BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Default Should I switch from BIS to BES?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. I've been pouring through threads all day, relating to setting up a BES. After all this reading, I still don't know if I need to.

Basically, I run my own domain. I have an Exchange server which handles the mail for my family. Out of the entire family, I'm the only one who has a Blackberry.

BIS is ok, but access to my mailbox is severely limited. I have a highly organized mailbox that I simply cannot access using my 8100c. I can only see items in my "Inbox".

I was told I could setup a BES on my Exchange server and have full access to my mail with realtime synchronization, as opposed to not having a truly synchronized mailbox on my BB. So I used the link to the Express version Blackberry Enterprise Server and installed it on my Exchange 2003 server. I cannot get it to work. After all the heartburn, I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth it!

I have a few questions:

1) Can I have access to my personal Exchange server w/o losing my internet connection through Cingular/AT&T?

2) If so, do I still need to install MDS?

3) If I don't install MDS, will my other online apps work (in particular, Blackberry Messenger)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I would make sure you have 2 GB RAM. I have the same scenario at home and we run BES on our windows 2003 DC with Exchange 2003 on it as well. It also functions as a file server. And we run it on workstation grade hardware!

You will get full mailbox functionality - its very cool. no need to install the MDS services. It automatically installs an MDS service that gives you access to your intranet, but you don't need the part for developing apps. Basically, just say no to MDS on install. All of your BB apps will work just like they do now. Being on BES is only as restrictive as your administrator - and in this case, that's you.

You need to follow the directions to the letter. Since its already an exchange box, there is no need to install ESM tools, but you need to:

1. create the BB service account with a mailbox
2. assign the send as permissions and other required permissions in the install guide.
3. log in as BBadmin account and install BESX - it will install MSDE and create the DB.

If you did not follow the directions correctly, uninstall and start over.
BES 4.1
Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I meet/exceed all the requirements, and the Exchange server has maybe 10 users, 3-4 who use it every day.

I followed your steps and it helped alot. I was able to get the database setup using my existing SQL install for Veritas Backup Exec. The install program found it and created the BB database w/o issue.

Now, I'm having a problem with activation. I can't active wirelessly, or via USB.

Via USB, I can add the user account in Blackberry Manager from Active Directory, and it'll say "Initializing". From there, I plug in the Blackberry into USB and enter the password for my handheld. I then right-click the user in BB Manager and hit "assign device". It finds the USB connection and the PIN matches, but when I hit "ok", I get a message saying:

"The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent. It can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned."

As indicated in this thread, I'm beginning to think it's a permissions issue. However, I've read, and re-read that darn Blackberry Enterprise Server Install Guide and followed it as best as I could. I'll frequently get to a step, but that actions you need to take are unclear. I've also read the Microsoft KB on the "send as" permissions, and think I have it set up correctly.

I've been looking for a more detailed install guide, but I'm unable to find one. Several people here have referenced a "sticky" in the admin section, but that is for Exchange 2007. I have Exchange 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi View Post
I would make sure you have 2 GB RAM. I have the same scenario at home and we run BES on our windows 2003 DC with Exchange 2003 on it as well. It also functions as a file server. And we run it on workstation grade hardware!

You will get full mailbox functionality - its very cool. no need to install the MDS services. It automatically installs an MDS service that gives you access to your intranet, but you don't need the part for developing apps. Basically, just say no to MDS on install. All of your BB apps will work just like they do now. Being on BES is only as restrictive as your administrator - and in this case, that's you.

You need to follow the directions to the letter. Since its already an exchange box, there is no need to install ESM tools, but you need to:

1. create the BB service account with a mailbox
2. assign the send as permissions and other required permissions in the install guide.
3. log in as BBadmin account and install BESX - it will install MSDE and create the DB.

If you did not follow the directions correctly, uninstall and start over.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

It always says initializing in BES manager until you activate the device.

All the services are running?

lets try it wirelessly: right click on the user in BES manager and select "set activation password" make it something simple like cat or dog.

Go to the BB and go to Options\advanced options\enterprise activation

enter the e-mail address (it shows in BES manager for reference) and the password that you set. click scroll and activate.
BES 4.1
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried that too. It sits there for about 30 minutes then gives an error message saying it can't find the server or something.

