Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers
Default Backup Problem

Please Login to Remove!

I have upgraded my OS many times and am currently on the most recent "official" OS .266. Every time I have upgraded, (I use Desktop Manager. I find it gets me reinitialized on the BES, while loader.exe does not) my data, files and programs have automatically been backed up, deleted from my 9000, and have been restored to my Bold without a problem.
However I have never been able to do a manual backup on DM (not part of the OS upgrade process). When ever I try to do a manual backup, the process starts, but stops only part way through at WordToGoPref. The back up stops there with the message "Error Error backing up database(s) ".
I had never used wordtogo, so today I registered, upgraded to the most recent version, actually imported a document and opened it, went into preferences, did a battery pull. I tried a backup on DM and still the back up stops at wordtogo preferences, with the foregoing error message.
I may want to downgrade to a lower OS and am nervious to do so without a manual backup (as a backup) in case the downgrade gets messed up.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Could it possibly be blocked by an IT Policy?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
jimfraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Could it possibly be blocked by an IT Policy?
No, not an IT Policy. I checked this morning. Did not think so as I have had no problem upgrading the OS and getting reiniatilized.
It was suggested that I upgrade to DM 4.7 from 4.6. Not sure that that would be the issue. Also I read some where on this forum that using DM 4.7 with the Bold may creat issues on an OS upgrade.
I will go into WordToGo again and actually change the preferences and save. It may be a corrupt WordToGo preferences file that is corrupted, as that is where the backup fails each time.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
jimfraser

Default Still Backup Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
No, not an IT Policy. I checked this morning. Did not think so as I have had no problem upgrading the OS and getting reiniatilized.
It was suggested that I upgrade to DM 4.7 from 4.6. Not sure that that would be the issue. Also I read some where on this forum that using DM 4.7 with the Bold may creat issues on an OS upgrade.
I will go into WordToGo again and actually change the preferences and save. It may be a corrupt WordToGo preferences file that is corrupted, as that is where the backup fails each time.
It must have been a corrupt WordToGo preferences file. After I went into WordToGo preferences and changed and saved the preferences, I got past WordToGo preferences on the backup. Still not backed up however, now I get 75% through, but the backup stops on Browser Folders and will not complete.
Not sure how to fix Browser Folders file.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Bulkhead
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Me too

I'm having the same issue, however it appears to be memory related.

If I manually select couple items at a time from the Device databases pane under the Advanced Backup and Restore menu, I can get through everything. When I try to backup everything at once, I get errors.

If I deselect a database, and restart the backup, I just get an error message at a different point in the process.

I have cleared the memory and cleared the browser cache as well.

I was getting stuck at Browser Messages. I don't know what those are and as I said, I had cleared the cache on my browser on the handheld. So, I used desktop manager and cleared the database. I had 4 records in it. I figured i could live without 4 "browser messages" whatever they are, or were. I then backed up everything else manually in one fell swoop - and it worked.

Appears to be database corruption and an error handling error to me.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited by Bulkhead; 06-02-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
L3stat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: SingTel

Bump on this thread, I might have a related issue.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
L3stat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: SingTel
Default Got mine working

Update on my problem, found a solution that may work for you: I had the same problem in that backup fails at random databases with a "Unknown error". Through experimenting, I realised that Application Loader creates a backup (provided you check off the box under options in the App Loader screen), even if you're failing to complete one. To verify this, you could install a random app through App Loader, and try locate the backup created on your HDD.

After that, I went on to do a full reinstall of the handheld OS using App Loader, checking off the backup handheld, delete all applications and data boxes. Immediately after the device data was restored, I could do a full backup with no issues. I then tried again after Enterprise Activation and it's still working. If this approach might help, do try it out.

Other details in this thread.
Closed Thread