Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #41
nikolaos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

haha, I feel most of you. It depends on the weather whether I will replace my 9000 with the 9700.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #42
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

I wondered exactly the same thing. I ended up getting a 9700 because I got an amazing deal on one ($29.99 for simply extending my existing contract for another year). I am REALLY happy with it. The just slightly smaller size is great, but the significantly reduced weight is the thing I notice the most. Also the trackpad seems to perform much better than the trackball, although I never really had any problems with the trackball on my 9000. I actually miss the nice bright light from the trackball, but I can live without it. Would have been cool if they had made the edges of the trackpad light up (can't make the whole thing light up I guess). Also, I WAY prefer the feel of the rubberized black side buttons on the 9700 to the "chrome" buttons on the 9000. The battery life also appears to be noticeably better. If you can get a deal you think is affordable than I'd recommend the upgrade.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #43
mlxjaded
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PM

Wirelessly posted

The 9700 is really nice. I never owned the original bold because I didn't like the big size of it (but I'm sure it was something bold owners got used to). The new bold is awesome and has a great form factor. The keyboard is really nice and I'm typing this from the new bold right now. A couple downsides are that the trackpad is a little wobbly but it works amazingly. also, the bottom plate with the carrier logo on it is also pretty wobbly. But other than some wobbly parts, the phone is solid and great.

Out on your own.
Cold and alone again.
Can this be what you really wanted, baby?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #44
skidog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT
Default Impressions after 24 hours...

I purchased 9700 last night because I was having trackball issues.

Thus far, for me it is a mixed review.

Likes--I like the way the keypad feels, and REALLY like the camera. I like the smaller size, but my enthusiasm for the smaller form factor is offset by missing the larger screen. I also like that the OS is faster; its pretty noticeable.

Dislikes--The speakerphone does not sound nearly as good, and the handset does not sound as clear and strong when I am talking on the phone. I miss the larger screen, even though there is really not that much difference (this surprises me.)

I will probably keep it, but I am not certain. I may take another shot at repairing my 9000. (When I depress the trackball, it often, but not always, acts as if it has been depressed multiple times. For example, when I open an email, it will not only open, but will also go to the "reply" screen, even thought I only "clicked" once...)

Thanks
Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #45
segeln4me
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhon

I like the 9700 better, but can understand people preferring the 9000 over the 9700. I have tried the 8900 also and the 9700 is almost the exact same size, but faster and better made. The keyboard is much better, more like the 9000. The 8900 keyboard has too much wiggle room and the battery door is way too lose. The 9700 is a better build and faster and the trackpad is so much better, and even my thumb feels better. If you like big and bulky and don't mind about the lack of memory space, the 9000 is a great phone. I prefer the 9700. If there is a 9900 just is the same height and width as the 9000, but with a slimmer form factor and with more memory and a trackpad, I am all over that. I don't need a touchscreen. For now though, the 9700 is the best blackberry out there, at least until a newer one comes out.

iPhone 4

Last edited by segeln4me; 12-04-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #46
MobileMind
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Telekom.de

9700 is a quality upgrade on the 9000 which was also a quality phone once they got the firmware right.

POSITIVES

1) Those of you worried about the keypad don't be its really a question of about 1-2 mm difference. The Bold appeared much bigger because it has an extra rim around the edge but actually the keyboard is only marginally larger on the lowest row. It"s a kind of optical illusion and until you lay one on top of the other you may not see what I mean.

2) The camera and video camera are qualitatively much better and night photography is even possible in a way it was not on the Bold 1. Its not perfect but this is not promarily a camera or a video camera is it.

3) The firmware seems to do everything better- the menus are more intuitive and there are better links to make connections from one thing to another. For instance from the camera menu you can choose video camera or in the applications folder you can choose files. Or there is a nice visual display option for memory use.

4) The battery life is far better and really the Bold 2 has to be the best Smart phone out there on that score and far better than an iPhone 3GS for instance. You cannot take a battery out of an iphone AND the one you have does not last as long

5)Basic hardware changes I like are havign the sd card slot inside the battery cover but above the battery.