All the services are running. Like I said, I think it's a permissions issue. I've searched the problem on the Blackberry site and got this.

After searching for issues on permissions, I found this page from Microsoft where they tell you step-by-step how to set permissions.

Here is some information:
Mail: Exchange 2003 6.5.7638.1 (SP2?)
Store.exe version: 6.5.7638.2
I tried installing "Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1", but it said it couldn't install with Outlook (though I'm not sure if I need it)

Again, I'm pretty sure it's a permissions issue, but to set permissions, I keep being referred to "BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange Version 4.1 Installation Guide". The instructions in that guide are vague. They just say:

Give the service account the following permissions:
- log on locally with local permissions (if not assigned by default)
- log on as a service

Not very helpful.

When I went and read KB912918, it had specific instructions called: Special tasks for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Under "Task 2", I get to step 3, but when I hit "Apply" I get this message:

Acces Denied.

Facility: LDAP Provider
ID no: 80070005
Exchange System Manager

I'm getting really frustrated here.

Problem activating:
USB: "The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent"
Wireless: times out

Quote:
It always says initializing in BES manager until you activate the device.

All the services are running?

lets try it wirelessly: right click on the user in BES manager and select "set activation password" make it something simple like cat or dog.

Go to the BB and go to Options\advanced options\enterprise activation

enter the e-mail address (it shows in BES manager for reference) and the password that you set. click scroll and activate.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Step 3 is just making the BES admin account a local administrator. That would have had to be done before you can install BES.

For numbers 1&2, its under Local Policies\User Rights Assignment "log on as a service". Add BES admin account. (these instructions assume you installed the adminpak)

Those two things have to be done BEFORE BES is installed and I will assume that happened if you got as far as you did. As for the send as permissions, just grant the BES admin account send as permissions on your user OU in AD.

also, did you initialize the BES mailbox? when you start an activation, does the user get the activation e-mail in their outlook inbox?
BES 4.1
Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Step 3 is just making the BES admin account a local administrator. That would have had to be done before you can install BES.

For numbers 1&2, its under Local Policies\User Rights Assignment "log on as a service". Add BES admin account. (these instructions assume you installed the adminpak)

Those two things have to be done BEFORE BES is installed and I will assume that happened if you got as far as you did. As for the send as permissions, just grant the BES admin account send as permissions on your user OU in AD.

also, did you initialize the BES mailbox? when you start an activation, does the user get the activation e-mail in their outlook inbox?
I put the instructions for step 3 in bold below. We must not be looking at the same document (KB912918). This is the step I get the errors in. Maybe my permissions are fine, as I am able to install and setup BES, I just can't get activation to work.

Yes, I do get the emails in the user's inbox. The subject line start with "RIM_bca" and has "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld..." in the text. Activation never finishes, though.

Also, as I said in an earlier post, I get the "The user is not yet known to the Blackberry agent." message when I try to activate using USB.

Grant "Send As," "Receive As," and "Administer Information Store" permissions at the server level for each Exchange Server server. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In Exchange System Manager, right-click the first Exchange Server administrative group name, and then expand the Servers group.
b. Right-click an Exchange Server server, click Properties, and then click Security.
c. In the top pane, select the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account. In the bottom pane, make sure that the "Send As," "Receive As," and "Administer Information Store" permissions are set to Allow.
d. Repeat steps 3b and 3c for each Exchange Server server
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, and as for "log on as service", the BESAdmin account is in there, but I cannot find "log on Locally", so I cannot add it there. This might be because the server the BES is on is also a domain controller.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Here is a pic of the assigned send\receive as permissons

Also, make sure that "everyone" has read permissions on the BES mailbox in the exchange properties and I think it has to be visible in the GAL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bes-exch.jpg (86.1 KB, 15 views)
BES 4.1
Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Here is a pic of the assigned send\receive as permissons

Also, make sure that "everyone" has read permissions on the BES mailbox in the exchange properties and I think it has to be visible in the GAL.
Here's the same screenshot on my end. You can see the permissions it has from the greyed checks. The darker checks are the ones I'm trying to get to take. When I click "Apply", I get the error message shown.

