Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Technologic80
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Question Im totally torn.. At&t contract up 12-20-08

Please Login to Remove!

My at&t contract is up 12-20-08. I have the pearl 8110 and my bill comes out to $115 every month.

Giving the economy and what not, I'd like to save a few bucks. Sprint's plans definately do that. For $89.99, less 15% (I work for the govt), I can get 900 minutes and the blackberry plan with Sprint. I'd likely get another Pearl or the Curve or maybe even the Samsung Instinct.

Verizon by far seems to be the most expensive. I would LOVE to have the BB Storm but I dont want to pay more than $100 a month for it - I need the 900 minute plan.

Im also bummed about leaving at&t. I love having "Roll over minutes", its really saved me a few times.

Can I get some advice? Some reassurance that the Storm is worth switching to Verizon? TIA!
Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologic80 View Post

Can I get some advice? Some reassurance that the Storm is worth switching to Verizon? TIA!
IMHO, NO phone is worth switching to Verizon. Period.

However, it depends a lot on where you live, work and play. Which provider has the best coverage in those areas? Which has the worst? Select your provider based on coverage issues ... then select your equipment based on your personal preferences.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
DacyJ
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (by Milton and his stapler.)

I have heard rumors that if you tell them you are changing carriers they will work with you, maybe cut you better deals.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
monkeypaw

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Tmobile's minutes and mail plan has 1,000 minutes, unlimited data and email, and unlimited sms for $59.99. The network is not nearly as extensive as AT&T, but I am surprised AT&T doesn't have something with similar services for about $90.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
betterlate1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F3519A
Carrier: Non-Smoking AT&T

I'm with AT&T and I get a 15% discount for being a government employee from them.

Please allow our military veterans to legally sign their name in this manner
John Q. Soldier, E6
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Technologic80

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Tmobile's minutes and mail plan has 1,000 minutes, unlimited data and email, and unlimited sms for $59.99. The network is not nearly as extensive as AT&T, but I am surprised AT&T doesn't have something with similar services for about $90.
I saw that!! I was wondering what their coverage and customer service is like? I might pop into one of their stores this week.

I still wonder if paying the extra $50 is worth it for the Storm. Im doing just fine with my Pearl 8110, but am a total tech-aholic.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Both of these points have already been stated but just emphasize:

- Consider real world (not based on coverage maps) coverage where you need it first.
- Try talking to your carrier's retentions department.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
raja_3012

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

TMobile customer service is just excellent. Although I do not have any experience with other carriers but I never had a complain about TMobile. It's USP is competitive rates. As "takeshi" pointed out you need to figure out the places you hang out the most and how does TMobile fare there.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Technologic80

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post

- Consider real world (not based on coverage maps) coverage where you need it first.
Basically at&t has the best service in my area, and where I travel.
Quote:
Sure, I did last night. Talked to 2 different representatives of At&t, the guy told me, verbatim "It doesnt affect my job if you go to Verizon so do what you want"
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
dasunst3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

+1 for T-Mobile -- here's what you get for $ 64.98:
  • 600 anytime minutes with unlimited nights and weekends
  • Unlimited web access
  • 400 text messages
Add another $ 10/mo and you can have unlimited calling whenever you're connected to a wifi hotspot. T-Mobile has been very good to me, so I would stick with them whenever possible.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
vballcoach

PIN: ask me for it
Carrier: Verizon, Always can hear me now

ok since we are providing input. you are looking at cost savings vs. network
can't really be done, you need to choose whats more important.
Network coverage or cost. once you decide that its easy.

I have had phones with every carrier.
Hands down Verizon has the best network, then AT&T, Sprint & TMO in that order

pricing and plan wise, Its a toss up between AT&T and Sprint, then anyone else
Verizon's plans suck, I will admit it. Their customer service is good and getting better
but for me, the network has priority.

If your ok with where your at (AT&T) then renew and try the curve or bold. If your really looking for opinions on the Storm, go into a VzW store and play with it..thats
the only real way for you to evaluate it and decide...
Old 12-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Technologic80

Quote:
Originally Posted by vballcoach View Post
ok since we are providing input. you are looking at cost savings vs. network
can't really be done, you need to choose whats more important.
Network coverage or cost. once you decide that its easy.