6) I like the big bold size but I have to say the new bold fits nicely in the hand with no sacrifice of typing ability.

7) All the functions from the old version carry over well e.g. modem, wifi , bluetooth

8) The trackpad is awesome and so much more practical - hopefully dust resistance improves also.

9) Having 256 MB of flash memory makes all the difference with over sized email accounts - saved messages and application downloads no longer beign the problem they were on the Bold 1

10) The visual display seems better and the finish better. I had a million bugs on my first Bold which got resolved over the year I had it. But this one has workd out of the box. I am on later firmware only in my pursuit of East Asian jap input really - Idid not have any pressing need to upgrade this tiem as I did last time. Think RIM did this rollout better and tested better this time.

Considering all the positives I wonder why I was not more excited when this thing came out. I was over the moon with the Bold 1 whereas this device is like a quality upgrade to me. No need to brag , no need to flaunt its functions - did all that with the Bold 1 - it just feels better like I am walking around with a quality device. Maybe cause it does not have the shock of the new just the quiet assurance of extra quality in just about all areas of the phones usage. I would not swap this for any other phone I have seriously looked at including E72 Nokia, iPhone 3GS.

NEGATIVES

1) Japanese Input is not working on the Bold 2 whereas it was on the Bold 1. This is a pretty major thing for me but I figure that RIM will solve it soon enough. Sooner the better though RIM!!!

er thats it for negatives .... guess I like this one then!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #47
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

The BB maps works fine after you download it. Except I have this one problem. The local search function on BB maps doesn't work at all.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #48
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Well, I guess one day I'll have an enlightened experience just as you must have, and it will all make sense.
Enlightened is the key word. Sarcasm noted.

Is it worth it? The device is superior in every way unless you possess giant hands. The question of 'worth' is a function of your cost and your financial resources. I suspect that neither your life nor mine could measurably improve by the purchase of a new trinket that performs roughly 95% of the same functions as the trinket you currently possess.

Last edited by torberry; 12-08-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #49
Mandel

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

Don't even ask the question... run to buy it.

It is absolutely a fantastic device. The magic of BB is back... Pleaaaaaase just fix the browser, and I'm loyal forever.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #50
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
Is it worth it? The device is superior in every way unless you possess giant hands. The question of 'worth' is a function of your cost and your financial resources.
Agreed.

Quote:
I suspect that neither your life nor mine could measurably improve by the purchase of a new trinket that performs roughly 95% of the same functions as the trinket you currently possess.
Also agreed.

I moved to the 9700 because I wanted the form factor of the 8700 with the performance and features of the 9000. It's as simple as that for me. Has it change my life? Nah...

But to get back to why I was sarcastic in the first place... did marketing drive me to the 9700? I don't think so. The technical details of the 9700 did. If marketing had any influence, then I would have also wanted the Tour, and the Storm 2, and the Pearl Flip, and the new Curve... but I didn't, and I still don't.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #51
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Stop whining about the size. If you haven't tried for more than the time it takes to look at it in the store, you are not doing it justice. The build has a very solid feel. The battery door is not loose as has occurred on the 9000.

Trackpad is awesome. Better battery life. Better camera. OS 5.0. Faster, slicker and better. Admittedly, it is not a quantum leap over the 9000. Having had a Curve before my 9000, getting used to the smaller 9700 keyboard was not a big adjustment. There are menu tweaks that allow for more customization of things like ringtones/profiles.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #52
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
Stop whining about the size.
Who are you talking to?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #53
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

While the 9000 is larger, let's not go overboard. Compared to the 9700, the 9000 is 5mm wider, 6mm taller and an entire 14g heavier.

For those who are metrically challenged, that about 3/16" wider and longer and 1/2oz heavier.

It looks bigger than it is. The chrome border has likely something to do with it.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #54
ifonline
Magic Bananas

...and the 9700 feels smaller than it is. There is more to the size of the device beyond length, width, and depth. Subtle curves can make or break a device with regard to how well it "fits." The 9000 was nice, but boxy. The 9700 is both physically smaller and designed in such a way that it just "fits" better.

