Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
Andrew612

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Newbie guide to saving pdf attachments in BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
I spent a long time figuring out how to transfer a PDF, or Word doc from an e-mail that was only received on my BB to my PC without using a wired (or wireless) PC internet connection.

I'm not sure if this would be useful knowledge to anyone, but in case someone is searching for the way to do it, they might hit this post before spending all day like I did.

First, with the current 4.2 system it is impossible to save a pdf or other email attachment received in BB's inbox to the BB internal memory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could find no solution to this without using an outside app. It looks like OS 4.5 is going to fix this, but I'm not sure--still a newbie BB user here.

I decided to use eFile to get around this problem. After installing and reinstalling eFile a couple of times I finally got it up and running.

Some pitfalls with using eFile include: choosing the "use mouse" option (for some reason this caused my 8100's cursor to freeze) so use the mouse option at your own risk. When the cursor froze, I had to reinstall Efile and start over.

Another problem that occurred was the app icon didn't appear on the BB after installation. This is solved by removing the BB battery and waiting 10 seconds. After replacing the battery, the eFile program icon should reappear.

Next, assuming you have eFile running, you will need to open up an email with an attachment. I chose an email with a pdf attachment. When you select the attachment with your cursor, hit the BB menu button and choose "Edit Attachment". In theory, this renders the attachment to a usable and more viewable form. Now you can use the BB menu button and select that attachment again, this time pressing "Save Native."

If all goes right, eFile will give you an option of where to save the new file within your device or SD memory. The rendering and saving steps may take several minutes. As I understand it, BB sends the file to the eFile server and the server works some magic on it and sends it back to BB. I have know clue how this works.

If the "Save Native" step seems to be taking a very long time (and no progress is being made), you may have a network conflict. Quit trying to save the file and go back into the eFile app. Access the start menu > setting > network and view your options. Change Network to "Hosted" and then choose "Advanced Options". From what I can tell, this menu lets you choose how BB sends the file to eFile. You may have to try a couple different options before one works. For my tmobile BB pearl, on an e-mail only plan, the WAP option works great.

One more thing to take into consideration is your firewall settings. I'm still unfamiliar with the BB firewall, but I read in the eFile documentation that reseting the configuration may help if you cannot connect to the eFile server.

So if you've made it this far, you have an attachment from an email sitting in your BBs device memory. Now you're ready to upload the file to your PC. This can be done with the BB Device Manager (which many people seem to hate--I can totally see why). Open up the Media Manger in the DM, and use Roxio to select the files in the lower panel, and drag them to the upper panel. Make sure the upper panel is pointing at your "My Documents" folder or whatever you want.

The other option for uploading is to use your My Computer on the PC to enable BB as a drive. There are many guides out there floating around that tell you how to do this, and it seems to be a more elegant approach then using the Device Manager. However I'm fairly certain you cannot access the BB device memory in this fashion, ONLY a BB SD card can be read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope this helps anyone trying to accomplish this awkward method of data transfer!!

Last edited by Andrew612; 05-30-2008 at 02:22 AM..
Closed Thread