I have had phones with every carrier.
Hands down Verizon has the best network, then AT&T, Sprint & TMO in that order

pricing and plan wise, Its a toss up between AT&T and Sprint, then anyone else
Verizon's plans suck, I will admit it. Their customer service is good and getting better
but for me, the network has priority.

If your ok with where your at (AT&T) then renew and try the curve or bold. If your really looking for opinions on the Storm, go into a VzW store and play with it..thats
the only real way for you to evaluate it and decide...
The network isnt my priority - I dont travel very much and since I live in Metro Detroit - we have pretty good coverage with any carrier (sans MetroPCS).

I went to the Verizon store the other day and fell in love with the Storm, my friend also just got one. I would love to have one.

My main priority is value. And its not a shocking want either. The best consumer is the one who does their homework

I might go to the TMobile store tonight. Its probably going to be a toss up between TMo and Sprint.

I wonder if I get an unlocked Storm, can I bring it over to TMo or Sprint?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
ragorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

And there's nothing that says you HAVE to renew a contract when it expires. You can carry it month to month and wait for the deal that you like the best. They can NOT automatically extend a contract. I did it with my Razr to Curve switch. The premier site had a deal that I would have missed if I upgraded right away.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

Good suggestions

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

In defense of T-Mobile, my wife has had a prepaid phone with them for several years now. While the coverage with AT&T is better, T-Mobile is constantly expanding theirs. There have been several places where one year she had no coverage and then a year or two later she would.

How many of you calls are made to other AT&T subscribers? Calls within the same network, mobile-to-mobile, don't count against your monthly airtime. Maybe you make enough calls like that such that you could reduce you monthly minutes without affecting anything.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #16
CrazyBeautiful
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted

I've been with T-Mobile for about 5 years now. My husband was a Marine so we travled a lot. I love T-Mobile so much. Their customer service is the best I ever had and no matter where I was, even over seas, I always had signal. I've had in the past, Primco (looong time ago I know, I forget who they are now), AT&T and Sprint. Hated all of them. T-Mobile has been so good to me and my husband, I added my brother on our family plan. They always do what I want when I want and how I want. We pay for 3 people one blackberry package and 1 sidekick slide package, and unlimited text and insurance on all phones about $180 a month. And that's because my little brother keeps adding crap to his sidekick that you have to buy. So it comes out to about $60 a person. I make him pay for all his own sidekick mess though.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #17
BerryReporter

Model: 9530

I would say T-Mobile or AT&T. Verizon's 3G is really fast, but AT&T has the Bold, and T-Mobile will have the 8900! T-Mobiles downfall is their 3G is weak and so is AT&T's, but T-Mobile's data is $25 per month for unlimited BlackBerry data usage.
Berry Reporter Forum
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #18
Technologic80

Ok to answer somebody elses question, the people I talk to are spread about the networks. My Sister is At&t, my boss is Verizon, my best friend is Sprint.

So no favors going with any one network there..... I really like the idea of TMo's fave fives or whatever its called. Thats clever!

Nobody really mentioned Sprint, and thats the one provider I really like. Any feedback about Sprints 3G speeds? Their coverage is very good in my area, like I said they all are (sans MetroPCS) because I live in Metro Detroit.

I never made it to the TMo store, I will tomorrow or this weekend. I understand that I dont have to be tied to a contract and can go month-by-month with At&t, but am sick and tired of paying $115 a month for what I can get at Sprint for $89 a month. See where Im going with this? Big networks=same coverage in my area, but TMo and Sprint are much cheaper.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

If Sprint runs a good network in your area then why not consider them. Their network is one of the worst out in my area, so I don't mention them. That and the fact that they seem to be the last ones to get the newer Blackberries.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
Technologic80

Quote:
Originally Posted by radimus View Post
If Sprint runs a good network in your area then why not consider them. Their network is one of the worst out in my area, so I don't mention them. That and the fact that they seem to be the last ones to get the newer Blackberries.
I think I might. They have a nice Curve on display, when I was in the Sprint store last weekend.

I dont know if I mentioned this, but Sprint will give me 15% discount because I work for the gov't. Verizon would give me the discount too, but I had to jump through all kinds of hoops. I.e. fax a copy of my badge, W-2, and pay stub. Wth? With Sprint, the salesguy told me to just come in with a paystub. Score!
Closed Thread