Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #21
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredPC View Post
Okay, now this is getting silly. Everyone I've spoken to, including people employed by, representing, and speaking for T-Mobile are 'idiots' ... because you say so?
YES. I'm not sure how I can put this any clearer. The requirements are printed in black and white, and just because the people you spoke to don't know that and the fact that you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I know what? Everyone I've talked to except you thinks it's just fine. I wasn't aware you're in charge of Right vs Wrong, or that I should take some anonymous forum poster's word over various people employed by my phone company whom I've spoken to in person.

Seriously, man. Is all this sour grapes and animosity over a measly $15 a month?
You know you're trying skirt the policy, which is fraudulent. The difference in cost is not the issue, it's the principle of the matter.

Also, how do you figure that I'm anonymous? I've been here 5 years and several thousand valid, factual, helpful posts longer than you have.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
CharredPC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
YES. I'm not sure how I can put this any clearer. The requirements are printed in black and white, and just because the people you spoke to don't know that and the fact that you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true.
So, once again, you know best- more than those employed by T-Mobile- because...?

Quote:
You know you're trying skirt the policy, which is fraudulent. The difference in cost is not the issue, it's the principle of the matter.
I don't know that I'm "skirting" any policy. In fact, I have a lot of evidence to the contrary. I walked into a T-Mobile affiliate store, and was told the requirements needed to upgrade a phone. I did so with no problem. I then walked into an official T-Mobile store to upgrade a second phone, and they verified the exact same information. I'm sure your experiences differ, but from everything I've been told, T-Mobile is very aware of and completely cool with this situation. At what point in this story am I running away laughing sinisterly, having 'gotten away' with anything?

This might not be common in your area, but as I said, the wireless store at the mall hooks up about half their BlackBerry upgrades this way. I doubt they'd still be in business (or, at least not as a licensed T-Mobile affiliate) if what they were doing was so "against the rules." Plus, again, the official T-Mobile store concurred with this policy, and happily did the same exact thing for a second line / phone. So in your book, I should run back and yell at all of them (plus some phone support reps) that they don't know how to do their jobs, and I'm better informed about their jobs than they are because... "dc/dc on the internet told me so?"

Quote:
Also, how do you figure that I'm anonymous? I've been here 5 years and several thousand valid, factual, helpful posts longer than you have.
No offense, but you're text text on a screen, apparently physically located halfway around the world from me, without any authority except perhaps in this forum; without any knowledge save your personal experience. I'm sorry if I take the word of those with the actual control over my account, locally employed by my phone company over your opinion.

And while I'm sure you've had several thousand factual, helpful posts in this particular forum, this doesn't strike me as one of your more pleasant or enlightening. You've assigned yourself the task of 'fixing' a non-problem because for some reason it irritates you enough to accuse me of being dishonest and wishing me ill will I didn't comment here to provide some sort of outlet for your frustrations or misery, I did so relevantly in reply to the OP, who asked about cheaper data plan coverage. Hasn't this thread been cr@pped on enough? Fine, let me wave a great big "YMMV" disclaimer, and we can all move on, okay?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

A lot of dealers and misinformed reps do do things against the rules, and those stores do not get shut down. I spend most of my day cleaning up someone elses mess, so I know first hand.

Most of the time I don't get the call until a bill cycle has past and it's too late to reverse the damages.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
So, once again, you know best- more than those employed by T-Mobile- because...?

I don't know that I'm "skirting" any policy. In fact, I have a lot of evidence to the contrary. I walked into a T-Mobile affiliate store, and was told the requirements needed to upgrade a phone. I did so with no problem. I then walked into an official T-Mobile store to upgrade a second phone, and they verified the exact same information. I'm sure your experiences differ, but from everything I've been told, T-Mobile is very aware of and completely cool with this situation. At what point in this story am I running away laughing sinisterly, having 'gotten away' with anything?

This might not be common in your area, but as I said, the wireless store at the mall hooks up about half their BlackBerry upgrades this way. I doubt they'd still be in business (or, at least not as a licensed T-Mobile affiliate) if what they were doing was so "against the rules." Plus, again, the official T-Mobile store concurred with this policy, and happily did the same exact thing for a second line / phone. So in your book, I should run back and yell at all of them (plus some phone support reps) that they don't know how to do their jobs, and I'm better informed about their jobs than they are because... "dc/dc on the internet told me so?"

No offense, but you're text text on a screen, apparently physically located halfway around the world from me, without any authority except perhaps in this forum; without any knowledge save your personal experience. I'm sorry if I take the word of those with the actual control over my account, locally employed by my phone company over your opinion.

And while I'm sure you've had several thousand factual, helpful posts in this particular forum, this doesn't strike me as one of your more pleasant or enlightening. You've assigned yourself the task of 'fixing' a non-problem because for some reason it irritates you enough to accuse me of being dishonest and wishing me ill will I didn't comment here to provide some sort of outlet for your frustrations or misery, I did so relevantly in reply to the OP, who asked about cheaper data plan coverage. Hasn't this thread been cr@pped on enough? Fine, let me wave a great big "YMMV" disclaimer, and we can all move on, okay?
Wow. I'm sorry you typed all that. All you had to say was, "My eyes are glued shut and my mind is closed." That would have said the same thing in less words.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
CharredPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
A lot of dealers and misinformed reps do do things against the rules, and those stores do not get shut down. I spend most of my day cleaning up someone elses mess, so I know first hand.

