Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Internal Memory vs: SD Card use

Please Login to Remove!

When ever I plug this Torch in to my PC via USB cable, and then I select [USB] mode on the Torch, I am presented with two nearly identical prompts on my PC which allow me to "OPEN" various things in various ways. Defaulting to [Open Folders] to view files.

I believe one prompt is accessing my internal memory, (which in my case is drive H, and the second prompt is pointing to the SD card, (which shows as drive I: on my PC). One is named "Blackberry" while the other is named "Blackberry Tools".

Both have a capacity of nearly 4GBs and with all I have on this thing, both are nearly 3/4 empty.

So, my question is, does using one as opposed to the other make it possible to access the info any quicker or is there really not much difference. And also, if you had the room, would it be advisable to backup one on the other?

I guess basically what I'm after, is there any advantage one has over the other?

Not a big deal but very curious, thanks

PS: And one more thing, when I go to UNPLUG my BB, I have always used the [Safely Remove Hardware] feature of Windows but in this case, it makes me do it twice, once for each drive. Is that really necessary?

Last edited by davemack; 04-01-2011 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: added question
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: Internal Memory vs: SD Card use

It is not neccessary to use the safely remove hardware feature to unplug your berry, its just acting as a thumb drive at that point. The internal memory is slightly faster for accsessing data, but only a computer would notice a difference, you will not. If you back up your device and SD card on your PC and by using BlackBerry Protect, it is unnecessary to back up your device memory to the card, and vice versa.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

I don't have a torch so someone correct me if i'm wrong. Based on the specs, the torch memory is setup like this:

512MB - for OS and apps
4G - built in (non-removable) storage space for media(not for apps)
4G - SD card storage space for media(not for apps)

I would suspect that the latter two are being mapped as drives to the pc when connected via usb.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Use the media card to store things such as photos, ringtones, music, etc. Use the device memory for apps.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you ALL for the great info!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #6
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

If I may, I would like to clarify a couple points, sorry if I seem a little anal but I just don't want to do anything to shorten the life of my computer or Blackberry.

When I plug my Torch in using the USB cable and then Select "USB Mode", I get two popups, one on top of the other.

Both of these popups look exactly the same except for slight differences in the address.

But if you click into the sub-folders on either of them, you find the very same list of "Default Folders" with one exception. The H-Drv has a folder called "Camera" that the I-Drv doesn't and the I-drv has a folder called "im" that's not on the H-Drv. Other than that, stepping "up" or "back" to a parent folder, the H-Drv has "Start.exe" in it which I assume is to install the latest desktop softwarre or something like that.

But since both drives have the same set of default sub-folders already in them, such as [Music], [Videos], [Pictures], etc., and I wanted to copy a folder full of pictures of my dog who just passed, I have to decide which drive to put them on. It almost seems like it doesn't make a difference unless there is some reason "why" I should use one as opposed to the other.

Here is what the address bars look like for each popup window when I click into the [Pictures] sub-folder

On the H-Drv I see...
"> Computer > Blackberry User Tools (H: ) > Blackberry > pictures" (minus the quotes)
Unless I click on the address bar and then I see this...
"H:\BlackBerry\pictures"

On the I-Drv, I see...
"> Computer > BLACKBERRY1 (I: ) > home > user > pictures"
Unless I click on the address bar and then I see this...
"I:\home\user\pictures"

It just seems kind of weird that RIM would go to the trouble to format both drives with the same set of subfolders because they couldn't use the same batch file to create each due to the slight differences in them. And there is nothing to indicate why using one over the other might be prefered other than one being physically removable.

I know, I'm sorry, I get this way when I can't sleep.

I'm really anal about backing up my stuff so I'm not worried about loosing anything. I just want to do what ever I can to make these things last as long as I can. I guess that's another way of saying I'm cheap.

And my last question is for adperdue because I don't see anything called "Blackberry Protect" and I was wondering what that was.

I really appreciate how helpful and informative this forum is. I have already learned a lot here, thank you all!

Last edited by davemack; 04-02-2011 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: format error
Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry, I should have added one more question: When you click the Icon on your BB home screen that says "Media", and then click "Pictures", does the BB automatically look on "BOTH" drives when it displays its set of icons representing the folders it found?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #8
TruckerMike
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Torch

I always use a SD Card it leaves the device open for apps
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

It just seems odd that RIM would put default folders in place such as [Pictures], [Music], & [Videos] in the internal memory if it wasn't advisable to use that space for such. Perhaps those folders were designed to allow space for such in a case where there was no additional SD card for use. So the question then becomes, if you DO have an SD card, which is the better place to use or does it really matter.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I don't have a torch so someone correct me if i'm wrong. Based on the specs, the torch memory is setup like this:

512MB - for OS and apps
4G - built in (non-removable) storage space for media(not for apps)
4G - SD card storage space for media(not for apps)

I would suspect that the latter two are being mapped as drives to the pc when connected via usb.
That is correct.