BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Jarrod623
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Can I have this phone w/o a data plan?

Please Login to Remove!

FYI: Before you read on, this post is a total /rant.

Ok so i do not understand this and maybe someone can help me out here. As some of you know, I work for AT&T in a store selling phones. I find this very fustrating and slightly rediculous. On anygiven week I will have atleast 10-15 poeple ask me if they must have a data plan. To be honest the answer is no, on at&t you may have a BB w/o a data plan. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DO THAT? I tell my customers all the time, "If I were a car dealer would you come in asking for a convertable and ask if you must have a folding roof?" GET A DAMN TRUCK OR CAR! If you dont want to pay for a data plan and use a BB or PDA the right way, get a Flip Phone! I know this bothers some others out there. This really ticks me off! If pooeple are that damn cheap, why are they buying $200-$300 cell phones. GET THE FREE NOKIA!

/rant-over

*Sorry needed to get that out!

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Maybe this should be the rant and rave section.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
cctraderx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT, T-Mo

Some only text and don't use other data. They like the full keyboard / larger screen.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
FYI: Before you read on, this post is a total /rant.

Ok so i do not understand this and maybe someone can help me out here. As some of you know, I work for AT&T in a store selling phones. I find this very fustrating and slightly rediculous. On anygiven week I will have atleast 10-15 poeple ask me if they must have a data plan. To be honest the answer is no, on at&t you may have a BB w/o a data plan. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DO THAT? I tell my customers all the time, "If I were a car dealer would you come in asking for a convertable and ask if you must have a folding roof?" GET A DAMN TRUCK OR CAR! If you dont want to pay for a data plan and use a BB or PDA the right way, get a Flip Phone! I know this bothers some others out there. This really ticks me off! If pooeple are that damn cheap, why are they buying $200-$300 cell phones. GET THE FREE NOKIA!

/rant-over

*Sorry needed to get that out!
As you yourself is a salesperson, you should be thankful that these people are buying the $200-300 phones even without the data plan...

what if the data plan requirement was a deal-breaker for these folks, then you would be out of a sale . . . you dont need to ridicule those people with your car dealership metaphor as that can not be . . .

a lot of people use the blackberry not because they're not being cheap not to get data but do not have a need for it, plain and simple...

My advice to you, the next time you have customers asking this question, be glad to sell them the bb without data... that's less bandwidth traffic for us data users to deal with...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I agree that I would NEVER have a BB without a BB data plan because I use it, but I could see the texting scenario mentioned above for a heavy texter that has no need for web or email. As a sales professional, your main objective should be to make a sale where both parties walk away from the transaction feeling good about it. Don't oversell someone if they have no need for it. You could make more $$ once to that person, but you'll never sell them anything again. Do it the right way, and they are a customer for life.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (troydbrown is Chad!)

I agree with the OP. I work for ATT s well. If the constumer fails to get the data plan they also are not eligible for that rebate! Many BB's come back as well because you can't do mms without the BB data. Fortunately ATT has come out with several phones for those mostly interested in messaging. It won't be long before ATT will not do a pda phone without data plan. Iphone customer currently must have it. If they remove the iphone data plan ATT has the right to put it back on without notifying the customer. Yes it is in the terms and services for the iphone. It will happen for the other smartphones to.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I am one of "THOSE" people who uses a BB without a data plan. I like everything about the BB but don't use the net or Google Maps enough to justify a data plan. If I had the extra money to give away I would have the plan, but concidering the hightest my PayPerUse bill has been with my wife and I both having BBs, in the month I installed GM, was only $20 it would be a waste to get a data plan, let alone 2.

As others have said, you should change your attitude towards sales as someone insisting that I am not worthy of a BB because I don't need a plan is likely cutting his sales because of it. As for the dealership comparison, it doesn't fit. Wanting a convertable without a folding roof would be an imposibility. There are however people who buy Mustangs with a V6 because they like everything about the car but don't need all the power that is available to it.

EZ... I was able to get my rebate without the data plan. I think it's all in who you buy it from, and I am able to MMS without a data plan.