At least, that's how I see it.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #55
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
...and the 9700 feels smaller than it is. There is more to the size of the device beyond length, width, and depth. Subtle curves can make or break a device with regard to how well it "fits." The 9000 was nice, but boxy. The 9700 is both physically smaller and designed in such a way that it just "fits" better.

At least, that's how I see it.
After using the 9700 for a week or so, I picked up my 9000 and it felt so big and heavy... and the trackball really did seem foreign to me. The 9700 is just so sleek... the trackpad is so intuitive... not sure I could ever go back to a trackball. Just for grins, I picked up my old 8700c, too. The trackwheel was really a trip. Can anyone imagine that the trackwheel was the way we rolled back then?

I love my 9700.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #56
msteadman

Model: 900
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted

I had the exact same experience yesterday after using my 9000 for a bit to install the latest OS on it)

I had no problems with the trackball during my year with the 9000, it was my first BlackBerry, and convinced myself I would hate the trackpad. However the trackball now feels not only foreign but completely unpleasant to use. Also the 9000 feels huge even in my admittedly oger sized hands. I read CrackBerry's review of the 9700 and it's mysteriously wonderful "beveled edges" months before it was released. Now I can understand all of the hype. A negligible size difference on paper, but a completely different feeling in the hand.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #57
bembol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700

My head is all over the place on this. I'm even thinking if I should just get the 32GB iPhone 3G Type S. LOL

I'm not sure if I'm having regrets, I guess it takes time getting used to it.

This is my third and hopefully last 9700.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #58
arbos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Seems like most of the people who do not like or do not want the Bold 2 don't own one.

And most of the people who have owned both like the 9700 more (with a few exceptions)

The 9000 is probably the best Blackberry I have ever used (dating back to the 7510). But I'm on my 4th one this year and the trackball is going on this one yet again....so it's time to make the jump. When I receive my 9700 tomorrow I'll come back with a review.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #59
Lifestyles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 24D2ED97
Default Size really doesnt matter! or does it?

I have had almost every Rogers Blackberry since my first 950 (those were the days... how many times did I have to explain what a blackberry was! LOL), including the 950, 957, 6710, 7100(horrible), 7210, 8700, 8300 & 8310 Curves and finally my 9000 BOLD running 5.0.0.514

Being a techy guy that has a tendency to send my blackberries flying across the floor (unintentionally of course), I have always tried to have a solid case on my phones. I currently have an Otterbox Defender series case on my Bold. It damn near doubles the size of it, but I will take function over form any day!
I too love the size, feel and heft of the BOLD, even without the case. Maybe this is due to my history of Big ol Berries from the past. I really did enjoy my curve, but getting double the resolution and processor made it worth while for the extra size.
I was looking at and comparing to the new 9700 the other day, and I must say... They felt and looked great! But at around the same time, I was playing with the Storm2 from Telus... Schwing! I loved it! the feel of it, and look at the size of that screen! Did I say Schwing! although i had never played with the first Storm, I had heard plenty from here on the forums. I think, if Rogers ever gets a Storm, I will be all over it like hair on a bear! I was really wowed by the typing experience on it. I hated the 1st version of SureType on the 7100, and have always been a QWERTY kind of guy. but typing on the touch screen was effortless... even more so in portrait mode. SureType has really come a long way! I found that in a matter of a couple of minutes, I was typing faster on the Storm2 than I ever could on the Bold. Wow! I was surprised by that. It was nice to type and not have to worry about typos.
anyways... just my .02 cents. Please Santa... get Storms for Rogers for Christmas! (as if... grrrr)

Merry Christmas all!

950, 957, 6710, 7100, 7210, 8700, 8300, 8310, BOLD 9000, 9800 Torch BBZ10/32GB PlayBook/32GB HP TouchPad

Last edited by Lifestyles; 12-11-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #60
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

ifonline,

I have read posts on this forum and other forums whining about the size of the 9700 versus the 9000. Having owned both as well as a Curve, it is not a big deal to switch to a smaller form factor. It is not a dealbreaker and is something that takes time to get used to.
Closed Thread