statement). SyncML is a *standard*, you are now complaining about *gasp* having to use an *open standard* for something.... on linux? What a tool. I guess you hate Samba. And Apache - you know, those other "halfway decent" networked apps using open standards. Oh the horror!

Quote:
If I can sync up to a server in Sweden, why can't I sync up to my PC that's sitting right in front of my grape... ??? (LOL) =^) Is this asking too much??? =^)
Man do you sound like a 13yo kid. Get off your a** and join the Barry project, write some code and get the barry-opensync plugin working. This is how linux works, but then again you already know all this.

Please quit tooling up a sticky thread with your inane drivel - you're increasing the noise-to-signal ratio.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
BlackBlueberryBrew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Thank RIM for what? I don't understand your statement; just because you use linux, it is not some god-given right your BB must be linux friendly. Open your eyes - this is big business, RIM is a publically traded company who does business with large players in the space (MS, Oracle, etc.). Money is as money does.
True. I don't have a G-d given right to have my BB Linux friendly, but don't you think that it would be nice just to be able to sync to your Linux box just like a Windows machine? I mean, how hard would it be to write a piece of code to do that? I guess there is just not enough noise being made for them to do that. Yes, it sucks.

Quote:
Halfway decent? I consider it fully decent (and I don't mind Sweden -- their privacy laws are better than the USA, but I'm sure you already know that because you did extensive research before posting the above statement). SyncML is a *standard*, you are now complaining about *gasp* having to use an *open standard* for something.... on linux? What a tool. I guess you hate Samba. And Apache - you know, those other "halfway decent" networked apps using open standards. Oh the horror!
You don't mind Sweden? They are as corrupt as the Day is long, Just like ALL OTHER governments on this blue ball we call earth!!! But hey, send away.... Heck, pack up and move there... By the way, I was not complaining about the SyncML standard. My point was the SERVER IN SWEDEN, NOT THE *STANDARD*.... or ANY SERVER for that matter!!!! HELLOOOOOOOOO???? How about actually reading my post before you fire off bonehead responses. When I said halfway decent, I was actually referring to other opensource apps/scripts/workarounds that I've seen for syncing data DIRECTLY TO "X" VIA USB. But I'll let you off the hook for that one because things have a tendency to get lost when posting/emailing etc...

Quote:
Man do you sound like a 13yo kid. Get off your a** and join the Barry project, write some code and get the barry-opensync plugin working. This is how linux works, but then again you already know all this.

Please quit tooling up a sticky thread with your inane drivel - you're increasing the noise-to-signal ratio.
You don't get off the hook on this one.... hee hee hee

1. Stop cursing. I'm sure your vocabulary is a little more extensive than that, but then again, I could be wrong.

2. I don't write code. I AM A USER, NOT A DEVELOPER!!! THANK G-D FOR OSS DEVELOPERS, CODE WRITERS, ETC..!!! I LOVE THEM, BUT I'M NOT ONE OF THEM!!! I USE THEIR WORK AND PROVIDE FEEDBACK TO HELP THEM MAKE IT BETTER!!!

3. Take a shower and cool off, and don't forget to wash your mouth out with some soap.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #29
HuwSy

Quote:
noise-to-signal ratio.
I like that.

As for the rest said in the last few posts by th both of you. "Calm down dear, its only a comercial" Regardless the day will come for bb sync under *nix variants. Until then if syncing is really that important then stick to the likes of palm, windows mobile or syncml based nokia and sony erricson who woula all manage a linux sync at no extra cost. But lack the niceties of a bb.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #30
LinuxGeek

Angry It aint rocket science

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I have owned Treo's, Moto-Q & Blackjack before I switched to BlackBerrys. The BB is by far the best. None of these come with every conceivable sync conduit for every conceivable kind of calendar / device / os combination.
Well, it's not the best for me. I'm funny that way, I want to have a PIM/phone that works with my operating system. Linux support, BTW, is not rocket science and it's not expensive. All RIM has to do is share interface information with the OSS community and we'll do the rest.