Last edited by barbwyr; 11-17-2008 at 06:38 PM..
Old 11-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
Jarrod623

I see where you are all coming from but, there are texting phones with full keyboards for that reason. What you dont see that I see on my end is... If I sell a BB w/o a data plan, I lose 5$ on the sale. The phone is so expensive that w/o and features AT&T/Store/Myself all lose money. Not worth it. Rather lose the sale or sell somthing different (Texting phone)

Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
I see where you are all coming from but, there are texting phones with full keyboards for that reason. What you dont see that I see on my end is... If I sell a BB w/o a data plan, I lose 5$ on the sale. The phone is so expensive that w/o and features AT&T/Store/Myself all lose money. Not worth it. Rather lose the sale or sell somthing different (Texting phone)
But those texting phone don't offer the ability to synch full contacts, calender, notes, and tasks with Outlook. That was the main reason I got my BB.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Jarrod623

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

I agree with the OP. I work for ATT s well. If the constumer fails to get the data plan they also are not eligible for that rebate! Many BB's come back as well because you can't do mms without the BB data. Fortunately ATT has come out with several phones for those mostly interested in messaging. It won't be long before ATT will not do a pda phone without data plan. Iphone customer currently must have it. If they remove the iphone data plan ATT has the right to put it back on without notifying the customer. Yes it is in the terms and services for the iphone. It will happen for the other smartphones to.

What you mean OP?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Jarrod623

They do to... They are made just for those who do not want/need a data plan. As runner said these phone all came out for thoose who do not want the data. i aggree with him, it wont be long before att and other join verizon in their must have data plan ways.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

I still see nothing wrong with wanting all the best NON-data features of a BB that are not available on other phones. Just because you feel you are losing money is no reason to bash those of us who do not have a data plan. I wouldn't hold your breath on the data requirement from AT&T...they are all about the non business consumer and would not likely cut of a huge chunk of their market just to get a few extra bucks. I can see them requiring data on the Bold and other busniess level BBs but not on Curve and Pearl level BBs since those are intended for the general consumer. As for the iPhone...they are not only capitolizing on a device that had no rival, but the features that require data are what they are promoting it for. To allow it to be sold without a plan would have people crying fowl that the device does not function as advertised.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Don't get me wrong I know many people who use the bb without data. It is an excellent phone!

OP= original poster

What many don't realize is we "sales" guys have a feature quota meaning we have to average a certain amount of features per op.

It won't be long before you will go into att to get a dataplan and voice will be a feature. It is coming

It is frustrating to me a sales rp particularly when the consumer gets a bb declines data plan and after I have informed them of what they will or will not be able to do. Then come back complaing about why they can't do this or that. It happens all the time.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
[SIZE=1]
It is frustrating to me a sales rp particularly when the consumer gets a bb declines data plan and after I have informed them of what they will or will not be able to do. Then come back complaing about why they can't do this or that. It happens all the time.

That I can see would be frustrating. If you aren't gonna pay for it, then NO you won't get it. That is equivalent to the guy who bought the V6 Mustang complaining that he can't beat the neighbors Boss 502.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #15
Fletchi18

Model: 9530
PIN: a Colada
Carrier: Verizon

People are not being cheap. I love my Pearl and would definitely keep it if I ever left my job. But, I would not keep the data plan (if I had the choice) if my company was not paying for it. Not because I'm cheap. But because I don't use it enough and could certainly live without it.
@Jarrod623: what you're saying is that if I go to your store and buy a phone, you have to *pay* ATT corporate $5 because I bought a phone off of you with no data plan (you said you lose $5 on the sale). Or, did you actually that you get $5 *less* on the sale than if you had sold them the data plan with the phone? Big difference.
In my mind, a sale is a sale, especially in today's economy. I'd embrace anyone who wanted to come in and buy a device, data plan or no, because without the customers and their wants and needs, you would not have a job....
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

since this is in the rants and raves,

the cust is always right, if they are wrong they are right,

i dont see the need to get a data plan, if the phone does what they are buying it for, heck it could be just looks, who knows, what if down the road they want a data plan, buying somehting else, then not being able to upgrade, then pay full retail.