I did not know about "everyone" needing read access to the BES mailbox. I'll check that now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BES.jpg (68.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Flapjack; 07-19-2007 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot to attach pic
Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, just checked. Everyone has read rights on the BESAdmin mailbox. The account also shows in the GAL.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Today, I'm trying wireless activation again. I set a new activation password on the user in Blackberry Manager, and initiated an Enterprise Activation from the phone. Within a few seconds, the "RIM_bca" message appeared in the user's mailbox.

From this point on, nothing new happens. The handheld just sits there, showing;

Activating
[email address]...

If I knew what was actually transpiring at this stage, maybe I could figure out where the problem is. If it has to do with permissions, maybe knowing what's going on will help. If it has to do with a connection issue, possibly it has to do with the fact the mail/BES server is sitting behind the firewall, not in front of it.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

are you logged in as a domain admin when you try to assign the send\receive as permissions? the BES admin account shouldn't have permssion to make changes in ESM.

As for stalling on the activation, I would remove the user from BES, wipe the BB, re-add user and try activation again.
BES 4.1
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #14
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
are you logged in as a domain admin when you try to assign the send\receive as permissions? the BES admin account shouldn't have permssion to make changes in ESM.
That got rid of the "access denied" message I was receiving. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I confuse my self, as I'm usually remoting into these machines. I had to open another remote session with a domain admin logon, then I was able to add those permissions. At least that is working now.

Quote:
As for stalling on the activation, I would remove the user from BES, wipe the BB, re-add user and try activation again.
Normally, how long should it sit at "Activating" on the handheld? I would really like to avoid wiping the blackberry if at all possible.

How much will be lost if it needs to be wiped? Is this just a precautionary measure, or does it usually solve the problem. From every thread I've been able to uncover on wireless activation problems, wiping the BB never seemed to work.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

I've had situations where wiping the BB worked. You can try just removing the user from BES, re-adding them and then re-activating first. if that doesn't work, I would wipe the BB.

When you wipe it, all personal data is removed. Programs are not uninstalled though. you can always make a backup first using desktop manager. But, I don't know if you can restore that data over a BB that has been activated on a BES. Worst case scenario, if the wipe doesn't help, you can restore the data back to the unactivated BB
BES 4.1
Old 07-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #16
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

It might be something to do with the mail.

I can access the BESAdmin email account through OWA, but when I try to open up Outlook and check that way, I cannot even create the account. There are two profiles there: BlackberryManager and BlackberryServer. Neither of them have an account set up. When I try to add a "Microsoft Exchange Server" account, I get to the step where you put in the server name and username, then I get the following message:

"The specified device, file, or path could not be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in use, you may be experiencing network problems, or you may not have sufficient permission to access it"

Could this be the problem?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have another question. Since adding some of the appropriate permissions (following the guide here, it would seem I have them all set appropriately now), activity in the user's inbox has changed.

It used to be, I'd get the RIM_bca message and that was it. Now when I do a wireless activation, the email appears in there for a few seconds, then disappears.

I'm hoping this is a sign of something happening. I still have no indicator of progress on the handheld, though. It just says "Activating" and shows the email address with a few trailing dots...

Also, on the Blackberry Manager, in the main window I see "Initializing" under Status, and in the lower window, the first line says: "Status: Initializing - Activation Password Set".
Old 07-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

I doubt it. I am assuming you are not logged in as BESadmin on the workstation and that's why you are getting access denied.

As long as all the permissions are in place according to the install doc, it should work. Make sure that the user you are trying to activate isn't a member of any protected groups such as print operators or domain admins.
BES 4.1
Old 07-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Flapjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I doubt it. I am assuming you are not logged in as BESadmin on the workstation and that's why you are getting access denied.

As long as all the permissions are in place according to the install doc, it should work. Make sure that the user you are trying to activate isn't a member of any protected groups such as print operators or domain admins.
The user I am trying to activate IS a domain admin... now what?

Also, I still can't create an email account for BESAdmin when logged in as such. I can still login/send/receive via OWA with that account, though.

**EDIT**
Still times out with the server not responding error. Damn.

Last edited by Flapjack; 07-20-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Outlook isn't installed on the BES, right?
BES 4.1
Closed Thread