BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Is Obama's healthcare plan right for the US?
Yes 8 25.81%
No 21 67.74%
Don't Care 0 0%
Only care about BEER. 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Default Does the US need Universal Healthcare?

Please Login to Remove!

Great article in the NY Times by Paul Krugman about the need for Obama to follow through on his promise to reform healthcare in the US. He points out how during the current tough times that this could be very good for the US.

Op-Ed Columnist - Health Care Now - NYTimes.com

Last edited by test54; 01-31-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I voted NO... The problem is who is going to pay for it when half the US is unemployed or laid off?

It will take tax dollars to fund and I have to imagine the tax dollars are slim to none with millions out of work...

My .02

Kris
Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

No matter how you look at it, if people don't have it then the tax payers are going to give it to them.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I agree... But I am sure this would be filed with pork... Nothing gets done DC, nothing...

I am sure someone would add a rider of one million dollars to treat sick squirrels, three million dollars for the ethical treatment of moose.... Ect....

Look at all the fat and waste of money in the stimulus package that does nothing to stimulate the economy..

Again my .02

Kris
Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

I dont get it, why are you guys opposed to universal health care? We have that in a canada, and we have one of the best health care systems in the world, same with switzerland. they too have the best in the world...

I'm sorry but if it means paying a bit more taxes for health care then why not?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
I dont get it, why are you guys opposed to universal health care? We have that in a canada, and we have one of the best health care systems in the world, same with switzerland. they too have the best in the world...

I agree.

PS - Obama's plan actually is not universal but it would move the US closer to it.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

in my opinion health care will create more jobs for everyone... if everyone pays taxes for it, then more money into the system, which means more hospitals will open, in turn means more nurses, more doctors, more personnel that are needed for jobs... in turn helping the economy alot...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

CHOICE

i should be able to see whatever doctor I want.

I doubt the American people will want to pay the taxes required to implement such a system. Universal healthcare Are doctors really gonna wanna work for some set salary?

If they implement fine But i should have a choice as to whether or not I want to be part of that system
Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

You do have a choice... i have like 5 clinics around where i live and i can choose which i want to go to. i can choose who i want to be as my family doctor/regular doctor... however when in the hospital i dont have a choice, but who would want one, when i'm in the emergency room, i really dont care who my doctor is, same as if i get rolled in, from an ambulance... when you are going to a hospital you dont really need to have a choice... does that make sense...

ezrunner what are you talking about when you say choice... with or without health care you have a choice...
Old 01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

How many of the people here run a business and need to pay the premiums for their employees? I'll bet that some of the folks who are most concerned about their free choice also have the least financial stake -- personally -- in that fight.

Last edited by djm2; 01-31-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Well I don't own a business but I do pay a good % of my insurance. I am just sick and tired of paying more and more taxes. A few years ago the regional school district split in my town and my taxes went up $1100.00 in one year. I drop off toys for the Salvation Army, a woman came in to pick up toys this year she walked out and got into a Hummer. My tax dollars at work. It just never ends; raising taxes is not the answer for everything in the Country. And that is exactly what is going to happen with healthcare.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Get rid of the lawyers and all the malpractice suits and the cost "should" come down. That is one of the major problems.

Drs are so scared of malpractice suits that they order every test know to man and beasts and then invent a couple more just to cover their butts in case they get sued.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

zerog, the point of health care is so you dont have to pay insurance for medical... health care would cover it all... so no need to pay for the insurance
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post

Saying you have one of the best healthcare systems in the world isn't say much. While I have major issues with the expense and over-commercialization of our system in the US I DO NOT want socialized medicine.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

see everyone is saying they dont want it socialize is... but no one is saying why... it doesnt make sense... universal health care is for the great good of ALL people.... most people yes can afford insurance for medical attention, but what if for some reason with this recession thing going on you lose your job, ohhh now you cant pay for that insurance, what are you going to do if you need to go to the doctor? nothing... you cant, you have no $$ to go... with universal health care, you wont need to worry about that, as long as you have a health care card you can walk into any clinic, hospital etc and get medical attention, no bills you need to worry about... the joy of paying for health care via taxes...

Last edited by Cory Scheuer; 01-31-2009 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Cory I think it comes down to taxes, people think that low taxes = happiness. however the happiest countries in the world are ones with high taxes, and its because they have fewer worries about the most important things in their lives like being able to afford healthcare or retirement.

djm makes a great point, for business owners the cost of healthcare for their employees has gotten to the point where for some it does not make sense to offer it anymore. with a national system you would solve that problem.

for most individuals your cost in tax dollars would be less than what your paying in your plans now. For profit health care insurance by definition is not the best method as I see it.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I already give up over 30% of my pay to taxes I do not want to give up any more. Why should I pay for you to go to the hospital when I dont like you in the first place?

I dont want to have to wait for a hospital bed, or be told my son will die because the cost is more to treat him then to bury him. Thats a true story!

Its been documented that you have to wait till a bed opens for you to have surgery. The beds in the states are already full of illegals and welfare patients. We dont need more free loaders or more taxes.

But its my choice to have insurance or not. Why do I need the government to tell me I have to pay for something I dont need.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I already give up over 30% of my pay to taxes I do not want to give up any more. Why should I pay for you to go to the hospital when I dont like you in the first place?

I dont want to have to wait for a hospital bed, or be told my son will die because the cost is more to treat him then to bury him. Thats a true story!

Its been documented that you have to wait till a bed opens for you to have surgery. The beds in the states are already full of illegals and welfare patients. We dont need more free loaders or more taxes.

But its my choice to have insurance or not. Why do I need the government to tell me I have to pay for something I dont need.
No doubt there are bad stories out there but there are bad stories with the current situation where basically your care is in the hands of a for-profit company that has their investors interests above yours. Their choices ruin peoples lives daily.

I do not see the money angle as the taxes would be less than the high rates the companies are paying now. The service is the question but from Cory and other people's stories I do not see the level of care dropping. Although we hardly have the best medical services in the US anyways.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

our system is broken but i am pretty sure national healthcare isn't the answer. i don't know what is but i'm pretty damn sure that national healthcare is not going to fis the system.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
our system is broken but i am pretty sure national healthcare isn't the answer. i don't know what is but i'm pretty damn sure that national healthcare is not going to fis the system.
then the only other alternative is a ton of regulation of the existing system. atleast as I see thats the only other option to try to fix it.

and the 5 yes votes is more than I thought I would see in here knowing the crowd.