you shouldn't look at it negative, one way or the other your making more then not selling a phone. imo complain to att, over quota you have for features.

most people want something for a reason, to try, to change, might not need everything it offers, yet, maybe an option, or some convience it offers.

i do respect you ranting over it, i do think you should also respect others choices in what they want out of a device.

i still see a customer, who is told the story, or atleast know what they are getting into will be a happy customer, then a lied to customer.

my girl spent full retail on an igarbage, she was told by the stores gen mgr, sales rep, and one other rep, it can be returned/exchanged at any store within 30 days. its one big load of a lie. and a headache.

now i guess we can go on how the avg rep in an att store is clueless about devices, plans, or a policy. but as long as your honest and explain to them, and they understand what they are buying. you should have a happy customer, who will 95% come back due to other stores just being horrible cust sp and you get repeat sales, and probably more referals to you since you did mr/mrs X right.

just my thoughts, the door is always both ways. i dont agree that a phone must be baught with a data plan. if it suits their needs why not?

Last edited by wabbit; 11-20-2008 at 01:28 AM..
Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
As you yourself is a salesperson, you should be thankful that these people are buying the $200-300 phones even without the data plan...

what if the data plan requirement was a deal-breaker for these folks, then you would be out of a sale . . . you dont need to ridicule those people with your car dealership metaphor as that can not be . . .
I work for VZW and get the same complaints, although we have now gone to an all pda gets the data package policy.

My comments are probably even more offensive. I come right out and tell people we are a wireless communications company and we offer these products to provide our EVDO Broadband Access services. I even get a bigger laugh when people don't want our data package but say they really want an I Phone. Which if I'm correct AT and T people, that phones nothing more than an iPod without activating data, correct?

I sell in a store that is in the most wealthy area of Western PA and you have all sorts of spoiled brats that come in and want these phones without data, and for what reason? We offer several other phones that have QWERTY keypads for texting. The whole thing is touch screens are all the rage.

Believe me, selling someone a phone, no matter what price it is, makes no difference.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRPriester View Post
I work for VZW and get the same complaints, although we have now gone to an all pda gets the data package policy.

My comments are probably even more offensive. I come right out and tell people we are a wireless communications company and we offer these products to provide our EVDO Broadband Access services. I even get a bigger laugh when people don't want our data package but say they really want an I Phone. Which if I'm correct AT and T people, that phones nothing more than an iPod without activating data, correct?

I sell in a store that is in the most wealthy area of Western PA and you have all sorts of spoiled brats that come in and want these phones without data, and for what reason? We offer several other phones that have QWERTY keypads for texting. The whole thing is touch screens are all the rage.

Believe me, selling someone a phone, no matter what price it is, makes no difference.
While I would never have a BB without a data plan, even if I had the option not to on vzw, I don't see why it would be such a bad thing for someone to want a Curve and just have txt messaging with no data services. I'm just using the Curve as an example here. It has phenomenal phone clarity, better than any other phone I've used, including non-bb's. The keyboard is great. Display is great. Size, dependability, reliability, all great. Why not get one and just have texting if that's all you want?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
PreludeVTEC01

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I agree with the ppl not having the data plan. Although I have it. I believe BB are very user friendly and have many many more functions than 95% of other phones. Just my 2cents
Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #20
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

You need to see and hear what we put up with every day to understand what I'm getting at. Here's a great example.

Yesterday and mother and father came in and wanted to buy either a Storm or a Dare for their daughter. They asked which is "better". I asked how old she was and they said 16, so I knew where this was going. I asked if she needed to get web and email on the run, and they said no, so I said that rules out the BB. I went on to explain about the Dare. The funny thing was they said she wanted either of them for "texting" and I started to laugh, and said, "no she doesn't, she wants it simply for the fact that they are touch screens". When you think of it, texting on a touch screen is even more challenging.

We market these devices for a distinct user, period.
Closed Thread