Most of the time I don't get the call until a bill cycle has past and it's too late to reverse the damages.
As I stated previously, the billing cycle has passed without issue. In fact, looking at the actual paper bill, it has a little "REQ" next to the $14.99 Unlimited Texting plan, indicating that (just as everyone has told me) it is the required service for having a Blackberry.

Quote:
All you had to say was, "My eyes are glued shut and my mind is closed." That would have said the same thing in less words.
As opposed to you, who are so open minded and willing to accept new information?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

It sounds more like a glitch in their system.

So, do you get full data, etc.,?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #27
CharredPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
It sounds more like a glitch in their system.

So, do you get full data, etc.,?
Absolutely not. I can just use Wifi access, as I intended all along. The default BB apps (AIM, Visual Voicemail, etc) do not work even so- they come up with the "Data Plan is Required" upsell / error. But the built-in browser works fine (switching from web2go to the hotspot setting) and all my favorite third party apps (Pandora, Beejive, Gmail, etc) all work great. When I'm on the go, I usually just need a phone. I'll play on the web at home. Besides, since winning that new 16GB MicroSD card on eBay for $27 shipped, I have plenty of music and movies to keep me occupied if I'm bored in an office somewhere
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Ok. So you don't even need full data or the BlackBerry browser for your playtime apps.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #29
CharredPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Ok. So you don't even need full data or the BlackBerry browser for your playtime apps.
I'm pretty sure I use the BlackBerry browser itself (if I've read everything correctly, the web2go vs hotspot setting just changes where the data comes from), but no, the apps I use just require a TCP/IP connection, not a BIS data plan. This has been only slightly limiting- one weather app refuses to run (can't find a data connection), but most everything else third party just uses any internet access it finds.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

T-Mobile relies heavily on TCP/IP settings for things like the TZones data plan (generic). You can get non-BlackBerry data on a plan like TZones, but not BB email, BBM, etc.

If you wan't all the great features that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry however, you're going to need that BlackBerry Data Plan.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #31
pootshwan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I'm living proof that AT&T does not require a data plan with BB. Maybe it's because I have the 8310.

Last edited by pootshwan; 03-29-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #32
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootshwan View Post
I'm living proof that AT&T does not require a data plan with BB. Maybe it's because I have the 8310.
So, give it time, review your bill often.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #33
pootshwan
Thumbs Must Hurt

I review (and pay) my bill online every month and nothing has changed. It's been like this for close to 2 full years. I've had the BB since July 2008, a month before I joined this forum.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

is it an ATT branded BB or from another carrier and unlocked? ATT does sweep accts and if you have a data device they have the right per your TOS to add the appropriate data feature
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #35
pootshwan
Thumbs Must Hurt

It is an AT&T branded phone. No gimmicks. Signed a 2 year plan with them almost 2 years ago and I was on a plan they actually don't offer anymore to just anyone. It's now called the "Senior Plan" or something close to it. (They verify you're over 65 years of age) It was only $29.99/month. That's relevant information because I wasn't even the person that switched my line off the plan, an AT&T rep switched me off the senior plan onto another low cost plan. $39.99/month is currently what I'm paying with included 500 text messages/month. It's been this way for well over a year.

Last edited by pootshwan; 03-29-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #36
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Getting a BlackBerry without a data plan is sorta like buying a Mercedes Benz without wheels and tires. Sure you look good sitting in it but you ain't going anywhere.

Without a data plan the use of internet, email and gps is extremely limited at best assuming that your phone supports Wi-Fi. Why spend the money on any smart phone and not get a data plan? As I said earlier in this thread, if you ain't got the money then you should either have a basic phone or no cell phone at all.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #37
pootshwan
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's like asking why buy a corvette if you're not going to drive 150 mph? Why does anyone buy a Hummer...? Why buy a wireless mouse/keyboard if your not going further than the cord can reach? Why buy carpenter jeans if you're not going to carry tools with you?

People buy nice things for luxury. I don't see how this is hard to understand. If I owned a corvette I'd definitely drive it around but I'd probably never drive 150 mph just because I own a corvette. Collect-ability. If I owned a hummer, sure I'd drive it, but would I really need its 'High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle' capabilities? I don't think so. Why do an extremely large percentage of the people that buy wireless mice/keyboards never even go further than a wired mouse/keyboard can reach? Luxury. Why do people buy carpenter Jeans? According to you: what a ridiculous thing to buy...why not just buy regular jeans? Style. Comfort maybe?

Do I need to keep going? I didn't think so....

Last edited by pootshwan; 03-30-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #38
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Pretty sure of yourself for having put forth a flawed anology. Not once, but over and over.

To use your Corvette example, we see, repeatedly, the new forum member who is like the person who has leased a nice car and finds out, to his dismay, that the lease doesn't include fuel and insurance. Morever, they think they are being cheated! "You mean I'm paying all this money and I gotta pay for gas and insurance too? What a ripoff!"

Yeah, there are people using a blackberry without a blackberry data plan who know the situation and have made an informed choice. But they are different. They don't complain, and they don't expect to use a service without paying for it.

The fact remains that the blackberry device is the hardware appliance for the blackberry services. Without the data plan the blackberry is a good cell phone and an ok PDA. If that's what a person wants, more power to them; but do your homework and be prepared to live with the limitations.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-30-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #39
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

I like the way aiharkness put it
blue.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #40
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Trying to wheeze data services that everyone else pays for, like proper adults, just plain sucks.
Closed Thread