Quote:
Since you say the device is "stupid" & " RIM are too lazy to get off their butts and do-the-right-thing? Yuck"

Perhaps you would be better off with a basic phone which would not cause you so much grief.
The device *is* stupid, it won't talk to my Linux boxes. I think I said that pretty clearly in my original post. And RIM *is* a pathetic company if it can't give the Linux/OSS community enough information so they can develop their own support. I mean, how hard is that?!?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #31
HuwSy

Quote:
All RIM has to do is share interface information with the OSS community and we'll do the rest....

...And RIM *is* a pathetic company if it can't give the Linux/OSS community enough information so they can develop their own support. I mean, how hard is that?!?
Then they wouldnt have such a secure device if they reveal how some of its communication protocols work surely.

Its getting there tho. I mean how many years after palm released devices was it before there was linux conduits made by reverse engineering, as palm never made them.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #32
LinuxGeek

Angry Security by obscurity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
Then they wouldn't have such a secure device if they reveal how some of its communication protocols work surely.
Do you really think they're relying on security-by-obscurity? I hope not, because that wouldn't say much for the quality of their code.

Quote:
Its getting there tho. I mean how many years after palm released devices was it before there was linux conduits made by reverse engineering, as palm never made them.
Sorry, I don't really care about RIM (as a company) or about what Palm has done. I just want the device - I payed for - to work with my Linux boxen. At present, the Pearl seems a victim of the "Vindows uber alles" mindset. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #33
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Bashing RIM won't solve the issue.... The bottom line is that Linux /Unix users are stuck for the time being with what we have. You have Barry or SynceJe as options at this time. Except them or move along....

I hope RIM will get with the Linux movement, but to be honest, Linux is still a far way from being used by the masses. The majority of people who try Linux / Unix have wireless issues, sound issues, printer issues, ect.... Yes these are all easily solved with a little elbow grease but the majority of users do not want to learn linux and the majority do not want to have to set anything up! They want to plug the PC in, boot and work.....

Until the Linux / Unix issues are resolved and the masses accept it, RIM won't do anything about us 'odd ball' users.... My .02 on the matter...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #34
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
A new SyncJe 2.10 has been released
2.11 is out now... I just upgraded...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #35
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
2.11 is out now... I just upgraded...
Oh nice, thanks! *grabs phone*

EDIT: awww, no Memo sync yet. I got all excited for nothing...

Last edited by rivviepop; 03-12-2007 at 08:10 PM..
Old 03-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

LOL.... Sorry
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 AM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

2.22 is out! Working like a champ on my 8800....

No memo sync yet rivviepop.....
Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #38
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
2.22 is out! Working like a champ on my 8800....

No memo sync yet rivviepop.....
Yeah man, I am soooo anxiously awaiting it! I upgraded to 2.20 and noticed that even though a successful sync happened, it wasn't listed in the logfiles (e.g. I added new Sharks playoff games in Mobical, they sunc (synced?) to the BB, but log said '0'). I think they fixed this in 2.22, but I haven't had new data to verify yet.

I started using my memopad recently to store book authors and titles - I always seem to be in a book store and they have books 2 and 3 of a trilogy, but never 1! So keeping a list on my phone helps me to know which ones to buy in order so I don't read a series out of order and screw up the experience. I can't wait to get this sync'd up to Mobical so I don't lose my data... (right now I'm doing a select all & email to my gmail for safe keeping every once in awhile)
Old 04-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #39
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

I am listing in logs so it might be fixed for you as well... Ya I use memo pad for a bunch of work stuff and it would be awesome to sync them....
Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #40
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
I am listing in logs so it might be fixed for you as well... Ya I use memo pad for a bunch of work stuff and it would be awesome to sync them....
I emailed Lars just inquiring as to when Memo would be out, and part of what he replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Dellblad
...the problem was bigger than expected because we need to maintain two different versions since the notes API is only supported in OS 4.2.
It makes sense this is what's holding up the deployment -- they probably have a large 4.1 customer base. I'm guessing they'll have to start releasing two builds once Memo support makes it in the code...